Hello from Washington!!

One word, "momentum".

If you can keep your momentum up in corners (via proper technique), the size of the engine isn't that important. One reason 450f's are popular, especially with beginners as that they'll take a corner pretty slow and then use the 450's power to get over the jump. Instead of railing the corner to keep your speed (momentum) up, so that you can clear the next jump.

However due to your weight you're an exception, I would probably get a 450f. :P

:lol: My 125lbs body can't handle a 450f, so don't plan on seeing me on one anytime soon. :facepalm:
Your only 125lbs :shocked:
Dont worry about all of that feathering the clutch stuff until you are confident on your bike, just learn to ride it first :thumb: If you are dong track and trail for 2t id say YZ250 for 4t you have to use an MX bike, but its your choice :thumb:

BTW welcome to the forum :banana:
I agree, the yamaha doesn't still work on 2 stroke engineering but they devolped a great bike in 2006 and still produces it. You will love the SSS stock suspension still stock equipt on the YZ series, it is to die for.
Lmao, you guys are my kind of people. Ahaha I know that wasn't a fat joke James. I'm just messing with you. Lol I like saying that to people. Ahaha I'm not fat, but I'm not solid muscle either. I'm just big. Well I certainly don't want to be lazy on a dirt bike. Haha I want to develope technique and skill. The reason I was thinking a 450 is because I'm sure at some point I'd get onto an MX track. And I want a bike with enough power to get me over all the jumps no matter the distabce, seeing as I'm bigger and all. So I don't think a 250f will have enough power for that. Or a 250 smoker. Do they? I know technique will be involved no matter which 250 I choose. Like feathering the clutch, and shifting properly and all that. But I've heard people saying you have to ride a 250f harder to keep the revshigher so you can maintain speed..........
You probably could use a 450 bike as long as you don't get overly excited and try to do more than you can handle :thumb: Thats the main thing to remember. When I have my 250 fo stroke under a heavy load it has to chug a little, but it was closer to 300 at the time. (I don't weigh 300 btw :lol:) Personally I would reccomend a 450 4 stroke just because thats what I do good on and I love the power devilery. As far as you go I couldn't help :noidea: Everyone has their own prefrences so if you can take a test ride on a friends bike then all the better :thumb:

Hahaha this place is so much cooler then TT. Lol, I love it here. I would like a 450. But I don't want to get lazy on it just because it has the power to do anything I want it to. So, that being said, I may just end up getting a 250 smoker. Since they race in the same division as the 450f's. And they're easier to maintain. And cheaper. So I appreciate all your guys help. And take care riding. :ride:

:thumb: Thanks, don't forget to tell your (riding) friends about us. :ride:

Actually 250f's and 250's are in the same class, amateur ranks only though. Open class is the only CC based class that 450f's can run in.:thumb:

we have 2 450 classes on the CRA circuit

James

Staff member
we have 2 450 classes on the CRA circuit
The AMA (national sanctioning body) doesn't have any 450f MX classes besides the Open ones. Regional sanctioning bodies (and tracks) can add their own classes if they so wish, CRA is regional.

Whats your budget BTW?

A ktm 250xc or300xc would make a awesome woods/mx bike for washington...

My budget is about $2500-$3000. The KTM's look fucking sweet!!! Yes I had to drop the "F" bomb. Haha sorry. Anyways, I'm kind of thinking about dropping weight to ride a 250f. Lol, I could afford to drop some weight anyways. But we won't get onto that. :lol: Smokers do intimidate me a little. The 400 2t my grandfather build me was plagued with problems, and they kind of stuck with me. A 250f seems more......I suppose you could said "laid back". I want something that will have enough power to ride trails and MX tracks. But excess power isn't really a factor to me. Such as the 450f. Everyone says "more power then you'll ever need". And it seems true enough. And I'm rambling. Lol, sorry.

My budget is about $2500-$3000. The KTM's look fucking sweet!!! Yes I had to drop the "F" bomb. Haha sorry. Anyways, I'm kind of thinking about dropping weight to ride a 250f. Lol, I could afford to drop some weight anyways. But we won't get onto that. :lol: Smokers do intimidate me a little. The 400 2t my grandfather build me was plagued with problems, and they kind of stuck with me. A 250f seems more......I suppose you could said "laid back". I want something that will have enough power to ride trails and MX tracks. But excess power isn't really a factor to me. Such as the 450f. Everyone says "more power then you'll ever need". And it seems true enough. And I'm rambling. Lol, sorry.
A 400 2t? whats that, like a 40y/o bike?:lol:

you can pic up a ktm 2 stroke similar to mine in your stated budget, i would focus on MXC models. Even my 200 has considerably more bottom end than a 250f.

you can pic up a ktm 2 stroke similar to mine in your stated budget, i would focus on MXC models. Even my 200 has considerably more bottom end than a 250f.[/QUOTE]

Lol all I know is he built the bike and said it was a 400. But then again, he is old and may very well be senile.:smirk: yeah fuck it. Hahah I'm going with a smoker. I'm tired of deliberating. I've seen a few KTM's on craigslist. What are their MXC models best used for? Also, which models are their MXC ones?

James

Staff member
Lol all I know is he built the bike and said it was a 400. But then again, he is old and may very well be senile.:smirk: yeah fuck it. Hahah I'm going with a smoker. I'm tired of deliberating. I've seen a few KTM's on craigslist. What are their MXC models best used for? Also, which models are their MXC ones?
You may get more replies if you create a thread in the What Bike Should I Get section (link below), not everyone reads the newbie threads. :thumb:
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/for...-dirt-bike-discussion/what-bike-should-i-get/