Johnson valley Easter 2013

Thursday came, I headed home, did some in town buisness, loaded up the scooters (Rolls X for Big Dan) and headed to Johnson Valley.

The first stop was Freddys.
View attachment 14233

I arrived to camp right at sunset with some awesome views.
View attachment 14234

Camp Timo.
View attachment 14235

The rest of the group.
View attachment 14236

Travs buddy, who he trashed the day before, loaded up and headed for safety Friday morning.
View attachment 14237

Trav with some minor repairs before heading out on our ride.
View attachment 14238

Success!

View attachment 14239

We first headed over to the dunes for a little fun.
View attachment 14240

View attachment 14241

Travs second attempt.
View attachment 14242
He wanted me to jump.:smirk:
View attachment 14243

To be contnued...

Air-TraV.... :thumb:

It does look like somebody tried to remove the data plates off those aircraft. But they didnt get all of it off. We do know what type of aircraft it is. Its a F-9-F it would have looked like this one. This particular photo is of an F-9-F Panther. Yours may also have been a F-9-F Cougar. The only major difference between the two is the engine and the wing tanks. However I do know that the one data plate that you found indicates that is was set up to be photo recon. airframe.

Neils%20Panther%20007r.jpg

Oh and Trav. If you were boiling over get used to it. You'll probably have the same issue when you get to Virginia City near the end of the month.

My vacation started first, with taking the POS to Huntington for a coupe nights at the beach. With BH taking a "break" from the bike, I figured a trip to the beach would be something easy to do over his break.

The view coming down to PCH.
View attachment 14221

On PCH coming into Huntington.
View attachment 14222

I'm such a sexy beast.
View attachment 14223

BH had a hard time with the tandem.
View attachment 14224

View attachment 14225

View attachment 14226

View attachment 14227

The big news there are the fire pits. We had 3 different news vans there doing reports about the cit council wanting to ban them, for air quality reasons. My kids snaked in on the channel 5 morning news.
View attachment 14228

View attachment 14229

View attachment 14230

My Daughter being interviewed.
View attachment 14231

View attachment 14232

To be continued......

That's pretty funny, I saw that news report live:thumb:

We left the dunes and headed North to Galaway, with the plan of going to the fallen cell tower.

The new sign at the end of Galaway saying :naughty:
Easter 2013 053.JPG

Trav had said that the KOM had run across Galaway, and sure enough, the tracks weren't too hard to find. We picked them up, and it wasn't too long before Trav was pulling away from me, when I saw all the practice bombs.
Easter 2013 054.JPG

Easter 2013 055.JPG

Easter 2013 056.JPG

Easter 2013 057.JPG

Trav found a new hat.
Easter 2013 058.JPG

Easter 2013 059.JPG

We hit the trail again, and it took us up a wash, and into the hills.
Easter 2013 060.JPG

Easter 2013 061.JPG

Truely epic.:rocker:
Easter 2013 062.JPG

Easter 2013 063.JPG

We got close to our goal, and jumped off the KOM course, only to find they destroyed the road going up, and leveled the tower completely gone. There was a stake with a ribbon up top, that looked like a new course going in.:devil:
Easter 2013 064.JPG

We left the dunes and headed North to Galaway, with the plan of going to the fallen cell tower.

We got close to our goal, and jumped off the KOM course, only to find they destroyed the road going up, and leveled the tower completely gone. There was a stake with a ribbon up top, that looked like a new course going in.:devil:
View attachment 14253

What DL is that in the background?

View attachment 14244

Trav had said that the KOM had run across Galaway, and sure enough, the tracks weren't too hard to find. We picked them up, and it wasn't too long before Trav was pulling away from me, when I saw all the practice bombs.
View attachment 14245

View attachment 14254

View attachment 14255

View attachment 14246

Trav found a new hat.
View attachment 14247

View attachment 14248

We hit the trail again, and it took us up a wash, and into the hills.
View attachment 14249

View attachment 14250

Truely epic.:rocker:
View attachment 14251

View attachment 14252

View attachment 14253

No annual pic of your Buzz Worm friend at the tower station. :eek:

Those dummy bombs are WWII vintage. The really cool thing is that is the first time I have seen intact dummy bombs. I have found some scraps before, but never seen them intact like that.

There are WWII bombing targets on the desert floor that run from Apple Valley to Twentynine Palms. I went to Google Earth to see if there was one close to Galway, but I didn't find anything. Then I remembered that there was a runway on Galway during the war. When the B-17's were practicing bomb runs, they would also practice touch and go landings on Galway. Could be that somebody dropped their bomb load when they were practicing their touch and go and that is the reason they weren't destroyed.

There is a pristine target at 34 24'13.22"N, 116 22'38.35"W. I believe that this one was used much more recently.

There is another target just N of Anderson DL at 34 33'34.91"N, 116 22'38.35"W. This one is more typical in the way it is faded. If you are using Google Earth, you will spot these every once in a while.