Old Race Pics

A couple of things. 1) When you are done with the chair can we have it back? :noidea:. 2) What place did you finish in the race? :noidea:
1 - I have no idea what chair you are talking about...:devil:
2 - Not sure how many signed up, 46 got credited with a finish. I was the third wave to go and there was only 4 guys behind me that started on the same wave as I. I had over 30, 40, 50 experts and 125 Ex/Am take of on the first 2 rows. I worked my way up to 20th overall and 4th 40+ Intermediate out of 10 that finished.

James

Staff member
1 - I have no idea what chair you are talking about...:devil:
2 - Not sure how many signed up, 46 got credited with a finish. I was the third wave to go and there was only 4 guys behind me that started on the same wave as I. I had over 30, 40, 50 experts and 125 Ex/Am take of on the first 2 rows. I worked my way up to 20th overall and 4th 40+ Intermediate out of 10 that finished.
:thumb: Not to shabby for an old guy. :P

Got any more pictures? :devil:

:thumb: Not to shabby for an old guy. :P

Got any more pictures? :devil:
Yeah I'm an old guy, but my skills are lacking now.

Ok, so here is a picture I found over the weekend. One of my favorites. Good story behind this picture.

scan0023.jpg

Here is the story:
So this was a dual euro scramble and I came in Second the first day and this was from the 2nd day. I was sitting on the line next to the guy who finished 3rd the day before and he was asking me what type of motor work I had done. I just looked at him and said, FMF did some clean up work on the cylinder and porting :devil:.

So the banner drops and I get the jump and am out front leading to the bomb. Just pass the bomb the #1 plate from Team Green goes smoking by me. I hang for awhile and he slowly pulls away. I maintain my 2nd place stature and am having a clean ride. Just pass the finish shoot before you hit the open desert to start the 3rd loop, my dad holds up his arms and gives me the "you got a big lead on 3rd" sign. So I grab 5th and I am tapped across the desert. I take a quick look over my shoulder and sure enough I see no dust behind me for a ways. I'm thinking "sweet, 2 2nds will give me some good points on the weekend." I slow down to navigate a technical section and then I am off clicking gears again across another valley. But wait, I hear the sound of another 2 stroker behind me. I glance over my shoulder and sure enough it is the kid that was asking me about my mods on the starting line. He is now up my ass:rant:. So I get over the bars and put the hammer down and pull a little on him but my mind is :thinking: trying to figure out where he came from. Just then as I am tapped with nothing left in that 250 motor, I clip a rock..:doh: I get in this big tank slapper and next thing you know I am hop, skipping and tumbling across the desert floor. The dude pulls up and asked if I am alright and sees that I am moving and off he goes.

I collect myself and grab my bent up bike and off I go. I am pissed :foul:I take off and my bars are pointing to the left at about a 20% angle causing me to keep going off the trail. I pull up next to a rock and bang my wheel against the rock to get them a little straight and hit the trail again. I knock the cob webs out of my head and start clicking again. I can start to see his dust and think, I have time to reel him in. I came up short and ended up 3rd. I looked at my dad and said "What the hell happen there" He said that people were telling him that he was cutting a section on the course and making up huge chunks of time on me. Later it turned out that the race officials also saw this and DQ'd his ass. So I was credited with my 2 2nds for the weekend, but now I had to do damage control on the bike all week to get ready for the next weekend.

:thumb: Another sweet story CDA, :lol: I'm with Trav on the CP.

Are those "rolling" tear-offs I see?
If you look at the Green and Pink Checker pattern on the front, that is the Lost Coyotes symbol. Yes the old roll-off days. Those where the best until you had a malfunction and you had streams of roll-offs flying behind you. try clicking across the desert in 5th and have that flapping tape grab a bush. Talk about whipping the head around. I watch a little 125 guy get cleaned off his bike from that..:lol:

:focus: So I was at my Dad's this last Friday and Saturday in Arizona celebrating his 80th birthday:banana:. Of course once we get caught up on the normal life stuff like how are the kids, work stuff and everything else, the bench racing begins. We were in his reading room and I saw the below picture in a frame on the wall and remembered that he took that. This picture was taken at the Adelanto GP in '93. This was the famous waterhole jump and they put this big grandstand by it so people could sit and watch everybody crash. My wife has been to a handful of my events with me, but has yet to watch a GP where you can actually see the riders more than just entering the pits and leaving. So I told her to go hang out in the grandstand and she could see me come by.

So the picture was snapped a little too early, but I actually turned my head and waved at the stands to my Wife to find out later she was not even looking at me...:rant: She was probably checking out some faster dude or being hit on by the other racers in the stand....

Anyways I only have the one picture for you here today...
CDA.jpg

And yes that is a KX500 I am on.
So i found a picture that goes with this posting. This was at the start of the race chillin in the street. Lined up next to an old friend I use to race against in the 80's and we did some short catching up, before the banner dropped.

scan0026.jpg

Hey look, his hand guards match my Chest Protector..:lol:

Another awesome story and pic CDA!

So here is a story...I know a guy who was an incrediable rider. He didnt have much money. He had an old 426 and just decided one day to show up at a district 36 race up North. He was so fast that they didnt believe he rode the whole course. They didnt give him the 1st place because they didnt believe he was THAT fast, in fact they said impossible! He was pissed! the race was at a place he rode almost everyday and he knew it well. Then he did another race, some place else. This time they were all keeping a close eye on him thinking he was a cheater. He smoked everyone again! It was then I guess the club president realized he really IS that fast and apologized and gave him credit. He never did race much because he never had much money or his shit together enough. His bike was worth more then his ratty old Toyota pick up truck that was barely running. One time while I was in San Jose he decided to do a race at Metcalf last minute. I told him because I was near by I'd meet him and help pit for him. He shows up with no ramp, a ratty old gas jug and an extra pair of goggles. He shows me where he is putting it for me to help him when he comes to pit. I look around and see all these fancy pit set ups. And then here's his poor, pathetic ratty jug and goggles sitting there looking all out of place and randomly placed. Well...I had never pit anyone before. And we didnt discuss any details ahead of time. So I sit and wait and watch as riders start to come in. One rider that came in next to me started loosing it on his crew (family) He was disgusting! Yelling at them calling them F'ing idiots and grabbing the jug from them etc...It made me so nervous just watching him react like that. I thought he must be in a fight for first place and it must be for title. I also thought oh snap! What if I screw up? So in rolls my friend, I grab the goggles instead of the jug 1st, he asks for the jug but calls it something else so I dont even know what the hell he wants LOL then suddenly 4 guys swoop in all around him and take over. Saying to him "dude! Your smoking everyone out there!" "he laughed and said "really? Cool!" Then turned and waved to me and yelled "thanks" before taking off. Gee, he even thanked me for screwing up! While the family of the jerk who had just pulled away watched. I was embarassed for them and somewhat for myself fumbling through the pit procedure. I will say, there was a certain amount of pride and coolness that came when he smoked every class out there! I think it was so cool because he had come with NOTHING! Not even glanced at as competition by other riders. Bare bones racing at its finest! With barely enough money for entry and gas. No new rubber, just pure passion, determination and skill. That was a sweet win to watch:thumb: I was so happy for him!

Anyhow:focus:OLD RACE PICS

So here is a story...I know a guy who was an incrediable rider. He didnt have much money. He had an old 426 and just decided one day to show up at a district 36 race up North. He was so fast that they didnt believe he rode the whole course. They didnt give him the 1st place because they didnt believe he was THAT fast, in fact they said impossible! He was pissed! the race was at a place he rode almost everyday and he knew it well. Then he did another race, some place else. This time they were all keeping a close eye on him thinking he was a cheater. He smoked everyone again! It was then I guess the club president realized he really IS that fast and apologized and gave him credit. He never did race much because he never had much money or his shit together enough. His bike was worth more then his ratty old Toyota pick up truck that was barely running. One time while I was in San Jose he decided to do a race at Metcalf last minute. I told him because I was near by I'd meet him and help pit for him. He shows up with no ramp, a ratty old gas jug and an extra pair of goggles. He shows me where he is putting it for me to help him when he comes to pit. I look around and see all these fancy pit set ups. And then here's his poor, pathetic ratty jug and goggles sitting there looking all out of place and randomly placed. Well...I had never pit anyone before. And we didnt discuss any details ahead of time. So I sit and wait and watch as riders start to come in. One rider that came in next to me started loosing it on his crew (family) He was disgusting! Yelling at them calling them F'ing idiots and grabbing the jug from them etc...It made me so nervous just watching him react like that. I thought he must be in a fight for first place and it must be for title. I also thought oh snap! What if I screw up? So in rolls my friend, I grab the goggles instead of the jug 1st, he asks for the jug but calls it something else so I dont even know what the hell he wants LOL then suddenly 4 guys swoop in all around him and take over. Saying to him "dude! Your smoking everyone out there!" "he laughed and said "really? Cool!" Then turned and waved to me and yelled "thanks" before taking off. Gee, he even thanked me for screwing up! While the family of the jerk who had just pulled away watched. I was embarassed for them and somewhat for myself fumbling through the pit procedure. I will say, there was a certain amount of pride and coolness that came when he smoked every class out there! I think it was so cool because he had come with NOTHING! Not even glanced at as competition by other riders. Bare bones racing at its finest! With barely enough money for entry and gas. No new rubber, just pure passion, determination and skill. That was a sweet win to watch:thumb: I was so happy for him!

:thumb: Now that is a cool story. I was that "Jerk" for a short period during my advancement in rankings. My mom threaten me that she would not come out to my races if I did not change my attitude. Oh course being cocky, I tested that theory out. Guess what? She stayed home the next weekend. I then learned to handle every event as just another trail ride and the next thing you know I was doing better and having a better time. The results sure did show as well after that.

Thanks for sharing that story Sun..:thumb:

So i found a picture that goes with this posting. This was at the start of the race chillin in the street. Lined up next to an old friend I use to race against in the 80's and we did some short catching up, before the banner dropped.

scan0026.jpg

Hey look, his hand guards match my Chest Protector..:lol:

you have a crap load of gear dont ya?

that is way cool. Love to hear about cool peps doing good :thumb: thanks for sharing that story

Absolutely a great story.......again..."You can't judge a book by it's cover" :prof:.....:thumb: