Husky Memorial

I posted this up in the Rider Down section as well but my friend was riding south by himself at the moment when approximately 10 other riders approached from the opposite direction. This was on a dirt road named Hoffman Road that goes right by Cuddeback Lake and up to Randsburg. It was a very dusty day around 11:00 in the morning and the group of bikes approaching my friend were on both sides of the road in a staggered formation with anywhere from 20 feet to 75 feet between each rider. One rider on the wrong side of the road came close to hitting my friend but managed to get over to the correct side of the road and I feel my friend turned around for a split second to see if the kid was okay and when he turned back around another 15 year boy was right there and they hit head on. I personally believe they all were traveling too fast for the conditions and with such dusty and low visibility conditions riders need to pay extra attention to what they are doing and stay on the correct side of trails or in this case road. The bikes front tires missed each other by inches so the main impact was with handle bars and bodies and they hit head to head. My friends brain stem was pretty much torn loose so he was gone at that moment of impact and it was not helmet failure either, it was just that his head stopped momentum so quickly that his brain ripped loose from the stem. There happened to be a lady who was a nurse camping near by and she gave him CPR for 45 minutes until the helicopters arrived but it was useless. It was a very ugly and tragic scene for everyone. The 15 year old boy survived with broken arms, ribs as well as brain damage causing him to be blind in one eye and to this day he is going through therapy. It frustrates me all the time when I see riders being reckless, careless and inconsiderate of others because they just don't seem to understand how in the blink of an eye things can go very wrong for many people.

Never really know what's going through a persons mind however I do know on 1 particular 1 ride we were on my oldest daughter was trying real hard to keep up with faster riders...I was riding drag (sweep) and saw she was going to eat shit if she kept going the direction she was heading ansd speed she was going...sure enough. She was more worried about keeping up then riding at her level PLUS she was on a quad...she hit a pucker push half burried in sand launching her pretty high and far..she landed on her side only knocking the wind out of her but scared her bad enough to slow her down. Nothing worse than a parent actually seeing 1 of your own crash and crash hard...I thought for sure she was out, life flight here we come...but she was just dazed and sore...especially the next morning...her entire side was bruised and stiff...luckily no broken bones OR internally injuries.

Never really know what's going through a persons mind however I do know on 1 particular 1 ride we were on my oldest daughter was trying real hard to keep up with faster riders...I was riding drag (sweep) and saw she was going to eat shit if she kept going the direction she was heading ansd speed she was going...sure enough. She was more worried about keeping up then riding at her level PLUS she was on a quad...she hit a pucker push half burried in sand launching her pretty high and far..she landed on her side only knocking the wind out of her but scared her bad enough to slow her down. Nothing worse than a parent actually seeing 1 of your own crash and crash hard...I thought for sure she was out, life flight here we come...but she was just dazed and sore...especially the next morning...her entire side was bruised and stiff...luckily no broken bones OR internally injuries.
I know exactly what you mean. I let my boy lead one time just so I could watch him ride and see if he was doing everything properly when I suddenly realized he was going at a good clip but started to drift to the wrong side of a dirt road we were on with approaching rises and turns. I freaked and twisted the throttle as fast as I could to get in front of him and make sure no one was coming as well as get him to the correct side of the road. :naughty: This was 5 years ago when he was just a rookie on a bike and he has a lot more experience now but to this day I never let him lead. I am glad you daughter did not have serious injuries in that mishap.

I know exactly what you mean. I let my boy lead one time just so I could watch him ride and see if he was doing everything properly when I suddenly realized he was going at a good clip but started to drift to the wrong side of a dirt road we were on with approaching rises and turns. I freaked and twisted the throttle as fast as I could to get in front of him and make sure no one was coming as well as get him to the correct side of the road. :naughty: This was 5 years ago when he was just a rookie on a bike and he has a lot more experience now but to this day I never let him lead. I am glad you daughter did not have serious injuries in that mishap.

She had the total "quad mentallity" whether she knew it or not. Look. (I'm not falling over so I must be a good rider)...had she been riding a bike she would have been hauling azz. My son's the same way, both he and the oldest are the type to learn by experience not what they've been told...my youngest daughter seems to be learning a whole lot better...she knows how much is enough, etc. which surprises me since she's the hand full at home! :crazy: I just pray each time we're out and everyone is with us that we have a safe trip. I know I can't be the sheep herder all the time...:foul:...that part kills me!

We were riding once to the Pinnacles from Spangler, actually home from the Pinnacles. On the way back on easy trail, our own Agent2 was behind her. Anyway, my daughter, also on a quad was going too fast, got sideways, swapped and went over the bars. It is always a scary time for a parent when that happens.:ride:

I too am very familiar with Taylor LaKamp and his accident. Things can go wrong very quickly on dirt bikes or anything in general when you are just having some fun. This will be the 3rd anniversary for Taylor. Is there another memorial ride this weekend that you know of?

Yes, there is a Memorial ride this year (for all fallen riders) It will be held on Saturday, March 26th. Starting @ Borax Bill Park in Cal City. You can email Taylorsride@gmail.com for information. I (Taylor's Mom) can forward a flyer with all the information on it. Thanks for your interest...

James

Staff member
Yes, there is a Memorial ride this year (for all fallen riders) It will be held on Saturday, March 26th. Starting @ Borax Bill Park in Cal City. You can email Taylorsride@gmail.com for information. I (Taylor's Mom) can forward a flyer with all the information on it. Thanks for your interest...
Hey Mrs. Taylor's Mom, if you send us a copy of that flyer we'll help spread the word. :thumb:

admin@dirtbikeaddicts.com

BTW thanks for posting.

:thinking: I may have to go out and tag along on this trip. Maybe a little tagging might happen.:devil: While cleaning the garage last Friday, I found some old stickers and a hat from my suspension sponsor "Downhill Alexander" who has a plaque out there. Maybe I will take them out and leave them on his site.

:thinking: I may have to go out and tag along on this trip. Maybe a little tagging might happen.:devil: While cleaning the garage last Friday, I found some old stickers and a hat from my suspension sponsor "Downhill Alexander" who has a plaque out there. Maybe I will take them out and leave them on his site.
So I just cleared the calendar and will be attending this event. May drag Bota55 along as well. Any other DBAers want to meet up out there? Reading the thread on TT (yes I went there and checked it out), Old-Man said TT was the strongest supporter of all the Forums. :thinking: I may need to hit shorty up and have him send me a little something somthing..:devil:

So who wants to do some stand riding with CDA and get a close look at the Modded TTR?

You had and oldman sighting? :lol::lol: We gotta get him over here. Good guy for sure. He was very involved in the first La Kamp ride organizing.:thumb:
I rode with Oldman way back when I first met you WG in Cal City. Maybe his bike and rig will get tagged...:devil:

Very sad story behind this. Do a google search for Taylor La Kamp and see for yourself.:ride:

Just to be clear..I wasn't making light of this thread...only your silly ass comment about referencing TT......:ride:...:thumb:...I remember seeing this at one time while a TT enthusiast...I re-read it and YES it is a sad, sad story...one a parent should never have to go through. With 3 children of my own and 1 of them almost Taylor's age when he died really hits home. Each and every time we ride I have that "fear" that something may happen...I seldom (I won't say never) take this experience for granted as it is or at least can be a dangerous sport.

All I can say is, learn from it and continue on enjoying life as you have and be extra cautious while doing so...

Hi Taylor's mom. I emailed you last year regarding this event and I see it is coming up. I will unfortunately be out of town that weekend but my thoughts will be with all of you. I am the guy who put my friend up there who was killed Thanksgiving 2009 on his KTM. I am glad to see you made your way over to this forum. :thumb: