Other Honda Xr350r Timing

I found one on eBay im gonna order in the next few days. Why can't I grind the valves?

Well I don't see why u can't?? Whatever you take off the face you must take off the top for proper lash. It's a good idea to check the clearance between the valve and guide and get the seats checked u can lap em in by yourself very inexpensively to save cost and usually affective enough to do the job. As long the seats are not trashed

Last edited:
The one guy said "Grinding the valves is NOT what you do with stellite coated valves" so I was just wondering. I'll see if I can get the seats checked by a machine shop.

The one guy said "Grinding the valves is NOT what you do with stellite coated valves" so I was just wondering. I'll see if I can get the seats checked by a machine shop.

Did not see that on this forum..

That is true on coated valves on not grinding them. U will take the coating off and it will work for a short time but will get the face beatup pretty quick.

It may have a haze or color difference. From a different part of the valve.

Dlc coating is diamond like coating and is black. Just for reference

There is a guy in AZ called
short block Charlie's

Serch that name on the web or call. He specializes in cycles and ask him what to do

tel:480-282-3472

If you grind the stellite valves or recut them, you simply destroy the coating which was there with a purpose. The exhaust valves in one of the hottest running heads anyone has turned loose (the 350's even had the distinction of being the hottest running of the xr's, which do to that extra rocker arrangement for the radial valve angles on it was already way up there as far as hot heads went) "burn" really fast when you do that. Of course it is hard to weigh which will make them burn quicker, the off center mismatched seats you have or the removal of the stellite.

I dont know what you paid for your valves, but getting the guides knurled and the seats cut, and as was pointed out by the Ford guy, reshimming is very likely necessary, I can get that done for less than 4 new valves cost. Like Mi was saying, that chain needs tossing.

Last edited:
Well I don't see why u can't?? Whatever you take off the face you must take off the top for proper lash. It's a good idea to check the clearance between the valve and guide and get the seats checked u can lap em in by yourself very inexpensively to save cost and usually affective enough to do the job. As long the seats are not trashed

Lol, how could they be thrashed, heck they are only 33 years old or so, had bent valves run against them. Thrashed?