Husky Memorial

Hi Taylor's mom. I emailed you last year regarding this event and I see it is coming up. I will unfortunately be out of town that weekend but my thoughts will be with all of you. I am the guy who put my friend up there who was killed Thanksgiving 2009 on his KTM. I am glad to see you made your way over to this forum. :thumb:

Nice to meet you 530ktm :) Thank you for your interest in this ride. This ride started after Taylor died, but it's really a memorial ride in memory of ALL fallen riders, your friend included. It's such a humbling tribute to our loved ones, who like so many, lived for the sport riding out in the beautiful California desert. I will place a flower on your friends monument while I'm there next weekend. How is the boy doing that was involved in the accident? Hopefully we'll see you next year at the ride. I will post pictures from the ride when I return. Attached is a photo of Taylor, out in Cal City Thanksgiving before the accident a family friend took this picture, and he must of been looking up at plane... One of his friends (we still don't know who) found this picture and photo shopped it with the angel wings... we love it, he was and will forever be my angel watching over all of us....

Attachments

• 3470055.jpg
    3470055.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 77
Nice to meet you 530ktm :) Thank you for your interest in this ride. This ride started after Taylor died, but it's really a memorial ride in memory of ALL fallen riders, your friend included. It's such a humbling tribute to our loved ones, who like so many, lived for the sport riding out in the beautiful California desert. I will place a flower on your friends monument while I'm there next weekend. How is the boy doing that was involved in the accident? Hopefully we'll see you next year at the ride. I will post pictures from the ride when I return. Attached is a photo of Taylor, out in Cal City Thanksgiving before the accident a family friend took this picture, and he must of been looking up at plane... One of his friends (we still don't know who) found this picture and photo shopped it with the angel wings... we love it, he was and will forever be my angel watching over all of us....

Thanks for sharing this with us Mrs Taylor's Mom. I will not be on this ride but, I will be thinking of all of you who are. I hope you drop in now and then. Best Regards. :thumb:

The other boy is still going through physical therapy and is blind in one eye but the last I heard his spirits are up and he is making the best of it. I look forward to the pictures from this event and will hope to see you all the next year this takes place. Be safe.

Just to be clear..I wasn't making light of this thread...only your silly ass comment about referencing TT......:ride:...:thumb:...I remember seeing this at one time while a TT enthusiast...I re-read it and YES it is a sad, sad story...one a parent should never have to go through. With 3 children of my own and 1 of them almost Taylor's age when he died really hits home. Each and every time we ride I have that "fear" that something may happen...I seldom (I won't say never) take this experience for granted as it is or at least can be a dangerous sport.

All I can say is, learn from it and continue on enjoying life as you have and be extra cautious while doing so...
Never took anything you wrote offensive. I remember that first ride and there were a lot of tears shed for this young man. Welcome Mrs. La Kamp.

DSCN0006.jpg
Taylor 139.jpg

On February 17, 2008 Taylor LaKamp lost his life in a tragic off-road accident out in California City. Taylor was only 15 years old.

On March 26th, we are having the “Taylor LaKamp 3rd Annual Memorial Ride” for all fallen riders. It will start at Borax Bills Park in Cal City, and the group will ride out to the Husky Monument as a group. The ride starts at 11:00. We ask that you show up by 10:30 ready to ride. We will not be able to wait for riders to get ready. The Borax Bills parking lot will fill up fast. We are hoping to get a large turnout for this ride like last time.

We will be having some chase trucks in case anyone breaks down on the ride. Safety is #1 on this ride. It is not a race, it's a memorial ride. We do suggest that you pack some water to drink, and also a little snack of some kind.

The ride will be about 70 miles total. You will need a bike, quad, or dune buggy that can do that many miles. For those of you that are not sure how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas, you might want to bring extra for this ride just to be safe. You can put it in one of the chase trucks. Be sure to mark it with you name.

As some of you already know the number for the Cal City police dispatch is

760-373-8606. This is quicker than using the 911 emergency number which is routed to the CHP and then to the EMTs. You should have this number in you phone whenever riding out at Cal City. We will have silicone wristbands with the emergency number on them available for a small donation. The California City Police Department has created the Desert Incident Response Team, to patrol these ultra-terrain areas and to deploy resources for threshold incidents.Any donations will be made to D.I.R.T (Desert Incident Response Team).

Do you need a Cal City permit to do this ride? NO, you will not. The Cal City PD will let you ride on this ride without one.

We do ask that you do wear ALL proper riding gear for the ride. We will also need to follow any riding laws. This means no riding double on dirt bikes or quads that are not set-up to ride double. I want to remind you again this is a 70 mile ride round trip, so it is not a ride intended for real little kids. If you would like to bring real young kids, please bring them in a car or truck. The pace will be less than 40 MPH all the way to Husky. The ride will be an easy ride for all, no real technical parts to it. You will hit a little sand, but not much. Most of the ride is just on dirt roads. Those that want to make it a little more technical, you can do it on the way back. For those that don't want too, you can go back the same way you got to Husky.

Can you just drive you a truck out to the Husky Monument? You sure can. You will just need to go a little slow on the dirt roads leading in and out. We ask if you're going to drive in, you get to Husky before 10:30. The reason for this is, we don't want anyone on dirt bikes, quads or buggies getting ran over by cars or trucks. Also, it will help with some of the dust on the roads. Again safety is #1 on this ride. For additional info contact Taylorsride@gmail.com

Sweet thanks for posting this here. I will be out there paying respect to all the fallen riders including Downhill Alexander and Duane Hawker...

So I just cleared the calendar and will be attending this event. May drag Bota55 along as well. Any other DBAers want to meet up out there? Reading the thread on TT (yes I went there and checked it out), Old-Man said TT was the strongest supporter of all the Forums. :thinking: I may need to hit shorty up and have him send me a little something somthing..:devil:

So who wants to do some stand riding with CDA and get a close look at the Modded TTR?

:thinking: may have to do a break in ride with my new top end :thinking:

Did you just call me a Moron? :moon: Hey 35 miles to let the rings seat, 35 mile back to see if it is going to hold..:prof:

Ohhhh yeaaaaa..........silly me, what was I thinking! :facepalm: very good, very good, carry on.......................:thumb:...:smirk:

Perfect ride to do it at. 35 miles of cruising out to Husky, then 35 miles at a nice CDA pace back....:devil:

I'll see if i can "clear my calendar". :thumb:

OXY-MORON.....:noidea:...can you say holy 6th, 7th 8th gear RACKMAN...who does he think I am, Quinn Cody? :smirk:...:P

As long as he waits for me at the trail splits all is good :thumb:

Did you just call me a Moron? :moon: Hey 35 miles to let the rings seat, 35 mile back to see if it is going to hold..:prof:

I have a little loop we could take on the way back :prof:

Ohhhh yeaaaaa..........silly me, what was I thinking! :facepalm: very good, very good, carry on.......................:thumb:...:smirk:

You going to join us Rez? :devil:

I'll see if i can "clear my calendar". :thumb:

As long as he waits for me at the trail splits all is good :thumb:

I have a little loop we could take on the way back :prof:

You going to join us Rez? :devil:

Is it next weekend? If so I'm in Las Vegas........:banana:...:cry:....:banana:

I just went back and saw it IS on Sat the 26th...:( I wish I was able to join the group for a number of reasons, the main one for the fallen riders and also to finally meet you hooligans.

:wave:Hello Taylor's Mom
Glad you found your way here. I attended the 1st Annual ride and have never forgotten Taylor or that day. I wish I could be there this year. I will stack some stones and spell his name beneath to honor him. It wont be in the California Desert but is it least it is something I can do.