Maxxis or Dunlop?

Looking for new tires I have narrowed my selection to 2 tires based on what I am looking for and the type of riding.

First, for my 450 I have been running Dunlops for 2 years and they are great, I ride off road and im looking for a tire that lasts. what is a good Maxxis tire that can compare or beat the Dunlop?

Second, for my 150 it has the same tires that it had when we bought it, and they are balder than Lex Luthor... sorry my neard showed there for a bit :smirk:. Any way, offroad riding conditions, alternate terrain types, Maxxis or Dunlop?

Let me know what you think, thanks... :thumb:

Dirt only:
Maxxis Desert IT in the rear and the Dunlop Geo-max 71 in the front. Good combo, Maxxis up front are not that great.
Dual Sport:
Michelin AC-10 are a nice tire F/R. I am running a Dunlop Rally Raid 908 up front now (SUCKS) and a Pirelli Trials in the rear. OMG that is a great rear tire for our terrain in the desert.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I run dunlop K490 in the front. They have been discontinued. I have 3 in climate controlled storage. :smirk:
Maxxis SI in the rear.
Couldn't be happier with traction and longevity. Maxxis is easy on your wallet too.

Front:
MX-51 is a great tire for the desert. Has a great compound and you can really lean on it in the dez and it will not skate out from under you. If you really rely on your front tire in high speed conditions in the dez, you cannot go wrong with the 51. The 71 up front is a little too hard for my liking.

Pirelli Scorpion MX Hard 486 has been on the 450 now for awhile and I have been pretty impressed with it. Looks like it has some close knobs, but has not skated out from under me and the wear has been good. I will most likely replace it though with a 51 when it is time.

Rear:

Pirelli Scorpion MX eXTra was mounted up on the 450 and the traction was great and so was the wear. An unfortunate mishap with a sharp rock ripped one of the knobs off the side all the way through the tire and shredded the tube before this tire was ready for retirement. I may slap another one on again.:thinking:

Maxxis IT Desert was what replaced the Pirelli above out back on the 450 as that was the only decent tire the local shop had in the desert when my tire mishap came about. What a beefy tire to install. Make sure you let this sucker sit in the hot sun for awhile. And if you get a flat and that thing is cold, good luck getting the bead off to change it. I normally can change out tires in 10 mins and this bad boy slowed me down time. This tire pulls hard and hooks up every where I have been in the desert. I really love this tire, so much I slapped one on my YZ250 smoker and it tractors up everything.

MX-71 is mounted out back on the Salmon and it is a good all around tire and the wear is great. I mounted this up as an alternative to a DS tire for the occasional runs down the highway transitioning from one trail head to the next.

Hope that helps..:ride:

I looked up all the tires that were posted on this forum and have determined that the Dunlop MX 51 on front is better for my type of riding, along with the Maxxis IT on the rear. Both bikes will soon have this setup, as i will order them tomorrow since no one carries them here for some reason... Thanks for all the help guys

I looked up all the tires that were posted on this forum and have determined that the Dunlop MX 51 on front is better for my type of riding, along with the Maxxis IT on the rear. Both bikes will soon have this setup, as i will order them tomorrow since no one carries them here for some reason... Thanks for all the help guys
BLAM!!!!

not sure if tubless would work for me I run over a lot of sharp stuff. But I did find something interesting, Michelin makes an airless tube I found it in the offroad book while looking for tires. Any thoughts on this? Its kind of a runflat it sounds like. Let me know.

not sure if tubless would work for me I run over a lot of sharp stuff. But I did find something interesting, Michelin makes an airless tube I found it in the offroad book while looking for tires. Any thoughts on this? Its kind of a runflat it sounds like. Let me know.

I have never tried anything like that. I just carry a tube and swap it out trail side when needed.