• OEM only

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • High quality filter such as K&N or OEM

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Scotts Stainless

• Cheaper Stainless

• Bargain filters(tusk, neutron,flow etc..)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • K&N

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
So what is quality, the filter or the name on the box?

Now since I ride a Beta I have no choice at all. It's OEM only. Well not quite as I have managed to find a cross to a hydraulic filter. Since it is also $10+ I'll be using the OEM ones which I'm about 99% sure are the exact same filter.

HiFlo makes a filter for the Beta Carl. This brand is what George has used for years in all the Husqvarna bikes. I buy them in a group of 10 and get them for 5.99 each. Part # HF631

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/why-hiflo

So to answer this stupid poll. HiFlo is the "ONLY" filter I use.

HiFlo makes a filter for the Beta Carl. This brand is what George has used for years in all the Husqvarna bikes. I buy them in a group of 10 and get them for 5.99 each. Part # HF631

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/why-hiflo

So to answer this stupid poll. HiFlo is the "ONLY" filter I use.

I found this a little while after I wrote that post. I bought one more $15 OEM filter since I was buying some stuff at the dealer. After buying new springs and some other miscellaneous minor stuff what was a filter. In the future it will be HiFlo.

Now it's time to flush the forks, install new springs and regrease all head tube and linkage/swingarm.

I found this a little while after I wrote that post. I bought one more $15 OEM filter since I was buying some stuff at the dealer. After buying new springs and some other miscellaneous minor stuff what was a filter. In the future it will be HiFlo.

Now it's time to flush the forks, install new springs and regrease all head tube and linkage/swingarm.

Forgot to mention, I order them through Cycle City in Lake Forest and just pick them up. There are a couple on-line places that if you order 15 it is free shipping on about 6.78 each. If you have an independent bike shop around just ask them for a 10 grip price and see if you can get a deal.

I can tell you guys right now I know as of last year with 99.9% +/- 1% that HI-Flo Filtro makes the K&N oil filter. They come off the same line out of the same factory. This information came out of the K&N reps mouth at a dealer show. For the next 30 minutes he was trying to justify the added cost of the K&N, saying it isn't just a name that it is a better filter. :naughty:

I have always used Hi-Flo Filtro oil filters in all my bikes and I have not had a single motor failure....Knock on wood... I agree with most of the posts above, I think there is one MAYBE two filter manufacturers and they just put different names on the box.

The stainless filters are cool and they are practical but I have seen pictures of them failing and it is not pretty. Any ways thats my two cents and with another 98 you can get a cup of coffee.

That right there Brock is "exactly" why I would "NEVER" use a SS filter. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! :thumb:

I like the High quality such as K&N or OEM, as long as the filter from K&N/OEM is coming from HiFlo Filtro it is considered "High Quality". LOL

Trolloco, You crack me up.

I use the stockers as I get them for about $7 ea. I looked at the SS and was not too excited about using them.

What kind of failures do the stainless steel filters have?

James,

I saw some pictures somewhere the filter was sucked in look like it was run over by a car and the element inside was all mushroomed out. I have seen a couple different filter like this. I can't remember where the pictures are or I would post them up.

Now I know you can go by that because you dont know the whole backround of the story. The owner could have thought the stainless filter last forever and never need to be changed I dont know.

Bottom line is I dont think it matters what filter you use as long as you keep to a routine maintenance schedule you should be fine.

I've never been one to like the Stainless, but.... Isn't paper easier to smash?

I'm willing to bet 99% of any of todays engine failure caused by Oil or Oil filter faults, is from operator error.