Help a newbie out?

I say forget the book, and spend the $20 on pre mix and gas...:rolleyes:

It sure did help me out, my dad got it for me when i started track and I learned alot from it. I read through everything 3 times and would keep it in my gear bag for refrence. the only thing I needed after reading that was lots of practice, working out and little fear.

James

Staff member
Well I don't want a 450 due to the fact that people say it makes you lazy on the mx track. And I don't want to get lazy. I want to develop technique and have to work for it. But thank you for your suggestion. :thumb:
Another option would be getting a 250f and putting a big bore in it. I wouldn't go more than 276cc (+4 mm) though as the reliability will decrease. A big bore gives you big bike power with a little bike feel. :thumb:
I say forget the book, and spend the $20 on pre mix and gas...:rolleyes:
$20 in pre-mix and gas (time on the track) isn't going to help you if your technique is flawed. :rolleyes:

I prefer videos/movies as you can actually see what's happening. The best thing though is having somebody watch you at the track and give you tips on the fly. :thumb:

Another option would be getting a 250f and putting a big bore in it. I wouldn't go more than 276cc (+4 mm) though as the reliability will decrease. A big bore gives you big bike power with a little bike feel. :thumb:

$20 in pre-mix and gas (time on the track) isn't going to help you if your technique is flawed. :rolleyes:

I prefer videos/movies as you can actually see what's happening. The best thing though is having somebody watch you at the track and give you tips on the fly. :thumb:

Yeah but you don't ride Single Track woods in WA. so what do you know about anything? :lol:

Oh, and by the way Johomoloco, I ride single, double track, MX track and anthing else I can find and do it on a MX bike with no mods so :moon:

Yeah but you don't ride Single Track woods in WA. so what do you know about anything? :lol:

Oh, and by the way Johomoloco, I ride single, double track, MX track and anthing else I can find and do it on a MX bike with no mods so :moon:
It can be done... But it sure beats you up and tires you out much faster....

Not saying anything here but at 250lbs plus the riding gear you may want to think about a 450 or more. :thinking: I loved my YZ450 and I am around 220lbs plus gear. :devil:

yea, me too..............:smirk:.............:devil:................:shocked: but seriously, I've riddeen a YZF250 and it had lots of power but that was on flat, hardpack terrain...don't know about "holeshots", sand or uphills...reason why I go the BIGGGGGG bores! or make that Huuuuuge bores!

Lol I must repeat myself. I love this place. Hahaha you're all very helpful. I don't know about a 250f with a big bore mod. How much more power could you get out of a 276f?

He weighs 250. That's without gear? way too much for a 250f, if he wants to be competitive on the track.

Lol I must repeat myself. I love this place. Hahaha you're all very helpful. I don't know about a 250f with a big bore mod. How much more power could you get out of a 276f?

IMO go 250 2t. You'll learn more skills and won't get bored of the bike. a 250f will probably cost you as much as a nice 250 2t in your area and a big bore would make it more, remember now, if you want to ride in the woods(singletrack) any MXer will need mods. Plus even with the bore a 250f will still have allot less power than a 250 2t.

He weighs 250. That's without gear? way too much for a 250f, if he wants to be competitive on the track.

IMO go 250 2t. You'll learn more skills and won't get bored of the bike. a 250f will probably cost you as much as a nice 250 2t in your area and a big bore would make it more, remember now, if you want to ride in the woods(singletrack) any MXer will need mods. Plus even with the bore a 250f will still have allot less power than a 250 2t.

Really, that is the second time I heard this, I ride a mx bike and I don't have any mods. I am not the best trail rider nor the best Mx rider either but not sure why everyone thinks you have to mod your bike out to ride it in the woods. What? maybe some hand guards and a skid plate, I don't even have that and don't really consider that really modding the bike out like you guys are insinuating.

James

Staff member
Really, that is the second time I heard this, I ride a mx bike and I don't have any mods. I am not the best trail rider nor the best Mx rider either but not sure why everyone thinks you have to mod your bike out to ride it in the woods. What? maybe some hand guards and a skid plate, I don't even have that and don't really consider that really modding the bike out like you guys are insinuating.
:thumb: About the only thing I'd do is add bark busters and a skid plate.

I guess it depends on how serious you want to be as you could add a flywheel weight, different tires, and suspension changes. :noidea:

I guess it depends on how serious you want to be as you could add a flywheel weight, different tires, and suspension changes. :noidea:

I can change my suspension on the fly, I just adjust my clickers. If I ride track I set the compression for stiff and the rebound fast and if I want to ride trail I can set them to soft and slow. A skid plate is something I do need but I don't think that is a mod that you have to do just for woods. If you ride a rocky track then you need protection as well. Rocky flies up off the bottom of your front tire it can right through you case but as slow as I am I shouldn't need to worry about that.:smirk:

For a 250 2 stroke

bark busters
cut bars down
slightly lower gearing
3 gallon plus tank is defiantly a need.
spark arrestor
kicks stands are awesome!
some kind of pipe guard
suspension can be dealt with by adjusting, but it will always be harsher
many prefer the 18" wheel, but My buddies never have a problem with their 19"s.... (no trials tire though...)
fly wheel weights are nice, but not a necessity, especially if you are a faster rider..
headlight kits are also nice, but not needed by most people

This is for a more serious woods rider in my area, dez and quad trail riders may have different needs:thumb:

:cry: Same here. :pout:

man you guys name off alot of stuff... the true basics
Bark busters
pipe guard
skid plate
maybe regearing
after that everything is completely optional

I never used a pipe guard, but i was a relatively slow rider and i never had a skid plate

Dude needs a 4 stroke! Nuff said! If the skill level is low, and the "lipids" are high, 4 stroke! I think the early XR Hondas make the best 4 strokes ever produced in the world. XR400R. But if I had to get a cheap, reliable, modern (2004+) 4 stroke, I'd give the nod to the Yamaha WR series. Not for any other reason than they are good engines. They need tweaking in other areas. But the motor lasts! And that's important as hell!