New bike!

Super nice bike man, you might benefit from a new chain if it is too short, which I think it is. Personally I run my chains a little tighter (not that much though). If your looking for a new sprocket too as I replace my when I replace my chain, I'm a big believer in Renthal aluminum and renthal gold series chains. My aluminum sprocket has lasted me all season, and I race the longest season of anyone in my series, or state. The chain has held very nicely too. Food for thought :thumb:
I have 3,000 plus miles on my chain and rear aluminum sprocket and they are still in great condition. I just replaced the front one as it was beginning to hook. I never even have to adjust my chain, it just stays put where I like it, and I never run my chain too tight and I am anal about lubing my chain as well. :prof:

James

Staff member
I have 3,000 plus miles on my chain and rear aluminum sprocket and they are still in great condition. I just replaced the front one as it was beginning to hook. I never even have to adjust my chain, it just stays put where I like it, and I never run my chain too tight and I am anal about lubing my chain as well. :prof:
Do you get mud/dirt on it or does it stay fairly clean? I could see your riding conditions greatly effecting your chain/sprocket life.

Do you get mud/dirt on it or does it stay fairly clean? I could your riding conditions greatly effecting your chain/sprocket life.
I do not do mud, in my Jeep or on my bike, if I can help it. To me mud is just nasty shit. For the most part my chain stays pretty clean and I think the chain guard that others take off helps keep dirt coming off the tire away from the chain. I still have some gunk attached to it when I go to clean it but nothing massive. I clean it off with a brush, sprocket too, with simple green and then wash it all off. I then run the bike on the stand to fling off water and hit with WD40 to get more water off, wipe it off and hit it again with some good lube. I also lube the chain every time I come in from a ride when it is warm and let it set up for a bit. :thumb:

I do not do mud, in my Jeep or on my bike, if I can help it. To me mud is just nasty shit. For the most part my chain stays pretty clean and I think the chain guard that others take off helps keep dirt coming off the tire away from the chain. I still have some gunk attached to it when I go to clean it but nothing massive. I clean it off with a brush, sprocket too, with simple green and then wash it all off. I then run the bike on the stand to fling off water and hit with WD40 to get more water off, wipe it off and hit it again with some good lube. I also lube the chain every time I come in from a ride when it is warm and let it set up for a bit. :thumb:

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. 4Ts especially the big bores love to eat sprockets and chains. Good job!:thumb: