Helmet Thread (So you can leave our RRs alone)

No but if you want to get technical, helmets do have a "shelf-life".

If you look you will find a manufacturing date inside the helmet. At least I have found them in every helmet that I have ever had. I believe that standard reasoning is that a helmet has a five year shelf life. I've gone into year six before, but that's the oldest I've ever run. You do have to be careful with closeouts sometimes because I once got a two year old helmet. Nearly half it's life was already done.

I'm not in the one minor scratch or tiny ding and it's done crowd. It's really the foam that saves you. Most think that it is the shell, but that is not true. Sure if the shell is really damaged then yes it's done. Damage to the paint in of little consequence.

My last helmet was killed by my bike. Over thanksgiving at Spangler I had the helmet on the end of the bars at camp. The wind blew my bike over on the helmet side and the end of the bars did a number on the foam upon impact. I wasn't sad as that helmet had just hit that five year expiration anyway.

Here's where I get my last year model Bell Moto 8's for $150-$170. :thumb:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/search/bell_helmets

2 yrs ago I bought Bell moto 7s for the kid and I.... The price was right, budget was tight so I gottem... They are a fine helmet unless you have a big head. While my kid likes his I could never get mine to be comfy enough to love it. Goggles were an issue too cause I could never get the Scotts to fit right the face opening seemed too small.... yeah I raced like that, but now I think its time we go back to Shoei.

Hey, if someone could trow me a link I gotta buy a new helmet :noidea: I wanna go DOT Snell approved, black white or mostly some shade of blue for under 120$ Gear is all FOX, as if it matters. Preferably light and cool, size large, may be able to cram a med :thumb: If anybody either knows something, of comes across a nice deal, lemme know. Thanks!!

I had a bell moto 8 that I loved, sadly I crashed and completly wiped it out, I didn't have the money for another high end helmet so I bought a EVS Factor that was on closeout at RMA, its plenty comfy, just not as well ventilated.

Hey, if someone could trow me a link I gotta buy a new helmet :noidea: I wanna go DOT Snell approved, black white or mostly some shade of blue for under 120$ Gear is all FOX, as if it matters. Preferably light and cool, size large, may be able to cram a med :thumb: If anybody either knows something, of comes across a nice deal, lemme know. Thanks!!
Hey YD, just do what I do - while your in the pits at the races just go all Ninja-like about 2 a.m. And go rumaging through all the trailers. I usually get three to four high-end lids a night. Best part, is they're free. :thumb: Oh, and, you're welcome :thumb:

Helmet life is 5 years, 3 for female riders due to all the chemicals some put in their hair. After that the foams life is done for. A helmet outside of most people's budget is Arai. Although they are expensive they are the best helmet on the market, I don't have one since im broke and im a cheap ass haha. Carbon fiber is a pathetic helmet material, its light sure, but it takes impact as well as glass. Fiberglass helmets are the way to go.

Helmet life is 5 years, 3 for female riders due to all the chemicals some put in their hair. After that the foams life is done for. A helmet outside of most people's budget is Arai. Although they are expensive they are the best helmet on the market, I don't have one since im broke and im a cheap ass haha. Carbon fiber is a pathetic helmet material, its light sure, but it takes impact as well as glass. Fiberglass helmets are the way to go.
:thumb: thanks

you can find good helemts for 99 bucks :prof: check into closeouts. i got my current shift helmet for 50 bucks cause i had 50 credit on RMATV. There is no reason to go buy a 400 dollar helmet. unless you are worried about features like vents comfyness or easy release straps kinda of stuff.

corsair_v_carbon_2_detail.jpg

found one for you

This is an Arai Corsair V RC

retails for $3995.00 (yes 4 thousand dollars!!!)

it takes 6 weeks for Arai to make it and it consists of eleven layers of Carbon fiber with fiberglass resign.