Mountain Bikes

The new stuff is way better with FS, and lock outs. The old days from my riding didn't offer it. I would say, size up for sure/full Suspenders/with the optional lock out. Get some protective gear and your good. The hardest dirt naps I have ever taken ar MTB related, not moto.

yea lockouts where fairly new when i was in teh industry. glad to hear its norm now cause its cool as fuck tech thats for sure.

One thing to do as well is get a good set of pedals.

I would start off with something like this:
2012-nuke-proof-proton-mountain-bike-pedals.jpg

with a could set of cross training shoes.

Or you can go with something like this:
17603.jpg

You can have the option to wear reg shoes or clip in. I rode for a few years without being clipped in as I did not want to be stuck to the bike. It sucks not being clipped in going uphill, but now I clip in and it gives you the ability to pull up with your foot as you are pushing down with the other. You can really climb better that way. I run a similar pedal as the one above where I can clip or not. Sometimes on steep rocky descents, I like to not be clipped in and I still have a BMX style pedal to plant my feet on while descending.

if you are a noob i wouldnt go with clips unless you plan on road only. its extra money for one and 2 if you go down it sucks. not worth the little bit of extra that you get with being able to pull up when you pedal.

i like those other pedals tho. i used Primo BMX pedals when i rode... loved those things.

if you are a noob i wouldnt go with clips unless you plan on road only. its extra money for one and 2 if you go down it sucks. not worth the little bit of extra that you get with being able to pull up when you pedal.

i like those other pedals tho. i used Primo BMX pedals when i rode... loved those things.
Yeah the first time I ever rode MTBs, I clipped in and I was climbing this single track with switch backs and they had these logs buried to help with water run off. Well I got the front wheel over the log and stalled on the back wheel. I could not get my feet to snap out of the clips and I fell down the hill. I had my clips adjusted super loose too.

I went to a cross training shoe after that since my bike came with the BMX pedal with clips in the middle. I still have the same pedals today on my current bike. I move them from bike to bike. They are 16 years old now and still working.

Full suspension will be pricey! I suggest front suspension with disc brakes.
Full suspension has come down in price. Like I said you can spend around $1200 for a brand new Trek with full suspension, disc brakes and great components. The thing you have to ask yourself is how much riding are you going to be doing and how hardcore. My first bike was a Specialized FSR and I rode that bike for 10 years, before I moved up to my Gary Fisher Cake 1. Rode that another 6 years and now I am on my Trek which I have had for 3 years and I will probably have this for a long time, as it is more bike than I need for what I do.

If you are going to buy a bike, spend the extra money as you will have it longer and it will last.

Plus a lighter bike makes a huge difference when out riding. My Trek is all carbon fiber and for an XL frame it weighs in under 25lbs which is really light for that size bike.

yea im not a fan of clips at all.. i had some shoes and clips given to me and i used em once. i just dont think the advantage is worth it... ill just work harder and smoke em on the DH :smirk:

yea im not a fan of clips at all.. i had some shoes and clips given to me and i used em once. i just dont think the advantage is worth it... ill just work harder and smoke em on the DH :smirk:
I agree, but I do like my clips now. I am a downhiller more than up, but being clipped in helps pull the bike uphill. When you come to a rock section, it helps to pull the bike up and over instead of slipping off the pedals. And in wet conditions, without being clipped in, you slip off the pedals too much.

Last night I went for a ride and it was little wet, I was having a tough time getting over obstacles last night for some reason. Not issue going down though. I do need new tires as mine have around 380 miles on them. I ordered some new Maxiss Cross marc tires front and rear and they should be here this week. I sure could have used them last night.

:wow: Bike tire prices are like dirt bike. These things are $60 a piece, but I found them on E-bay for $28 each and free shipping....:clap: