Other Honda Xr350r Timing

I think we all have a few times. Lots of us can tell you about buying one that just needed a countershaft bearing, the owner took it apart, has it all there "has to move and can't fix it" even has a bearing and seal, you buy it, put it together and it pops out of third like crazy. finally you run into his brother inlaw and he asks if it still pops out of third.

used, apart, broken, no history, and though xr's are as common as dirt bikes go, this one just happens to be the most uncommon one next to it's single carbed 1985 brother. Now sprinkle on a dose of "I know which parts are bad" (the obvious ones ONLY), and you get right here.

If the op takes a little different approach he can end up with an easily upgraded bike that is excellent and the only reason it was uncommon was more related to a market that just wasn't there.

used, apart, broken, no history, and though xr's are as common as dirt bikes go, this one just happens to be the most uncommon one next to it's single carbed 1985 brother. Now sprinkle on a dose of "I know which parts are bad" (the obvious ones ONLY), and you get right here.

If the op takes a little different approach he can end up with an easily upgraded bike that is excellent and the only reason it was uncommon was more related to a market that just wasn't there.

In a market that 250's and 600's ruled. Tho I will say that the 83 xr200 was a real full size bike. Not the wussy piss Ant version that it was turned into later.

I can't remember the last time I rode a bike without reed valves. I think it was a 73 Jawa the one where the kickstarter was also the gear shift.

If you can believe it, I have heard people old enough and well off enough to qualify for a home loan say "NO two stroke will even run without a reed valve".

Last edited:
I checked and the timing is correct according to the manual. I dont know if it matters but when I kick start it over slowly you can hear a whistle threw the left hand carb

Sounds like the timing is out.
I should elaborate.
You may be 180*out on your timing often enough people don't check to make sure that the crank is at a true tdc. They also don't double check that once the cam chain is tight everything still lines up.

Last edited: