Open Utility Trailers

James

Staff member
Looking to sell my enclosed 5x10 for an open trailer, they're lighter and can haul more bikes. :ride:

My main question is, aluminum or steel? Plus is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Looking to sell my enclosed 5x10 for an open trailer, they're lighter and can haul more bikes. :ride:

My main question is, aluminum or steel? Plus is there anything else I need to watch out for?
how much do you want? I need a trailer baaad!

James

Staff member
how much do you want? I need a trailer baaad!
$2,000
Steel that is 5x10 is around 650..with rear gate with medium height sides.. .....Aluminum that was 6'6x10 with gate and no sides ..LED's...is 610

http://www.goldengait.com/trailers/2012-carryon-10-utility-trailer-6396.html

http://www.goldengait.com/trailers/2012-featherlite-10-utility-trailer-6191.html
You're talking about the weight right, because those trailers cost more than that.

I'd like this 6.5'x10'. My bike's ~7 ft so I could put a few of them in sideways.
http://www.johnstrailersales.com/trailer-types/item/rc-open-aluminum-utility.html?category_id=12

I think I'm going to go talk to them tomorrow. :thumb:

nevamind :eek: I think I'm gonna build one... or gonna look for a 3 rail or a flat trailer... what size would be good for my 250, something like a drz 125, and 2 jr 50s? I'm thinking I could go 6x8, but would it be OK to pull all that with a 4 cylinder car?

I don't think i would personally go with the aluminium trailer. I had seen so many cracked frames and buckled decks on them that they scare me. But with that being said, you are just hauling bikes. Not hauling cars and landscaping with it. Have to wonder why your selling the enclosed? Thats my ideal set-up there. You have somewhere to put your bike overnight, tools, workbench and all the goodies if you want and can still haul 2-3 bikes. But thats just what i would have

I will trade you my 8ft for your enclose :smirk: Keep the enclosed man...you can carry a air up mattress, genny, frige and your gold! You can camp in that bad boy.

James

Staff member
nevamind :eek: I think I'm gonna build one... or gonna look for a 3 rail or a flat trailer... what size would be good for my 250, something like a drz 125, and 2 jr 50s? I'm thinking I could go 6x8, but would it be OK to pull all that with a 4 cylinder car?
The problem with enclosed trailers are that you have to make room for the bars. I'd go at least 7 ft wide, that way you can pretty much put them in sideways.
I bought a old flat bottom boat trailer for $250, and did a little fab rework to make my trailer.

View attachment 7574
Unfortunately we aren't gifted with your "fab" no-how, but more importantly I don't have the tools for that type of fab work.

I like the looks and weight of those aluminum ones... I just dont like how they have no sides... Then again if you have no sides you can unload the bike basically anywhere around it.

James

Staff member
I don't think i would personally go with the aluminium trailer. I had seen so many cracked frames and buckled decks on them that they scare me. But with that being said, you are just hauling bikes. Not hauling cars and landscaping with it.
Yes we're only talking about 1000-1500 lbs of cargo. Talked with a riding buddy that used to build trailers, he suggested that the aluminium would be a better option.
Have to wonder why your selling the enclosed? Thats my ideal set-up there. You have somewhere to put your bike overnight, tools, workbench and all the goodies if you want and can still haul 2-3 bikes. But thats just what i would have
I will trade you my 8ft for your enclose :smirk: Keep the enclosed man...you can carry a air up mattress, genny, frige and your gold! You can camp in that bad boy.
I don't think you guys realize how small an enclosed 5x10 v-nose actually is. At the max you should (technically) be able to put two full sized bikes in it, however you'll have to change/add the tie-down hooks (and also wheel chocks). The thing that people tend to forget about is that you need to allow room for the bars.

My trailer's only 57" (4' 9") wide on the inside. Bars are 32" wide and bikes are ~86-88" (7+ ft) long.

The reason I want an open trailer is for less weight and being able to haul more bikes. Yes I'd prefer an enclosed trailer however it just isn't doable right now. Plus if/when I do go back to an enclosed, I'm probably going with a 8x20 (if not bigger). That way I can actually put in some cabinets/bench. I used to have a little wall cabinet in the 5x10, however I kept on hitting it....it wasn't in for long. So Jax, there's no way that an "air up mattress, genny, frige" is going in there. :lol: