RM250 I'm stuck

01 RM 250 Rebuild

I went to buy a crankcase splitter at a local shop today and the guy looked at me like I had 3 eyes. He said they do it with a soft hammer, so I went and bought one. I successfully got the drive side of the case off, but the crank is stuck in the other side. Talking to the guy at the local shop, he did say some are more stubborn the others but this is acting like it has a retainer. The crank itself wiggles, but it won't budge from the bearing.

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

move your blocks of wood closer to the crank cavity before you bust your case. The closer the better. install the nut on the crank and threag it down so the the end of the crank is slightly above the nut. next take a pile of rags and stick them under the crank case half to help catch the crank. Now use a dead blow hammer and a block of wood to tap the crank out.

Next time order the crank splitter from RM as well as the crank puller. Good luck
:thumb:

No other damage is apparent. I still need to get my new connecting for pressed in and clean the interior of the case. Then I will be ready to attempt to resemble.

No other damage is apparent. I still need to get my new connecting for pressed in and clean the interior of the case. Then I will be ready to attempt to resemble.

thats some good news :thumb:

If you are up for it we should hit up some trails up near your area this next year. Horseshoe/Holton area :ride:

Shop called yesterday, my crank is ready to be picked up. Hopefully I can get this bottom end back together this weekend. Any tips?

Shop called yesterday, my crank is ready to be picked up. Hopefully I can get this bottom end back together this weekend. Any tips?

yeah, be gentle, if you have to force anything something isnt right or isnt lining up correctly, and make sure you have all of your trans washers there

I got the bottom end back together and it went much smoother than I thought it would.

IMAG0050.jpg

So while I'm shopping for a new jug I figured I would get the frame painted or powdercoated. Anybody ever have automotive grade paint on their frame? I have a buddy who is willing to hook it up, but it still isn't worth it if it will need to be done again next year.

IMAG0049.jpg

i just painted mine with some satin black hi-temp paint. I used a gun and it seems pretty durable and looks awesome but i can't tell you if it last a month or 10 years yet :noidea:

Let me start by saying athena gaskets are fine. However, there o-rings are complete garbage. None fit correctly and are all too thin. I have new oem's on order.

I got the frame into a shop last weekend to be blasted and powder coated flat black for $225 otd. I should have an assembled bike next weekend! New pro taper bars and "pillow grips were installed as well.