mixing gear oil??

its all good, just generally a synth is better and changing it more often is better too. I have deciced to use synth to cut down on the labor needed for changing more often. If the bike overheats you get better protection at that moment as well. If the bike does overheat or get drowned over a water fall then I change it as a precaution.

its all good, just generally a synth is better and changing it more often is better too. I have deciced to use synth to cut down on the labor needed for changing more often. If the bike overheats you get better protection at that moment as well. If the bike does overheat or get drowned over a water fall then I change it as a precaution.
I go thru water all the time where i ride, pretty much gotta change oil almost every ride because of that

I change more for water than anything else. Jim Creek stuff lol. (two stroke will understand that). The "waterfall" out at sutton used to be the reason I changed a lot too.

For my two strokes I use ATF. I have oil tested every so often, never have had any that wasn't under the half life so to speak. For a two stroke trans, the syns' just didnt appeal to me. I feel that if I am getting the oil hot enough to break down a conventional oil, then I have some problems that synthetic isn't going to cure, and bigger ones that oil will bring on. A four stroke with a cam way up in the head and a long ways away from an oil pump is a different story. I like the synthetics more there since they get there faster when cold, and the head has some very extreme temps that don't exist in a healthy transmission that is separate, ala honda and two strokes. Oils are a feel good thing though. Doing what feels good is always attractive :banana:(that has to be the most unattractive icon).

Palmer, I bet your rekluse will like the honda oil just fine. Wet clutches seem to love it if it is above 30 F. Any lower and you may want to give it a little bit of extra warm up. I am really waiting to hear how you like the Rekluse, since I have little experience with them to start with, and none first hand with the latest model like you got. I am sure I want one, based on using the Zstart Pro I put in my son's cr250.

My friction plates are right over the end of spec. Standard spec is 2.9-3.1mm, mine measured in just at 2.9 and 2.8 is the limit. I ordered a new set from RMMC and they should be here on Wednesday. I am going to start with fresh friction discs on the Rekluse to make sure it's all good. For the hell of it, I measured the plates on the motor I have been working on for my sons friend and they were all 3.0-3.1 and the appearance was outstanding. Mine barely had noticeable pads. Thanks for the oil response, I figured it was good to use. Rekluse didn't say anything against it.

if going thru water all the time and changing all the time then no need for synth, use what is cheaper but adequate and change it. I use it tho just for the extra "what if" like, poke a hole in a case and it MAY get you a few miles further. Ive had this happen in the high Sierras and sufferred no damage by riding conservativly. I also find it made a difference in bikes that dont go into neutral easily.

That is one of the reasons I use ATF where I can. It that case it isnt about lubrication as much as it is drag. Ligher oils get you into gear quicker too. Syn being waxless or close to it (depending on how honest the maker is) has molecules that don't cling or stick to eachother as easily as the dino oils, especially when cold. It makes me feel better to feel mine go into gear and not lurch as much.

Having cracked a few cases and having lots of others on rides that were a day in break them has given me a great appreciation for two products: SealAll and that epoxie that comes in a stick and you roll between your fingers to mix. they go a very long way if their is any oil at all in them. afte refilling even the ones that howl seem to live a long time.

Last edited:
I change more for water than anything else. Jim Creek stuff lol. (two stroke will understand that). The "waterfall" out at sutton used to be the reason I changed a lot too.

For my two strokes I use ATF. I have oil tested every so often, never have had any that wasn't under the half life so to speak. For a two stroke trans, the syns' just didnt appeal to me. I feel that if I am getting the oil hot enough to break down a conventional oil, then I have some problems that synthetic isn't going to cure, and bigger ones that oil will bring on. A four stroke with a cam way up in the head and a long ways away from an oil pump is a different story. I like the synthetics more there since they get there faster when cold, and the head has some very extreme temps that don't exist in a healthy transmission that is separate, ala honda and two strokes. Oils are a feel good thing though. Doing what feels good is always attractive :banana:(that has to be the most unattractive icon).

Palmer, I bet your rekluse will like the honda oil just fine. Wet clutches seem to love it if it is above 30 F. Any lower and you may want to give it a little bit of extra warm up. I am really waiting to hear how you like the Rekluse, since I have little experience with them to start with, and none first hand with the latest model like you got. I am sure I want one, based on using the Zstart Pro I put in my son's cr250.
Yeah, I wiped out my Rm cylinder last fall out at Jims, that silt is a killer, made the last 6 miles to the truck with piston noise.

That is a good track for tiring you out. My friend's kids used to drag me out there a few times a week. His place is just off dimond down the hell from the bicycle shop. It was a stop off for lots of racers since you could build anything there and do quick tests.

Just wondering what type 2 stroke I should use in the ec 300 because when I got it the fule was a kind of pink colour and when I do my mix its a dark couler (oily ) I use movul I think its called its motorcycle 2 stroke