Is rebuilding a blown up motor yourself worth it?

SRAD97750

Staff member
So 750 for a 2T would be best case scenario then? hmm
Well, $750 for repairs is about worst case scenario for a 2T motor. That would include cylinder re-plating, piston kit, crank kit, gasket kit.
I just did the top and bottom for a friend on a yz125 and it ran about $400, but no replate required on his.

Rebuilding a CRF450 this week and he's going to be in for a crank kit, piston kit, gasket kit. The head and valves are in spec. He's getting lucky at about $400 plus labor.-BIG DAN:thumb:

if you plan to stick to the track the 5 speed versions are as good as the 6. if you are play riding more, make sure you have the 6 speed version or converting it will be forever on your mind.

I've never been able to figure out why more bikes don't just come with the 6 speed, about every bike I've ever had (all 5 speed) I've wished for another gear.

I've never been able to figure out why more bikes don't just come with the 6 speed, about every bike I've ever had (all 5 speed) I've wished for another gear.

I love the 6 speed gear box on my 300, it's more of a close ratio transmission, but with the extra gear and the torquiness of the motor it works really well both on tight trails or woods and track or more wide open trails.

On some of my rigs I would be happy with three gears if they are the right 3 for the motor. For back country or cross country 5 is more than enough, if again they are the right ratios. I know in the two stroke days the factories were running the equivalent of 3 speeds in the 250s' as the required gears for the rules in some cases were plastic.