Helmet Thread (So you can leave our RRs alone)

Thanks guys! I completely understand what yall are saying.

My helmet was an $80 Fulmer. I'll probably drop a few more dollars on my new helmet. $150 sounds pretty good to me.

the helmets I buy are usually in the $300-$400 range. I do buy them a year after they come out so they are more in the 150-200 range.... :smirk:

James

Staff member
Got my first Bell Moto 8 last year and went down a couple times, but didn't really think about helmet integrity at the time. Then late May I had a decent hit that had me dazed for a bit, at the time I didn't even consider getting a new helmet. :bonk: I didn't ride for 2 weeks after that though (bro's wedding, didn't want to get hurt) and when I finally went riding again, the helmet felt "weird". After a close inspection I'd discovered that the foam was compressed/soft on one side and the foam shell was loose. :shocked: Didn't take me long to get a new one after noticing that stuff. So I ended up getting another Moto 8 and around 3 weeks later I had a much bigger hit. :cripple: Got knocked out, ER, surgery...:blah::blah::blah:

So some time later I finally went and checked my helmet. Guess what? After a lot of searching and inspecting, I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it, besides some scuffs/scratches on the outer shell. Huh? :confused: How in the hell could that be, I got knocked the F out. :noidea:

My point in all this is that you can't always easily detect damage to helmets, use your own judgment. Remember it's your BRAIN we're talking about here, good luck living without it. :thumb:
A helmet is a consumable item. After one time doing it's job, it's done, it's life is over. Replacing your helmet is a cost of this sport.
:thumb: This is one (of many :P) things I preach about regarding safety.
Thanks guys! I completely understand what yall are saying.

My helmet was an $80 Fulmer. I'll probably drop a few more dollars on my new helmet. $150 sounds pretty good to me.

the helmets I buy are usually in the $300-$400 range. I do buy them a year after they come out so they are more in the 150-200 range.... :smirk:
Here's where I get my last year model Bell Moto 8's for $150-$170. :thumb:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/search/bell_helmets

Got my first Bell Moto 8 last year and went down a couple times, but didn't really think about helmet integrity at the time. Then late May I had a decent hit that had me dazed for a bit, at the time I didn't even consider getting a new helmet. :bonk: I didn't ride for 2 weeks after that though (bro's wedding, didn't want to get hurt) and when I finally went riding again, the helmet felt "weird". After a close inspection I'd discovered that the foam was compressed/soft on one side and the foam shell was loose. :shocked: Didn't take me long to get a new one after noticing that stuff. So I ended up getting another Moto 8 and around 3 weeks later I had a much bigger hit. :cripple: Got knocked out, ER, surgery...:blah::blah::blah:

So some time later I finally went and checked my helmet. Guess what? After a lot of searching and inspecting, I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it, besides some scuffs/scratches on the outer shell. Huh? :confused: How in the hell could that be, I got knocked the F out. :noidea:

My point in all this is that you can't always easily detect damage to helmets, use your own judgment. Remember it's your BRAIN we're talking about here, good luck living without it. :thumb:

:thumb: This is one (of many :P) things I preach about regarding safety.

Here's where I get my last year model Bell Moto 8's for $150-$170. :thumb:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/search/bell_helmets

:thumb: I guess my Dad is old fashioned and if the helmet aint cracked in half, then it's fine for him. :bonk:
What's the reason you like Bell Moto-8's for?

James

Staff member
:thumb: I guess my Dad is old fashioned and if the helmet aint cracked in half, then it's fine for him. :bonk:
What's the reason you like Bell Moto-8's for?
They're the suckiest helmets out there, as in ventilation. :P Plus they're also pretty light and offer a bunch of sizes. Speaking of sizes, that's the other thing you have to watch for, a lot of people buy the wrong size helmet (to big). Fit is very important, if it's to big it can't do it's job right. The rule of thumb is that when you grab the chin bar and move it side-to-side, your head should move with it (no slop). It should be tight enough that you actually have to pull the helmet on.

Oh and a Bell helmet is...well a Bell helmet, great company. :thumb:

Note* All Moto 8's also come with a REAL helmet bag (zippered, padded, goggle pocket), extra matching visor, another size of check pads (for better fit), and extra visor screws.

They're the suckiest helmets out there, as in ventilation. :P Plus they're also pretty light and offer a bunch of sizes. Speaking of sizes, that's the other thing you have to watch for, a lot of people buy the wrong size helmet (to big). Fit is very important, if it's to big it can't do it's job right. The rule of thumb is that when you grab the chin bar and move it side-to-side, your head should move with it (no slop). It should be tight enough that you actually have to pull the helmet on.

Oh and a Bell helmet is...well a Bell helmet, great company. :thumb:

Note* All Moto 8's also come with a REAL helmet bag (zippered, padded, goggle pocket), extra matching visor, another size of check pads (for better fit), and extra visor screws.

I think I've got my size pretty much down. I'm a size Small, but after awhile, it seems that my helmet gets a little looser. I guess when you get a new helmet it should fit a little tighter until you break the foam in? I think XS would be too tight though, although I've never tried it. Do the Bell Moto-8's run pretty much true to size?

When I think of Bell helmets, I think of all my bicycle helmets when I was younger. :smirk: I didn't expect them to be a motocross helmet company!

Oooooo. Extras! I like that. :banana:

James

Staff member
I think I've got my size pretty much down. I'm a size Small, but after awhile, it seems that my helmet gets a little looser. I guess when you get a new helmet it should fit a little tighter until you break the foam in? I think XS would be too tight though, although I've never tried it. Do the Bell Moto-8's run pretty much true to size?
I've heard that they run a tad small, probably because everyone always gets a size to big so they're just looking out for you. :lol: If I remember right the check pads are 25mm and 35mm, pick whichever fits the best.

I wear the Small, I've had a XSmall but my head didn't fit right. Oh and yes helmets are like boots, they form to your body. Which is why it's always a great idea to never loan somebody your helmet.

Oooooo. Extras! I like that. :banana:
I used to have a picture with everything laid out, but I can't find it right now. :bonk:

I've heard that they run a tad small, probably because everyone always gets a size to big so they're just looking out for you. :lol: If I remember right the check pads are 25mm and 35mm, pick whichever fits the best.

I wear the Small, I've had a XSmall but my head didn't fit right. Oh and yes helmets are like boots, they form to your body. Which is why it's always a great idea to never loan somebody your helmet.

:lol: great! So, I think a small would be good then. I will keep the Moto-8 in mind. I have no idea when I'll be getting a new helmet though. I'm going to pay that neuro-chick to say that I can ride. :smirk:

I used to have a picture with everything laid out, but I can't find it right now. :bonk:

Damnit James! :foul:

:devil:

I have had my HJC now for a couple of years, probably more than that. Still fits tight and never has it hit the ground. What are you all saying here? I need to replace it just because it is old or is it still good?

I have had my HJC now for a couple of years, probably more than that. Still fits tight and never has it hit the ground. What are you all saying here? I need to replace it just because it is old or is it still good?

I wouldn't think you need to replace it. But nothing is more refreshing than new riding gear. :prof:

James

Staff member
No but if you want to get technical, helmets do have a "shelf-life".