Picked up our first bikes! WR450F & TTR125LE

I think I have only heard one person AFTER a crash say that they had wished they hadn't spent so much money on gear. One of the patriarch's of the shop that RACK sends his money to whether they need it or not once told me when I was looking at helmets in his shop that "of course I am trying to sell you the best helmet I have, but just think of how much you would be willing to spend if you could feeze the action the next time you are about to hit something: How much would you spend RIGHT then?"

You just have to sift out what is marketing and what is function and fit.

If your wife has one of the jobs (or you do) that requires the use of "strong" hands you may want to look at some wrist guards. I started using them some time back when I was showing a friend of mine (she is a physical therapist) how to ride and she said she was treating lots of wrist injuries and a lot of them were from skate boarders and dirt bike riders. I never used to use them, but she wanted them since without her wrists she is out of work. The skate board shops have some pretty good ones that are cheap, almost like they expect you to throw them away.

Gloves for me are now coming from places that sell them to mechanics for the most part.

But you have the right idea, and that is dress for the get offs. Those come sooner or later and as was pointed out, being able to get up and ride home is penultimate.

The next thing I think I would buy would be as was suggested when you were shopping and that is a riding school. Don't discount the importance of getting off on the right food habit wise there. It will make every bike you will ever own faster and safer. It is worth way more than any bike mod. Suspension mods can't hold a candle to it. Anyway, I would be considering it and the purchase of the videos most good schools offer as the next thing. (Even if you have friends who have been riding as long as I have, you will gain way more from the school, and won't be subjected to picking up the bad habits that they don't even know they have.)

Good point on the wrist guards, I will talk to her and see what she thinks about them.

As for the riding school. Thats exactly how we started. I signed us up for a 2 day motorcycle training and licensing class, so that she can get a good foundation. Luckily she loved riding and after a few hours it all came easy to her. Do you mean a dirt bike class though? Wasn't aware that there were any.

I do recall you talking about the licensing class now. I was thinking about the dirt riding school. A lot of them are race oriented, but a fundamemtals class starts out the same. Hands down best teacher I have seen for new ones is Mercedes Gonzales, but I don't have any idea if she is still giving courses. Gary Semics and Gary Bailey both had some good tapes available. They are a good place to start. I encourage anyone to video themselves though as in any sport and see if you are actually doing the prescribed moves. It makes the learning faster.

The most basic drill I know, and it works to gain confidence is doing repeated figure 8's. You do them on "everything". You do them at different speeds. When you want to start going faster you turn up the intensity and the amount of gears shifted between the turns. If you do them until you sweat you wont believe how much better you get at braking, turning, and shifting. Add some drills on starting out on different grades and side hills and you will have a great set of skills that will easily adapt to a lot of what you are going to do on trails.

I am sure y ou were told to look far ahead when you ride. For dirt lots do well if they scan out to a point in the distance and then back in to the front of the bike. We share trails, so looking side to side and being aware all the time of your surroundings is something everyone should constantly remind themselves to do.

You'll be happy with those bikes for sure. I've been riding nearly 40yrs and actually ride a ttr125l on a regular basis. I hammer mine and do nothing but change the oil. A buddy of mine rode it trail riding with us at Carolina motorsports park and we did some pretty gnarly stuff at a pretty fast clip. Good luck :thumb:

great choices...now spend several hundred dollars on gear for each of you and always wear it. You are going to fall off and it is a lot more fun to go home a little tired n sore than it is to be hurt. Ive seen many people get all the gear.......BUT not use knee/shin guards under the riding pants and get nasty knee injuries-cuts n scrapes...stupid
yeah get the the gear you wont regret it my friend just had a bad fall didnt listen to me when i told him to buy his gear and he cant ride for a few days and he missed work days