Open Utility Trailers

Yes we're only talking about 1000-1500 lbs of cargo. Talked with a riding buddy that used to build trailers, he suggested that the aluminium would be a better option.

I don't think you guys realize how small an enclosed 5x10 v-nose actually is. At the max you should (technically) be able to put two full sized bikes in it, however you'll have to change/add the tie-down hooks (and also wheel chocks). The thing that people tend to forget about is that you need to allow room for the bars.

My trailer's only 57" (4' 9") wide on the inside. Bars are 32" wide and bikes are ~86-88" (7+ ft) long.

The reason I want an open trailer is for less weight and being able to haul more bikes. Yes I'd prefer an enclosed trailer however it just isn't doable right now. Plus if/when I do go back to an enclosed, I'm probably going with a 8x20 (if not bigger). That way I can actually put in some cabinets/bench. I used to have a little wall cabinet in the 5x10, however I kept on hitting it....it wasn't in for long. So Jax, there's no way that an "air up mattress, genny, frige" is going in there. :lol:
I get it, but if i can get 3 full size bikes in my little ranger i think the trailer could do it. And with the v-nose you could have a workbench cabinet upfront so it wouldn't take up any "real" room. But like i said, i see why you would want to be able to haul more bikes

I get it, but if i can get 3 full size bikes in my little ranger i think the trailer could do it. And with the v-nose you could have a workbench cabinet upfront so it wouldn't take up any "real" room. But like i said, i see why you would want to be able to haul more bikes

I dont...dont you only have 2 bikes James? :smirk:

WHy not just find a used 3 rail, bolt some boxes or ad a grated floor between the rails and you have a light cheap trlr. That's what everyone used back in the 80's because there really was no such thing as an enclosed trlr. You can find 3 rails cheap on CL

James

Staff member
I've lost track of how many times I've said this, but you're forgetting about the bars. On the ranger they can stick out over the side.

Workbench? You're kidding me right? :lol: The "V" is all of 5-6".

WHy not just find a used 3 rail, bolt some boxes or ad a grated floor between the rails and you have a light cheap trlr. That's what everyone used back in the 80's because there really was no such thing as an enclosed trlr. You can find 3 rails cheap on CL

You can make a 3 rail out of a boat trailer really easy...With no welder or torches probably... Exspecially if you are crafty..

The way I see it, go with steel. Aluminum is over priced, and weak. To compensate for its weakness, more material has to be added, which pretty much voids the weight savings, and it will crack, which is a major pain to constantly keep ahead of. Also, what ever size you think you need, go bigger. You'll find yourself one day cramming the thing full, and still will be needing more room. You can also air out the wallet and buy new, but if you look around for a used, large wheel trailer(14 inch minimum), I'm sure you can find something that would work.

The way I see it, go with steel. Aluminum is over priced, and weak. To compensate for its weakness, more material has to be added, which pretty much voids the weight savings, and it will crack, which is a major pain to constantly keep ahead of. Also, what ever size you think you need, go bigger. You'll find yourself one day cramming the thing full, and still will be needing more room. You can also air out the wallet and buy new, but if you look around for a used, large wheel trailer(14 inch minimum), I'm sure you can find something that would work.

Yeah, utility trailers aren't tha expensive anyways especially if you're thinking of a single axle (just a WAG...wild ass guess). An 18ft tandom might cost roughly $2k... maybe closer to $2500 and that's with full sized wheels. So a used one (depending on how old and size) would be around $1k - $1500... or (obviously) less if older than that.

You can go the TIMO route and find a boat trailer and build your own... :thumb: .... thought I'd throw a little atta-boy in there! :smirk: