New Tires

Hmmmm, I wonder how they compare to the Maxxis ITs....
They definitely hook up better in sand. Tire life is hard for me to judge, tires last forever when all you ride in is deep powdery sand.

They look great but I am unsure about the 1/2 lap warm up since that 1st turn after the gate drops comes up quick
You don't get to do any warm up/practice laps? If not, a tire warmer would work fine I'm sure.

also how does it work in colder temps like in March in NJ?
I have no idea, we don't get weather like that here...:lol:

They definitely hook up better in sand. Tire life is hard for me to judge, tires last forever when all you ride in is deep powdery sand.

Powdery sand.... bummer so you don't even get the nice sand with dirt mixed into it... bummer.

You don't get to do any warm up/practice laps? If not, a tire warmer would work fine I'm sure.

Yeah we get a 3 lap practice at the beginning of the day and thats it then straight to motos... tire warmers..... lol! this isn't the Daytona 200! :lol::lol:

I have no idea, we don't get weather like that here...:lol:

:noncartoonpicard:

Powdery sand.... bummer so you don't even get the nice sand with dirt mixed into it... bummer.
Every once in a while you run across little patches of darker soil, especially in the flood plains, but for the most part it's sand. But the upside is when it rains. Instead of turning into swampy slippery mud, wet sand drains well and becomes super super tacky, the traction at a sugar sand track after rain is amazing. And sand is very forgiving when you crash, because it's soft. The only time sand sucks to ride in is during our relatively short dry season in the winter. Deep powdery dry sand is very hard to ride in because it moves under your wheels constantly and dramatically. And if you lose even the slightest bit of momentum in turns the front wheel will plow in and you'll crash. It definitely teaches you to maintain your speed. :thumb:

A lot of the tracks down here ship in different kinds of dirt, sawdust, etc. to mix with the sand to give it a more robust consistency.

Every once in a while you run across little patches of darker soil, especially in the flood plains, but for the most part it's sand. But the upside is when it rains. Instead of turning into swampy slippery mud, wet sand drains well and becomes super super tacky, the traction at a sugar sand track after rain is amazing. And sand is very forgiving when you crash, because it's soft. The only time sand sucks to ride in is during our relatively short dry season in the winter. Deep powdery dry sand is very hard to ride in because it moves under your wheels constantly and dramatically. And if you lose even the slightest bit of momentum in turns the front wheel will plow in and you'll crash. It definitely teaches you to maintain your speed. :thumb:

A lot of the tracks down here ship in different kinds of dirt, sawdust, etc. to mix with the sand to give it a more robust consistency.

I haven't ridden in Florida since 1984 at Tarrytown MX I think? they had that mixed in dirt/sand with occasional deep sand turns. Its just like riding in the mud. Keep the motor revved and don't let it plow.... lol. I would like to spend more time in FL during the winters just so I can ride.... damn commitments and empty wallet syndrome.

Maybe I'm just not reading this right, but in case you didn't realize it, the 756 was replaced by the M51.
Exactly my question and why I asked it. I am getting ready to replace it. How does the new MX51 compare to the old standby 756? Cornering, handling, etc. Anybody?

James

Staff member
Exactly my question and why I asked it. I am getting ready to replace it. How does the new MX51 compare to the old standby 756? Cornering, handling, etc. Anybody?
Ahh now I understand. :thumb:

I put on MX51's last fall but haven't had time to really try them out yet. :bonk:

I am curious, what makes a tire DOT approved over others that have the same appearance and that is being knobbies. Why can this Pirelli be a DOT approved tire and not the Dunlaps? :thinking:

I think it has something to do with the speed rating on the tire whereas the tires are tested at and approved for higher speeds and offroads are not, I read also that the compounds are different to allow for the heat generated from the road, you now how riding a offroad tire on pavement it just gets eating up fast.

Thanks kind sir. Best one you have ever had?:thinking:

Actually, yes. Not sure if you remember me complaining about the front tire I had on last year that sucked. Used the Scorpion before that, and put another on after pulling off the crap tire. Still open to opinions on different rear tires, but no intention on anything other than a Scorpion on the front.
As soon as your knee is better, you are welcome to ride the pig to see what you think.

Actually, yes. Not sure if you remember me complaining about the front tire I had on last year that sucked. Used the Scorpion before that, and put another on after pulling off the crap tire. Still open to opinions on different rear tires, but no intention on anything other than a Scorpion on the front.
As soon as your knee is better, you are welcome to ride the pig to see what you think.
Recovery coming along great, see doctor today as it has been 2 weeks already. Would love to check out your pig again and soon. We wlll see what the doc says.:thumb: