Help a newbie out?

Hey everyone. I'm deciding on a bike and I was hoping for more input . This topic was originally in my newbie thead I started. There were only about 4 people giving me insight. And James suggested I post in here for more. Anyways, here's the low down. I'm 6'0, 250 lbs (don't judge me :P) I've riden a few bikes before, but I haven't been on one in 5 years. I plan on riding trail and MX. I've pretty much decided on a 250 2t. The only thing I can't decide is brand. I've been looking at KTM, Suzuki, and Yamaha for the most part. So, can anyone help me out? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Later. :thumb:

Any of the brands you mentioned are good bikes, I wouldn't be scared to get any of the three mention. KTM might be a little higher price than the other two. RMs are way better cornering bikes then either one of the other two. YZ are easier to jet and aren't as finicky as RM's from my understanding. Really, just pick a color.

Let me tell you what Josmoloco will tell you...KTM 200's are the best bikes in the world and they don't make any other brands that compare. There, I said for you Jos, so you won't have to post here.:P

Any of the brands you mentioned are good bikes, I wouldn't be scared to get any of the three mention. KTM might be a little higher price than the other two. RMs are way better cornering bikes then either one of the other two. YZ are easier to jet and aren't as finicky as RM's from my understanding. Really, just pick a color.

Let me tell you what Josmoloco will tell you...KTM 200's are the best bikes in the world and they don't make any other brands that compare. There, I said for you Jos, so you won't have to post here.:P

Lol, yeah he has been telling me that KTM's are really good bikes. Hahahaha they look pretty damn fine to me as well. And what do you mean by "finicky"? Is that like, hard to start, or feels a little shaky, or what? Sorry. My motocross lingo isn't up to par.

Lol, yeah he has been telling me that KTM's are really good bikes. Hahahaha they look pretty damn fine to me as well. And what do you mean by "finicky"? Is that like, hard to start, or feels a little shaky, or what? Sorry. My motocross lingo isn't up to par.

I mean that like mine, RM250, it is PIA to get jetted right and just the combination a weakening topend or changing something simple like a pipe, silencer or reeds on a YZ might not have as drastic as effect on the bike as it would on a RM. My RM handles like it is on a rail and would not give that up for any blue or orange bike, but would love to have the simplicity of the YZ jetting.

Not saying anything here but at 250lbs plus the riding gear you may want to think about a 450 or more. :thinking: I loved my YZ450 and I am around 220lbs plus gear. :devil:

Do you ride washington woods... or even single track in general? :moon:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/2435169823.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/2440315328.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2392408489.html
So, you asked about the mxc in the other thread, the mxc is a hybrid between the enduro model (exc, like mine) and the Moto model (sx). For our area, the exc and mxc work best, although the sx with mods can also be great(although not neccesarly better than a jap mx bike). You may notice ktm 300's and 250's are very hard to find, especially for a decent price in our area as well, and that is with good reason, people love them! I had to travel south of salem for my 200.. :foul:

Comming from a yamaha guy, Suzuki guy, and a couple KTMers, all the picks are good :thumb: As I already stated the YZ will have the best suspension, which really matters for an all around bigger dude. The one on my YZF is a killer SSS, easy to set up and feels real good on track and trail. The KTM has a hydraulic clutch and a good engine. If you read the mags, or ask the locals, its a nice feature. The RM, from seeing jacksons go at the CC ride, its a solid bike with a nice pull. It had a good sound and a good engine, that is from a spectators view.

You really would be happy with any of the rides, so pick your favroite color. Personally I like the YZ the most, just because I ride blue and have had good experiances with my ride.

Not saying anything here but at 250lbs plus the riding gear you may want to think about a 450 or more. :thinking: I loved my YZ450 and I am around 220lbs plus gear. :devil:

Well I don't want a 450 due to the fact that people say it makes you lazy on the mx track. And I don't want to get lazy. I want to develop technique and have to work for it. But thank you for your suggestion. :thumb:
Do you ride washington woods... or even single track in general? :moon:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/2435169823.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/2440315328.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2392408489.html
So, you asked about the mxc in the other thread, the mxc is a hybrid between the enduro model (exc, like mine) and the Moto model (sx). For our area, the exc and mxc work best, although the sx with mods can also be great(although not neccesarly better than a jap mx bike). You may notice ktm 300's and 250's are very hard to find, especially for a decent price in our area as well, and that is with good reason, people love them! I had to travel south of salem for my 200.. :foul:

Damn!! South of Salem? Ahahaha you must have wanted that bike pretty damn badly. Hahahaha yeah they do seem hard to find. The only KTM' I can find on craiglist are the SX and EXC models.I like the SX ones though. They look pretty nice. Maybe I'll have to staryt looking in like Salem for em. Or other places that are way out of my way. Lol, thanks for the info man.:thumb:

Comming from a yamaha guy, Suzuki guy, and a couple KTMers, all the picks are good :thumb: As I already stated the YZ will have the best suspension, which really matters for an all around bigger dude. The one on my YZF is a killer SSS, easy to set up and feels real good on track and trail. The KTM has a hydraulic clutch and a good engine. If you read the mags, or ask the locals, its a nice feature. The RM, from seeing jacksons go at the CC ride, its a solid bike with a nice pull. It had a good sound and a good engine, that is from a spectators view.

You really would be happy with any of the rides, so pick your favroite color. Personally I like the YZ the most, just because I ride blue and have had good experiances with my ride.

Yamaha is in a VERY close second with KTM. Everyone who owns a YZ seems to love it. No matter if its a 2t or 4t. And I see plenty of YZ 2t's for sale on craiglist for around $2500. So that's definitely one of my options. Thank hou for the insite.:ride:

Yamaha is in a VERY close second with KTM. Everyone who owns a YZ seems to love it. No matter if its a 2t or 4t. And I see plenty of YZ 2t's for sale on craiglist for around $2500. So that's definitely one of my options. Thank hou for the insite.:ride:

Awesome! Tell me if I can help you at all with technique or tips or anything :thumb: I actually have a book you might be intreasted that has pro tips and stuff.

That once 300 was in the oly area :devil:

The YZ will need a few mods to be woods ready.... I almost gave up looking for a 200 and was so close to buying a 03 yz250.... glad I didn't, but I dont ride mx on the 200..

Large capacity fuel tank ~$200
regearing ~$60
bark busters ~$85
Fly wheel weight would be great $120
spark arrestor $100 (on ebay)

The yz also has mx suspension, no headlight, no kickstand, 19" wheel, aggressive porting and ignition, narrow gear ratio.... They can be grat woods bikes, but need mods

Awesome! Tell me if I can help you at all with technique or tips or anything :thumb: I actually have a book you might be intreasted that has pro tips and stuff.

Dude you're awesome. What's the book called? I might be able to get it from the library or something. I'll definitely need help with technique. So you'll be the first one I talk to. Much appreciated. By the way, you're signature is BADASS!! :thumb:

That once 300 was in the oly area :devil:

The YZ will need a few mods to be woods ready.... I almost gave up looking for a 200 and was so close to buying a 03 yz250.... glad I didn't, but I dont ride mx on the 200..

Large capacity fuel tank ~$200
regearing ~$60
bark busters ~$85
Fly wheel weight would be great $120
spark arrestor $100 (on ebay)

The yz also has mx suspension, no headlight, no kickstand, 19" wheel, aggressive porting and ignition, narrow gear ratio.... They can be grat woods bikes, but need mods

Damn, $600 for mods to make the YZ woods friendly? What's a bark buster? Kind of sounds like a noise suppressor. And how do you regear a bike? Is that something someone can do at home? Or will I need to take it to a shop? Obviously if you don't know what you're doing it goes to a shop. Hahaha what about Honda's? Lol, I hope I don't start a war here asking about brands and all. Everyone having their loyalties and what not.

Dude you're awesome. What's the book called? I might be able to get it from the library or something. I'll definitely need help with technique. So you'll be the first one I talk to. Much appreciated. By the way, you're signature is BADASS!! :thumb:

Damn, $600 for mods to make the YZ woods friendly? What's a bark buster? Kind of sounds like a noise suppressor. And how do you regear a bike? Is that something someone can do at home? Or will I need to take it to a shop? Obviously if you don't know what you're doing it goes to a shop. Hahaha what about Honda's? Lol, I hope I don't start a war here asking about brands and all. Everyone having their loyalties and what not.

Bark busters are handguards, I had to buy a pair for my 200 as well. Many used bikes already come with spark arrestors,like my cr250r did. Regearing, I included new sprockets and chain from rmatv, very easy to do. If nothing is worn out, a simple $15 sprocket will do.