Poison Oak - How can you tell where it is when riding?

Poison Oak - How can you tell where it is when riding? It seems to blend into everything up there? Seems like every time I ride in the forest I come into contact with poison oak! :foul:

 
I get it really bad. I can see it at night while blindfolded.

Usually riding gear should keep it off your skin. However, you have to observe a strict protocol so as not to get on your skin.
 
10% of people are immune to it. As a kid playing in the woods, all the other kids would get poison oak/poison ivy, I never did. A few months ago I took a small piece (got tons of it by where I live) and did a test on my forearm, just to see, nothing happened.

Soooo, KTMRack take a handfull and rub it on your forearm to see if you are immune to it......
 
No No No!! I am not immune to it! I have it on my wrists and neck! :foul: Now my son does not have any, he must be one of the 10%.
10% of people are immune to it. As a kid playing in the woods, all the other kids would get poison oak/poison ivy, I never did. A few months ago I took a small piece (got tons of it by where I live) and did a test on my forearm, just to see, nothing happened.

Soooo, KTMRack take a handfull and rub it on your forearm to see if you are immune to it......
 
10% of people are immune to it. As a kid playing in the woods, all the other kids would get poison oak/poison ivy, I never did. A few months ago I took a small piece (got tons of it by where I live) and did a test on my forearm, just to see, nothing happened.

Soooo, KTMRack take a handfull and rub it on your forearm to see if you are immune to it......
I am immune to both Poison Oak and Poison Ivy. A good way to tell is to rub some on your "dice" and see if there is any reaction. If so, sooth with Chili pepper oil. :prof:
 
No No No!! I am not immune to it! I have it on my wrists and neck! :foul: Now my son does not have any, he must be one of the 10%.
You have to make sure you don't touch your skin with your gloved hands that may have had contact with the poison plants. The plants secrete oils that can give you the itch via ANYTHING that touches them. So, when you crash during a ride, wrestle with your bike, then scratch your neck, you're gonna need an ocean of Calamine lotion. You probably got it from your gloves when you fastened your helmet strap and took on/off your gloves. (Neck and wrist areas) Soap and water is the only thing you can use to get the oils off bikes and equipment. Since it's an oil, it can hang onto things for a long time and you can get it weeks later from touching a tainted object.
 
You have to make sure you don't touch your skin with your gloved hands that may have had contact with the poison plants. The plants secrete oils that can give you the itch via ANYTHING that touches them. So, when you crash during a ride, wrestle with your bike, then scratch your neck, you're gonna need an ocean of Calamine lotion. You probably got it from your gloves when you fastened your helmet strap and took on/off your gloves. (Neck and wrist areas) Soap and water is the only thing you can use to get the oils off bikes and equipment. Since it's an oil, it can hang onto things for a long time and you can get it weeks later from touching a tainted object.
Yes that's the propocol that I was talking about before. Once exposed there is a very limited time to wash the offending material away. After about six hours it's too late. By observing the proper protocol I've waded through the stuff and got away with very minimal exposure. Hard to do when crashing I know.
 
i'm deathly allergic to poison oak and ivy. when i get it, it always results in a trip to the er followed up by steroid, cortisone and epinephrine shots :\

in fact i probably got it in my eyeballs now just from looking at those pics of it :(
 
Only the week ge sick!! I never get it cuz when i was a kid i used to roll in it and get it all over and after a while it just stopped affecting me,now i am strong like bull.
So what you need to do is just go roll around in it as much as you can and you will become immune to it. Let me know how it all pans out for ya.
 
funny thing is i can take poison sumac and practically eat the stuff and no problem... poison oak and ivy though you might as well forget it. oak especially. it's over if i come anywhere near that crap. talking about a 2-4 week vacation in hell, on the couch sweating and itching and pussing and just being miserable :( sucks...

oh and yeah i had it on my arse before, i had a roll in the bush(pun intended) with a girl at a party one night and next day we both were covered head to toe and everywhere in between :shocked: lol it was so worth it though :thumb:
 
Top