Newer Bike for the Boy

I have a friend with a 2005 Honda CRF450. It has a large tank on it and has not been too abused. Just had a valve job and some maintenance and he is asking $2500. I am thinking about picking this up for my son who has out grown his 150R. It is a big step but I have always told people who think a 450 is too big just not to turn the throttle all the way and get used to it. I really wanted to get him a 250 but there is not much difference in weight or size. Anyone of you have any input as to this bike, price or anything else?

I have a friend with a 2005 Honda CRF450. It has a large tank on it and has not been too abused. Just had a valve job and some maintenance and he is asking $2500. I am thinking about picking this up for my son who has out grown his 150R. It is a big step but I have always told people who think a 450 is too big just not to turn the throttle all the way and get used to it. I really wanted to get him a 250 but there is not much difference in weight or size. Anyone of you have any input as to this bike, price or anything else?

I don't think a 450 is a bad call :thumb:

I agree, those who know their limits will do fine. I jumped from a 150 trail bike to a 250F race bike, I had plenty adjustment time, and now I'm up in the ranks :thumb:

150 to a 450 is a huge jump for anyone. If you do go through with it and he races I would recommend a whole season off to adjust to the bike, you are talking 60-80 pounds of added weight, and 30+ more horsepower. Just my 2 cents.

I think that would be a huge jump too. I would recommend a 250f.

I dont know how the prices are over in Cali...but I sold my 2008 CRF250r for $2500 about 2 years ago. So that price for the 05 seems kinda steep to me.

Asking $2500 and getting $2500 are two different things. You said CRF450. Is that an R or an X? The X's go for more $$$ and $2500 isn't too bad.

He's riding desert though right? I'd say stick him on the 450f and go ride. :ride:

If he's going to race motocross though I'd say a 250f, a 450 would probably be a tad much. :noidea:
Rally James? Coming from someone who rides a 250f on a daily bases, but would not throw his leg over a 450 when out in our high desert?

Big Wave Dave - I would not put your son on a 450 from 150. All this "don't twist the throttle that much" is all great until you get a little out of shape in some whoops and your right wrist grabs a handful. What happens when he gets in a rocky technical area and grab a fist full of throttle and "launches" the 450 straight up? You want him to enjoy his riding out there with you and keep his confidence up and feel comfortable on the bike. I would make a jump to a 250 for awhile before making the jump to a 450. My son is not a bad rider and he had the option to get a 450 or 350. Rode both and was faster on the 350 in the dez than the 450, plus he felt a lot more comfortable on the 350.

Just saying...

Rally James? Coming from someone who rides a 250f on a daily bases, but would not throw his leg over a 450 when out in our high desert?

Big Wave Dave - I would not put your son on a 450 from 150. All this "don't twist the throttle that much" is all great until you get a little out of shape in some whoops and your right wrist grabs a handful. What happens when he gets in a rocky technical area and grab a fist full of throttle and "launches" the 450 straight up? You want him to enjoy his riding out there with you and keep his confidence up and feel comfortable on the bike. I would make a jump to a 250 for awhile before making the jump to a 450. My son is not a bad rider and he had the option to get a 450 or 350. Rode both and was faster on the 350 in the dez than the 450, plus he felt a lot more comfortable on the 350.

Just saying...

Ditto X2. Come on Dave, you are looking at to big of a jump for him. Admit it, you are tinkering with the idea and using the boy as a stepping stone to get the bike for yourself. :busted: Now go find him a nice 250 that is not beat to crap. As far as lighter to pick up go 2T. He can handle it, but not a toad to pick up after a get off.

Don't forget about having to kick start it. Pass on the 450 and find a 250 :prof:

We just moved GMan to a 250 from the 85. He too spent a few days with CDA Jr riding 250's, 350's, 450's and a 570. The "E-Start" 250 was the ideal bike for GMan.

Don't forget about having to kick start it. Pass on the 450 and find a 250 :prof:

We just moved GMan to a 250 from the 85. He too spent a few days with CDA Jr riding 250's, 350's, 450's and a 570. The "E-Start" 250 was the ideal bike for GMan.
CDA Jr's bike upgrades were as follows. PW50 -> KX65 -> YZ85 -> YZ250F -> YZ250 smoker -> KTM350