Neck braces

Well I broke down today and purchased a Leatt Neck Brace for my son. He has been wearing a foam neck roll for the last couple years. But since he has moved up to a 250cc his speed has increased and jumps have been higher. I debated over these braces for a couple months...which ones the best, prices, etc. I came close to getting the adventure series but ended up getting the club. The prices are pretty much the same no matter where you go. I don't know if the adventure would of been good enough but now he has plenty of adjustment options. Hope he knows that i will have to do a couple side jobs to pay for it. :rant:

ry%3D400
Yeah I've been leaning towards those but there so damn expensive. :foul:
But the way I look at it, its either $400 or possibly dying, and since I'm not gonna get any bigger(haven't grown since I was 13) its not like I'm going to have to get a new one anytime soon.

James

Staff member
Hope he knows that i will have to do a couple side jobs to pay for it. :rant:
:thumb: You did the right thing chop. Can you imagine how you would have felt if something would've happened when he wasn't wearing a brace. :pout:
Yeah I've been leaning towards those but there so damn expensive. :foul:
But the way I look at it, its either $400 or possibly dying, and since I'm not gonna get any bigger(haven't grown since I was 13) its not like I'm going to have to get a new one anytime soon.
Unfortunately you CAN still die, but this puts the odds in your favor. :ride: I wore my Leatt for 2 years before I first needed it and that day started out just like any other.

Like Curtis said, they come with 3 different inserts which I believe are 10mm, 20mm, and 30mm. So if you do get bigger all you have to do is swap out the inserts. They're all included BTW.

:thumb: You did the right thing chop. Can you imagine how you would have felt if something would've happened when he wasn't wearing a brace. :pout:

Unfortunately you CAN still die, but this puts the odds in your favor. :ride: I wore my Leatt for 2 years before I first needed it and that day started out just like any other.

Like Curtis said, they come with 3 different inserts which I believe are 10mm, 20mm, and 30mm. So if you do get bigger all you have to do is swap out the inserts. They're all included BTW.

I gave it to him tonight. You would of thought it was Christmas morning. I told him I'm taking the box and wrapping it for his Christmas present.

James

Staff member
I gave it to him tonight. You would of thought it was Christmas morning. I told him I'm taking the box and wrapping it for his Christmas present.
:lol: That's awesome. :ride: Let me guess, the look on his face makes those side jobs easier? :P

Yeah you can but its highly unlikely you will. I hada friend who was ina crash, not sure on all the details, but if I do remember right he hit false neutral on an 80ft step up and bailed, his brace was split open after he hit the ground the impact was so hard. Lucky for him he just gotta broken collar bone, pretty minor head injury and some bruised ribs.

I know this thread is 7+ years old, but I am considering purchasing a neck brace for my son and myself, and am still up in the air about it.
I just went to Supercross this past weekend and dont recall seeing any one of them wearing one.
I have 2 industrial sewing machines, and could easily cut out a custom fit foam piece and make a nice cordura wrapper for it and know that it would be better than nothing.
But since 7 years have elapsed since this thread was started I would like to hear your opinions on this subject given the use or (non-use) of these devices, and how it has affected the sport or been attributed to the safety of riders...
Ken Roczen just crashed good and walked away with a compound fracture of his left arm.
I'll take that all day long, and have been there done that.
I've double femur'd while skydiving, hit the planet at about 70 mph, and still walked away (10 months later) without a spinal injury...

Last edited:
I'm running a Leatt GPX neck brace and so is my son. I rode for 35+ years without one (mainly because they were not out) and only started wearing one after a desert dart incident that smashed my helmet and gave me a concussion. My wife freaked out a little and wanted me to get one, so I did. At first i was not a fan, but once I got it adjusted, i now do not even know I am wearing it.

Oh yeah I was at the AZ round and did you not see Marvin Musquin's brace lit up during the opening ceremonies.

Oh yeah I was at the AZ round and did you not see Marvin Musquin's brace lit up during the opening ceremonies.
Yeah I heard you were there.
And yes I remember seeing that now that you mention it. I also remember watching the big screen when the hottie was walking along in front of the starting line and noticed that most of the guys weren't wearing one.
I'd like to see some statistics on neck/spinal injuries from riding dirtbikes, those things are spendy.

Yeah I heard you were there.
And yes I remember seeing that now that you mention it. I also remember watching the big screen when the hottie was walking along in front of the starting line and noticed that most of the guys weren't wearing one.
I'd like to see some statistics on neck/spinal injuries from riding dirtbikes, those things are spendy.
I thought James had something on here about stats..:noidea:
Everything is spendy, but how much are doctor bills or not walking and riding again. It's all in the perspective of what you think is important. I rode a gazillion years without one. My whole racing career was done without one and I hade some gnarly get-offs over that span. Now I am just a weekend warrior with an occasional race here and there. Most of my big injuries were done when not racing because you are going slower and thud instead of skip tumble roll. Again I was not a fan of the neck brace, but it makes my wife happy and comfortable when I wear it. Plus now, I do not know it is on so no issues.

As for not seeing racers wearing them, there is more than you think at the track. Maybe not as many as before, but still there.

Yeah you're probably right. I should just bite the bullet and order a couple of them.
I've proven to myself that I can crash every bike I ride, and so can my son :bonk:

Yeah you're probably right. I should just bite the bullet and order a couple of them.
I've proven to myself that I can crash every bike I ride, and so can my son :bonk:
:thumb: I took a brand new bike out over New Years and threw it up the Royal Flush (rock infested trail that is normally only ridden down not up), but I grabbed some traction and flipped it completely upside down. It is broke in now...:smirk: