Open Utility Trailers

Those jacks suck ballz..... They always get drug on something and then either die then.. Or never work again... And waist alot of time jacking... With a swivall.. just get it off the ground.. And swival it around.. And its up out of the way... Are you able you open your "trunk" with that jack??

LED lights look :cool: ... And draw MUCH less energy :D

We built ours out of an old pop up camper, fits 4 bikes :)
165759_174801375893421_100000906795480_365891_2988459_n.jpg

James

Staff member
And add a tool box, and a gas can rack.
I could see that being added, however I'm not spending a week in the dez....so. :noidea:

:thumb: Now your stuff is exposed to the elements and you will need to lock all your stuff on the trailer so it does not walk away when parked...
Yeah that's the bittersweet part. Enclosed is heavier, protects your gear, and with some work you can cram two bikes inside it. Open has room for a lot more bikes, is lighter, but can't "lock" it.

Seeing as I store my bikes and gear in the garage and don't have a big truck anymore, open seems to be the best route.
Those jacks suck ballz.....
I don't even use the jack on my enclosed, just pick it up and plop it on the hitch, no sense in cranking it.

James

Staff member
I still think a box to put tie downs, oil, antifreeze, chain lube, carb cleaner, a small air compressor, some tubes, levers, duct tape, zip ties, and oh yeah, some tools.
Would you put a long box across the front or one on either side. :thinking: Might be better to just put a small one at the back, I'm trying to keep weight off the tongue.

Do tell grasshoppa, why would I waste money on that? :noidea:

Now a waste for the jack...... Those jacks take forever to crank up/down.... if we're talking abotu the same kind, a swivel jack all you have to do is raise it enough to get on the ball and the wheel off the ground then swivel it out of the way and lock it in place. OR you can go all out and put an electric jack on it.... :banana:

i agree with then swivel jack. when i borrow Strega's it has that on it and its nice... get wheel off ground and swivel and lock it up :thumb:

I still think a box to put tie downs, oil, antifreeze, chain lube, carb cleaner, a small air compressor, some tubes, levers, duct tape, zip ties, and oh yeah, some tools.

So you don't have to carry it inside your SOCCER MOBILE.... :P. the gas can rack is good for this reason too!

James

Staff member
I keep the jack cranked up, just pick up the trailer and put it on the ball. Heck it has a tongue weight of what, 30-40 lbs? However yes if you have a big (heavy) trailer, a swivel jack would be perfect.

I keep the jack cranked up, just pick up the trailer and put it on the ball. Heck it has a tongue weight of what, 30-40 lbs? However yes if you have a big (heavy) trailer, a swivel jack would be perfect.

If you keep it up on a block the same height as the hitch, that's a way to go.... until your back goes out. :foul:.... :cry:

:thumb: I got a block. But yeah in 5-10 years the back probably won't like it anymore. :lol:
my uncle just had to have surgery on his back because a year or 2 ago an enclosed started to slip off the blocks while they were backing the truck up. Now this trailer was full of a couple thousands pounds of music equipment and he is in his 40's, but still he is reduced to sitting on the couch everyday and always in pain. I would hate to see it happen to anyone else