2 Stroke Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guess I'm diving in here, in 07 I went on a 82 mile ride with my buddies, we ride at our pace, which is quick, but manageable, from time to time we bring guests with us, I remember this experienced rider who said he wanted to ride with us on his, you guessed it......CR 500. He couldn't hang, we had our 250's and 300's hell one guy had a WR450, we were stopping ,waiting for him, he just couldn't get it going,that bike just was not for anything but maybe the desert (I'm guessing as I've never been there, but if it's not good there then it has no use)The bike wore him out, because of poor handeling and wheel spin, terrible in the mud and woods,he got stuck numerous times,I was not impressed, that's the only 500 I've seen on a ride with me,probably because they are NOT a trail bike, they are a one trick pony, basically a drag race in a straight line. I like my bikes to have better handeling traits than that.

Ok guess I'm diving in here, in 07 I went on a 82 mile ride with my buddies, we ride at our pace, which is quick, but manageable, from time to time we bring guests with us, I remember this experienced rider who said he wanted to ride with us on his, you guessed it......CR 500. He couldn't hang, we had our 250's and 300's hell one guy had a WR450, we were stopping ,waiting for him, he just couldn't get it going,that bike just was not for anything but maybe the desert (I'm guessing as I've never been there, but if it's not good there then it has no use)The bike wore him out, because of poor handeling and wheel spin, terrible in the mud and woods,he got stuck numerous times,I was not impressed, that's the only 500 I've seen on a ride with me,probably because they are NOT a trail bike, they are a one trick pony, basically a drag race in a straight line. I like my bikes to have better handeling traits than that.
Lack of rider skill too. I can ride my big ol xr650r at a reasonable pace in the woods even though it wasn't meant for it.... rekluse sure helps though.

They are a handfull on the "snot". Mine never was my choice for that, but of all the years I have ridden my 87 it would still work for knik. Had lots of people follow it to the glacier and back. But if i was riding Sutton and it was even cloudy there are lots of things I would rather ride and usually I owned them too. You have to wonder "how experienced". An ex racer that was "a" or "expert" or just owned a bike a long time?

:thinking: I'm guessing you were lied to. :naughty: When the CR500 rider said he was an experienced rider. :prof: He may have been experienced but, not at woods riding. The way you described him, it sounds as though he had no throttle control at all. After all you claim to be a 2stroke rider. I would have to say other wise if you never rode a 500cc two stroke. If you have rode a 500cc 2stroke you did exactly whet you described. You got on sat down and shut-up and pinned it. Then got off and that was as far as your 500cc 2stroke experience got. Have you ever took the time to learn how to control the power? You would be amazed as to what you can do with even a steel chassi 500cc 2stroke. :prof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAG2qb6lbrU&feature=player_detailpage

:thinking: I'm guessing you were lied to. :naughty: When the CR500 rider said he was an experienced rider. :prof: He may have been experienced but, not at woods riding. The way you described him, it sounds as though he had no throttle control at all. After all you claim to be a 2stroke rider. I would have to say other wise if you never rode a 500cc two stroke. If you have rode a 500cc 2stroke you did exactly whet you described. You got on sat down and shut-up and pinned it. Then got off and that was as far as your 500cc 2stroke experience got. Have you ever took the time to learn how to control the power? You would be amazed as to what you can do with even a steel chassi 500cc 2stroke. :prof:

Come ride the trail in question, more power does not make a better bike by itself, if your on slick winding trails, single track switch back rock covered trails on the side of a 800 foot drop off, or soft mud with, standing water in a wooded area, it does not make any difference how much power you have, this guy I've known for years, and can ride most trails well on other bikes, this one he had that day was not suited for the ride. Period.
Oh yeah, by the way, is suppose your right, I have no idea how to ride a two stroke since I don't own a honda cr500 AF.and one more thing, you keep talking about "throttle control" yet you tell us the only way to ride a 500 is shut up and pin it. That's how I rode a 125 when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Why bother having a big bore period... woods or desert if your're going to have to use throttle control UNLESS you are a big guy and need the extra grunt to get to the destination???

Come ride the trail in question, more power does not make a better bike by itself, if your on slick winding trails, single track switch back rock covered trails on the side of a 800 foot drop off, or soft mud with, standing water in a wooded area, it does not make any difference how much power you have, this guy I've known for years, and can ride most trails well on other bikes, this one he had that day was not suited for the ride. Period.
Oh yeah, by the way, is suppose your right, I have no idea how to ride a two stroke since I don't own a honda cr500 AF.and one more thing, you keep talking about "throttle control" yet you tell us the only way to ride a 500 is shut up and pin it. That's how I rode a 125 when I was a kid.

I totally agree.. makes little to no sense other than what you or I said...

:popcorn:........... next...

it is just fun to have one. Period. I think you had to grow up with the idea that it was where all the best ended up when they finally grew up to want one for a long time.

Hello, excuse me, But, my comment of "The only way to ride a 500 is to pin it". Was in reference of your comment. when you said it was a one trick pony for drag racing. I'm thinking you refuse to watch any videos showing proof that a 500cc 2stroke. Can do just about5 anything you are willing to do with it.
You talk about a guy getting stuck, having difficulties with handling and not being able to keep up. I find this to be very funny. :lol: :lol: The reason why I find it funny is. You and others like you never once show any proof of your claims. That a 500cc 2stroke is a poor bike for the trails, woods or any riding in which you say it is terrible at. I have posted videos of the very bikes you say are so terrible doing exactly what you say it can not do. Hell, I believe you have never taken the time to watch any of the videos of the 500cc 2strokes. By the way I mean all 500cc 2strokes. :ride: Thanks for posting

I just can't imagine that much awesome power at my finger tips rippin me through the trees... Sketchy at best for me, would loose my shit though if you gave me an 87 xr250 to throttle through some wicked off-road :drool: fuck yeah!!! Merica!!!

I just can't imagine that much awesome power at my finger tips rippin me through the trees... Sketchy at best for me, would loose my shit though if you gave me an 87 xr250 to throttle through some wicked off-road :drool: fuck yeah!!! Merica!!!
You only go as fast as you twist the throttle. I will search for the article in Dirt Rider magazine. Many years ago the had said that it was easier for a novice rider to learn how to ride and use proper throttle control on a 500cc 2stroke. The power only hits as hard as you twist the throttle. Much the same as a four stroke of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.