2 Stroke KTM 65 Tear down

So as most of you know I'm tearing down a KTM 65 Let me tell you so far what I have found that you need and don't need.

1. You shouldn't need a case splitter tap it lightly with a rubber hammer and she falls apart.
2. You will need the tool to hold the clutch basket (Do not try to use the bolts that hold the clutch springs to hold it while you break the big bolt loose.)(You will break the Clutch pressure cap and it will cost you $89.95) Next the big bolt is held in with lock tite so make sure your ready for that.
3. You will need a fly wheel puller ($9.00 thought rocky mountain)
4. I will continue this as I get it tore down and I will post a video of things when its done.

So far here is my cost of this cheap rebuild......yeah right!:rolleyes:

Crank, piston, gaskets, crank bearings. $280.00
Pressure cap for clutch and new bolts for clutch $116.00
Flywheel puller, crank puller/installer and clutch holding tool $95.41
Allen Wrenches (Cause the case has allen head bolts) Feeler gauge and carb cleaner $24.00

Its still not together yet so who knows but right now she is costing me $515.41:rolleyes:

Don't even know the condition of the clutch yet.....:rolleyes:

SRAD97750

Staff member
$280 for a fresh motor is quite good. Sorry you had to do the FULL MONTY on your first 2T.... Next time it'll be under $100 and you'll already know how to do it. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I have pulled my clutch basket 3 times and never use a clutch holding tool. that is one thing I didn't put on the list of tools you would need. Humm that is odd.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I put the bike in gear, and hold the rear brake like a demon. Then the clutch bolts come out with just a little impact. Good luck! -BIG DAN:thumb:

I have pulled my clutch basket 3 times and never use a clutch holding tool. that is one thing I didn't put on the list of tools you would need. Humm that is odd.

How do you pull the clutch? The clutch sits in the basket and the basket is held in by the main bolt in the center. When you try to remove the main bolt of course the basket spins. From the manual it said to hold the basket with a wrench then break the main bolt loose. I'm use to the big bikes were you pull the small bolts and everything just slides out and the big bolt just holds the basket on.

Here is the clutch view.

Clutch.gif

Bolt #22 is the one I couldn't get undone so that I could get part #6 off. I ended up breaking part #3 trying to use the little fingers to hold the basket in place.

How do you pull the clutch? The clutch sits in the basket and the basket is held in by the main bolt in the center. When you try to remove the main bolt of course the basket spins. From the manual it said to hold the basket with a wrench then break the main bolt loose. I'm use to the big bikes were you pull the small bolts and everything just slides out and the big bolt just holds the basket on.

Oh, I was confused, I thought the basket is what you were having issues with, it is the clutch pressure plate you are having a haard time with. I never had any issue removing them either. I used a 18v battery impact and they came right off. I used a washer behind the basket wedged in between the gear on the back of the basket and the primary gear to break the basket bolt loose.

Oh, I see it says it requires loctite. Any bolt that has Loctite on it needs to be heated to melt the loctite from previous install. Then it should break loose.

Oh, I see it says it requires loctite. Any bolt that has Loctite on it needs to be heated to melt the loctite from previous install. Then it should break loose.

I think the lock tite is what is killing me. Soon as I get the clutch tool I will heat it and hit it with an impact.

Just wanted you guys to know the Tusk Clutch tool won't work on the KTM65 the little stubs are too big to fit in the holes. :foul: I'm going to try and hold it and just hit it with an impact gun if it won't come undone I will take it to KTM and have them buzz it off for me. Wish my parts would get here!:thinking: