Is rebuilding a blown up motor yourself worth it?

So, I'm looking to get a blown up bike (whatever that may be) and fix it up. I have heard that getting someone to do it for you is what makes it super expensive... is this true? are new motor parts expensive? anyways is it worth it to do the rebuild yourself if you are willing to put the time into it? sorry if this question was all over the place xD

What kind of bike are you looking for? 4T - 2T, old? 80's, 90's, Naughties:devil: or 2010- present?
Which colour?
And yes motor parts can be pricey and scarce depending on the bike!
Are you planning on keeping the bike or selling it on for a possible imaginary profit?

Last edited:
What kind of bike are you looking for? 4T - 2T, old? 80's, 90's, Naughties:devil: or 2010- present?
Which colour?
And yes motor parts can be pricey and scarce depending on the bike!
Are you planning on keeping the bike or selling it on for a possible imaginary profit?

Well, i was thinking any Make, 2007 and up 250 racing bike. Ex: (2007 Crf250r) and keep for my personal use what do you think? maybe if i can get a blown up bike for cheap it would be worth it.

Well, i was thinking any Make, 2007 and up 250 racing bike. Ex: (2007 Crf250r) and keep for my personal use what do you think? maybe if i can get a blown up bike for cheap it would be worth it.
Maybe! depends on your input/ tools/ skills, as a keeper not too important as your commiting to living with and rolling with it!
GO FOR IT!

Do you have 1500-2000 to fix it with? Maybe more of it trashed the cases.

As a learning experience to acquire knowledge to better serve you in the future then yes. Especially if you do it right. It's all worth it if you love motorcycles.

SRAD97750

Staff member
With local 'talent' charging $85+ per hour, I rebuild out of financial necessity.

A 2T can go as deep as $750 to fully replace/replate everything top and bottom. My personal experience has been $3-400 for the average engine repair.

A 4T can go as deep as $1800 to fully replace the top and bottom end of a thrashed motor. My personal experience has been $4-600 for the average engine repair.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Yes, if you are mechanically inclined to do so. Otherwise, line someone's pocket with money and ride.
Don't be the guy that comes on here and asks a million questions on how to, ignores good advice, doesn't have the correct tools. So, unless you have tools, knowledge and a MANUAL, buy a running, good condition bike.

Yes, if you are mechanically inclined to do so. Otherwise, line someone's pocket with money and ride.
Don't be the guy that comes on here and asks a million questions on how to, ignores good advice, doesn't have the correct tools. So, unless you have tools, knowledge and a MANUAL, buy a running, good condition bike.
but then he won't be able to out run cars on the interstate on his masterfully rebuilt kx65

If your riding skills allow you to get the attention of someone who is willing to provide you with a wrench, then dont waste your time learning how to be a mech. Drop the initial investment in a runner, then get out there, podium and get noticed. Otherwise, taking your bike to a shop or dealer everytime something goes wrong (or is about to) will get expensive. When I was 16 I changed the clutch in my '69 el Camino. No internet back then zippy. Didn't have anyone to ask if they thought it was a good idea either. Just do it.

I never had a 69 el. a couple of 68's, a 73, and a 65. the 68's were my favorites. They still had enough room behind the seats for gear bags, and were still light enough to be able to run with the hotter cars (one came from the factory with a 396 and 4 speed).

So much for hijacking the thread. I wish I could put two likes on what some of the others have already written. My own crf 250 was bought for the price of the forks. The way it sits now I think I have about 1900 in parts in it. It isnt close to stock in most ways. So you can turn out a good rig made the way you want (if you know what you want) for a reasonable price, if you have the patience to wait for deals on what you want.

It would never work out to have a shop do one for you. I think I would have had closer to 4k in mine and you can easily put 2500 into a broken case 400 dollar rig like mine in a shop just putting it back to stock. A dealership type shop is going to replace anything they can think of to benefit them and you. They just have to do that. Whether there is life left in something or not, if it looks like it will give them a bad name, you are buying new at their profit heavy price.

Lastly, if you have to ask the questions you just wisely did, you may want to start on something that is simple. The CRF is not so simple and certainly not cheap to build and build reliably. I rode yesterday, and my newer crf stayed home, my two stroke yz250 and yz125 took up all the space I had, so my third choice ended up at home.

With local 'talent' charging $85+ per hour, I rebuild out of financial necessity.

A 2T can go as deep as $750 to fully replace/replate everything top and bottom. My personal experience has been $3-400 for the average engine repair.

A 4T can go as deep as $1800 to fully replace the top and bottom end of a thrashed motor. My personal experience has been $4-600 for the average engine repair.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

So 750 for a 2T would be best case scenario then? hmm

Don't worry Bud, I plan on finding a bike to rebuild and I will have a friend help me because he has everything and said if i get the bike and bring it to em' he can help me rebuild it. All in good fun and i really need an inexpensive 125/250 to ride anyways so yeh@!

No worries here my man. I might be partial to a brand BUT.... You should get a YZ125 or 250 (depending on your riding). I offer the same thing to people around me. Bring your bike manual and hands, I have the tools, shop and like good beer. Shit gets done!