how the heck can you guys stand MX boots?!

after a 30 min ride i got where i could find the shifter a little better but i still hate the boots all in all i think the were a bad idea but im gonna tuff it out because i dont want to be old a crippled by the time im 30. but seriously iv never had a problem with street shoes or hunting boots iv only hurt my foot once when i kicked a rock on the trail but the pain went away almost instantly. so far its been harder to ride with MX boots than if i were bare-foot i still have trouble with my brakes i keep locking up the back ones coz i cant feel the pedal when it touches my foot, and i cant find the shifter so im havng to let off and clutch it in and then stop with my front brakes.

What is all this breaking boots in stuff I am hearing. Most of your boots today are made with material that already gives you the flexibility of a "Broken in" boot. I'll date myself now, but back in the 80's I rode for AXO and those boots needed to be broke in, but once you got a boot to feel like your tennis shoe, it was time for new ones because now you do not have the support.

I have had Tech 6, 8 and 10s from the 90's to current that right out of the box they feel great. Remember, once a boot gets too comfy it is possible time to replace them.

James

Staff member
but seriously iv never had a problem with street shoes or hunting boots iv only hurt my foot once when i kicked a rock on the trail but the pain went away almost instantly. so far its been harder to ride with MX boots than if i were bare-foot
If I remember right you've only ridden trails right? On the track the boots help with hyper-extension (by over/under jumping and your ankles taking a bigger impact then they should). Plus just like on trails you can snag your foot in ruts and what have you.
What is all this breaking boots in stuff I am hearing. Most of your boots today are made with material that already gives you the flexibility of a "Broken in" boot.
I'm not sure about ALL boots but I'm thinking that the higher end models are already pretty much broken in. My Thor Quadrants (cheap boots) needed a decent break-in, however my Tech 7's were pretty good out of the box. :thumb:

I think everyone has trouble when they first start wearing boots. But give her time and you wont be riding without them! Higher your shifter a bit.

If I remember right you've only ridden trails right? On the track the boots help with hyper-extension (by over/under jumping and your ankles taking a bigger impact then they should). Plus just like on trails you can snag your foot in ruts and what have you.

I'm not sure about ALL boots but I'm thinking that the higher end models are already pretty much broken in. My Thor Quadrants (cheap boots) needed a decent break-in, however my Tech 7's were pretty good out of the box. :thumb:

my sidi's definitly needed to break in. not as bad of a rbeak in as the cheap boots i had but holy shit were they hurting my feet the first couple rides.

Wait until you come up short on that 1st big double or get hung up in a fast rut... You'll be thanking your lucky stars you were wearing boots!
Give it a couple of rides and next time warm them up in the oven for 10mins at 170 and then put them on and walk around the house.

Wait until you come up short on that 1st big double or get hung up in a fast rut... You'll be thanking your lucky stars you were wearing boots!
Give it a couple of rides and next time warm them up in the oven for 10mins at 170 and then put them on and walk around the house.

put them in the oven!?

When you put them in the oven it softens the leather and plastic temporarily and the boot molds to your foot a little better. then use a boot conditioner or armor-all on them so the leather doesnt dry out

James

Staff member
When you put them in the oven it softens the leather and plastic temporarily and the boot molds to your foot a little better. then use a boot conditioner or armor-all on them so the leather doesnt dry out
Never thought of that, I might have to try it next time. :thumb:

Saturate the leather parts with Snowseal~put them in oven for a few. Helps with break in and forming to your foot. Got the idea off
TT, tried it with my Tech 3's and seemed to help quite a bit.

Saturate the leather parts with Snowseal~put them in oven for a few. Helps with break in and forming to your foot. Got the idea off
TT, tried it with my Tech 3's and seemed to help quite a bit.

Sno-seal! Thats the stuff! I can never remember the name....:thumb:

Not the easiest things to break in or get use to. Before they had bucle up )mx) boots we had a choice of hiking boots and work boots that included "linesman" boots...LACE UP to the fricken knee just about. Once broken in your ankle wasn't supported but the rest was ok. You'd have to start "gearing up" a 1/2 hour before anyone else if you wore those, it took that long to tie.

Once your boots break in you'll wear nothing else...Like T-Rav said, you'll feel naked without em. Slam your toes into a rock a couple times, run over your own foot, do some leg slappers against the tire, exhaust, swing arm and you'll be glad you have those suckers on....Not that I've ever done ANY of those things...:prof:

I love my Fox Comp 5's. I won't go out without them. They just need broken in to and to get use to. Once so then you'll be great. Try moving your shifter up and brake pedal up in the mean time, that should help!