New Tires

I have been running a Bridgestone Gritty ED78 on the rear for the last year or so along with the M603 Bridgestone in front. The front seemed a bit slippery lately so I replaced the front with the new Dunlap 51 which takes the place of the 756. I have heard nothing but good reviews on this new tire. I was going to try the Maxxis in the rear but after looking at them and getting input from someone who has raced using both, I went with the Gritty again. The Maxxis is quite square compared to the roundness of the Gritty and I don't think turning on a square tire works very well. :thinking: I have never had anything bad to say of the Gritty so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Some of you guys run those enduro tires but I can't see them working for my style of riding. Just my opinion here.

I had been running the Gritty's also, and really liked them. Besides good traction and wear, they offer excellent rim protection. This last time I went to the local shop to get a new one, I was pretty bummed that there were no more Gritty's in stock.:pout: So, instead, I took a chance on a Michellin Cross Competition S-12. The price was low and the knobbies tall. Seriously, I have never seen knobbies so tall. I think it hooks up better than the Gritty, especially in the sand washes that I love to ride. So far it looks to be wearing pretty good too.

NewYearsOW2011019.jpg

Haven't tried a gritty before. I have the Scorpion MX eTra on the rear of the four fity and I like the way it runs. I like a little lose action in the rear to help steer. I have a MX71 mounted on my other steed, but have not run it yet to see how it works...Maybe in a couple weeks...

I had been running the Gritty's also, and really liked them. Besides good traction and wear, they offer excellent rim protection. This last time I went to the local shop to get a new one, I was pretty bummed that there were no more Gritty's in stock.:pout: So, instead, I took a chance on a Michellin Cross Competition S-12. The price was low and the knobbies tall. Seriously, I have never seen knobbies so tall. I think it hooks up better than the Gritty, especially in the sand washes that I love to ride. So far it looks to be wearing pretty good too.

View attachment 1291
I will be interested in how these work out and how long they last. Always looking for some good rubber for the bikes. :thumb:

How does the MotoZ grip? It looks very knarly but that doesn't always mean better traction. :noidea:
In deep sand and soft dirt they are fantastic, as good as any sand tire I've ever used, and they have way better tread life than say a Dunlop 756. The only idiosyncrasy that I've found with them is that, because they are made from natural rubber instead of synthetic, they need to warm up before they start working. A half a lap is plenty of time to get enough heat in them for them to start gripping. The rear hooks up exceptionally well in acceleration and very good in braking, and both ends turn very well, with a very slow and predictable loss of traction when you reach the limits. The one thing I used to hate about the 756 (and the 752 before that) is how they would break traction when leaned over in turns suddenly and without warning.

The rear is also directional. Mine are mounted in the "sand" direction. If you spin it around, it becomes more of an intermediate tire. All in all, excellent tires. :thumb:

The tire you see on the YZ-F next to the KX is a Dunlop 755 sand tire. It works very well in acceleration and braking, but doesn't grip as well in turns and wears much faster. The 755 is however discontinued.

Now keep in mind, the Tracula is the only model of MotoZ tires that I have used, so I can't attest to how well any of their other tires perform.

This is the front tire. It actually looks very similar to a 756, except the side knobs are closer, and all the knobs are longer than the Dunlop.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 133

James

Staff member
Thanks for the review Chokey. :thumb:

So you'd recommend the MotoZ Tracula for a more sandy type soil, how about a loamy dirt?

Thanks for the review Chokey. :thumb:

So you'd recommend the MotoZ Tracula for a more sandy type soil, how about a loamy dirt?
Well, the closest we get to that down here is wet sand (sand is VERY tacky when wet), but in that medium they are awe-inspiring. I've nearly looped my bike coming out of turns in wet sand with these tires many times. :hail:

Hmmmm, I wonder how they compare to the Maxxis ITs.... They look great but I am unsure about the 1/2 lap warm up since that 1st turn after the gate drops comes up quick....... also how does it work in colder temps like in March in NJ?

I have been running a Bridgestone Gritty ED78 on the rear for the last year or so along with the M603 Bridgestone in front. The front seemed a bit slippery lately so I replaced the front with the new Dunlap 51 which takes the place of the 756. I have heard nothing but good reviews on this new tire. I was going to try the Maxxis in the rear but after looking at them and getting input from someone who has raced using both, I went with the Gritty again. The Maxxis is quite square compared to the roundness of the Gritty and I don't think turning on a square tire works very well. :thinking: I have never had anything bad to say of the Gritty so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Some of you guys run those enduro tires but I can't see them working for my style of riding. Just my opinion here.
I wanted to update this. After last weekend's ride, I am very happy with the new Dunlap 51 I have on the front and still very happy with the Gritty. Of course the ground was perfect being damp and all but these tires stick like glue in my opinion and I will continue to run these.

:thumb: Good deal! :ride:

I have the MX51's front and rear and not as happy as I was with the Maxxis... MX51s are still good and also leaps and bounds better than the Michelins