Mountain Bikes

noob or not you should get a better bike... you will get better if you ride and you will either jsut buy a better bike or start upgrading everything cause you will start to break shit.

i am a fan of Giant bikes. they always had great bikes. of course every company has a lower end model so try to stay away from those. another good one i like is Gary Fisher.... great bikes. Personally i would stay away from Specialized. They do make some good stuff and its highly arguable cause a lot of people like them but i worked in teh industry and would see a lot of new specialized bikes with issues... our shop wouldn't even carry em. Im not sure if Santa Cruz makes bikes still but the ones they did were bitchen as fuck.

here is my soon to be in riding condition again bike...
153uqo1.jpg

noob or not you should get a better bike... you will get better if you ride and you will either jsut buy a better bike or start upgrading everything cause you will start to break shit.

i am a fan of Giant bikes. they always had great bikes. of course every company has a lower end model so try to stay away from those. another good one i like is Gary Fisher.... great bikes. Personally i would stay away from Specialized. They do make some good stuff and its highly arguable cause a lot of people like them but i worked in teh industry and would see a lot of new specialized bikes with issues... our shop wouldn't even carry em. Im not sure if Santa Cruz makes bikes still but the ones they did were bitchen as fuck.

here is my soon to be in riding condition again bike...
153uqo1.jpg

Full suspension or just front suspension :noidea:

It has been a while for me but Trav is right. Don't waste your money on crap. Not sure how the compnants go now but back in the day I would get XT and XTR and stay away from anything else. XTR was top of the line Shamono If there is a Performance
Bike shop in your area they have loads of good bikes at great prices.

It has been a while for me but Trav is right. Don't waste your money on crap. Not sure how the compnants go now but back in the day I would get XT and XTR and stay away from anything else. XTR was top of the line Shamono If there is a Performance
What is considered a "great price". There are 3 or 4 bike shops in Fresno.

What is considered a "great price". There are 3 or 4 bike shops in Fresno.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1115448_-1_400308__400308

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1115170_-1_400308__400308

4-8 hundy. Then you can get into the real light 8 hundy to 2G's.
My last bike I built up, total price in 1995 was over 2,500.00 14.5 GT LTS all XTR and XT 21 lbs. New brake system with progressive leavers on the actuator arms, one pinky pull, anything more and it put you over the bars, way before the disc brakes came out.

You can buy a new or last years full suspended Trek bike like the Fuel EX series with great components for around $1200 - $1500. Lite bikes and solid I have a Trek, but I wont say what I paid for it 3 years ago. I rode a Gary Fisher for 6 years and they are good bikes as well.

First thing you need to do, is go to your local shop and have them size you so you know what frame size you need. Then you can shop for a bike. Also buying new from a shop does have it's benefits. They sometimes throw in free maintenance for as long as you own your bike. My shop offers that and it is awesome. I take my bike in every 6 or 7 rides and have them go through everything for me.

I'm sure I can get you a sweet deal on a Gary Fisher or Trek from my local shop if you are interested. Go get measured and let me know and I will see what they got and let you know.

Here is my scooter, which you saw in the dez.
IMG_2049.jpg

You shold have thrown your leg over CDA Jr's bike, it was probably right about your size.

race face was better IMO things could have changed a lot over the years tho.

rear suspension is for downhill stuff, not so good for a road or trail bike, it eats up your forward motion
its not that bad at all. i did all teh climbs that hardtails would do on that giant in the pic.

if you are that concerned about it they have systems with a switch that will lock out the rear suspension so that its a hardtail when you want it.

its really up to you tho rack. if you dont think you will enjoy the downhilling and are just gonna FRQ it uphills go with a hardtail i guess. i say if thats what you are after jsut get a roadbike tho. downhills and gnarly stuff is what i loved about mtbikes. all the work going up the hill gave you the reward of being able to bomb the downhill. :thumb:

CDA is right... go get sized for you.... its important. also i will also side with cda... some of the trek bikes are real nice.

My current bike has full lock out in front and rear. Lock out in the front helps in steep rocky climbs. Hard Tails are nice for roads and smooth trails, but a full suspension is the way to go.