Height issue...

James

Staff member
Oh ok, so 2 stroke maintenance is cheaper but you have to replace parts more often right?
Yes 2 Stroke top ends are cheaper and yes they need to be replaced faster then 4 strokes. The cost debate between 4 & 2 strokes is one of the oldest out there.

A cheaper alternative to the expensive (4 stroke) motorcycle only oil is the Rotella T, a lot of people (me included) have used it with great success. Belray is $11 a quart and the Rotella is $3, not a hard choice. :lol:
Hey what about the poor little Queen ?.. And Suzan Boil ?.. Aparently Boil's popular in the States..
:lol: Define "popular".

Oh and the Queen :rolleyes:, sorry this is America we don't have royalty (thank God). :P

Yes 2 Stroke top ends are cheaper and yes they need to be replaced faster then 4 strokes. The cost debate between 4 & 2 strokes is one of the oldest out there. :P

yep, but all in all, a used 125 will most likely cost less to repair/maintain that a used 250f, i mean, drive, tires, bearings are all the same, but once you do a top end, the 125 will be under $150 and the 250f will be over 500, assuming you replace the valves, piston,cam chain.... Rotella is great, nice and cheap, just like the lucas pre mix i use for $6 a quart vs $18 a quart for the name brand. Plus, it appears that 125's are dirt cheap in the UK, especially compared to 250f's! Also, they are super easy to work on... I find changing a top end on a 2 stroke easier than changing a dual rim lock tire lol..

Yes 2 Stroke top ends are cheaper and yes they need to be replaced faster then 4 strokes. The cost debate between 4 & 2 strokes is one of the oldest out there.

A cheaper alternative to the expensive (4 stroke) motorcycle only oil is the Rotella T, a lot of people (me included) have used it with great success. Belray is $11 a quart and the Rotella is $3, not a hard choice. :lol:

:lol: Define "popular".

Oh and the Queen :rolleyes:, sorry this is America we don't have royalty (thank God). :P

Haha, lots of sold albums, you buy one ? :smirk:
:lol: don't get me wrong, i don't like em..:moon:
Oh, by the way of maintenance, can anyone tell me if a KTM would cost more to maintain than the Japanese bikes ?

yep, but all in all, a used 125 will most likely cost less to repair/maintain that a used 250f, i mean, drive, tires, bearings are all the same, but once you do a top end, the 125 will be under $150 and the 250f will be over 500, assuming you replace the valves, piston,cam chain.... Rotella is great, nice and cheap, just like the lucas pre mix i use for $6 a quart vs $18 a quart for the name brand. Plus, it appears that 125's are dirt cheap in the UK, especially compared to 250f's! Also, they are super easy to work on... I find changing a top end on a 2 stroke easier than changing a dual rim lock tire lol..

Buying a used 4 is scary too. If it eats out on you from the PO's abuse(aka a ticking time bomb) you could pay over a grand to fix it easy if the valves get messed up too. Also, if the engine grenades in a 4t(unless it's a honda, because they have a separate crank/tranny) any metal shards in the crank case will go into your tranny also. So if your bike eats a valve you can end up with a totally destroyed engine.

Haha, lots of sold albums, you buy one ? :smirk:
:lol: don't get me wrong, i don't like em..:moon:
Oh, by the way of maintenance, can anyone tell me if a KTM would cost more to maintain than the Japanese bikes ?

Jos will tell you it shouldn't cost anymore than up front purchase price.

Buying a used 4 is scary too. If it eats out on you from the PO's abuse(aka a ticking time bomb) you could pay over a grand to fix it easy if the valves get messed up too. Also, if the engine grenades in a 4t(unless it's a honda, because they have a separate crank/tranny) any metal shards in the crank case will go into your tranny also. So if your bike eats a valve you can end up with a totally destroyed engine.

Jos will tell you it shouldn't cost anymore than up front purchase price.
OEM ktm is more in the united states, not sure about UK...

So what kind of riding are you going to be doing most? track? trails? tight woods? yes agree on the 250 or 125 2-stroke

the yamalink (dunno about the other link designs) will lower a bike's CG which is really handy in tight woods for handling. make sure you get the right springs for your weight too. if you are really aggressive you can get away with a bit stiffer springs (I think the yzf/wrs are sprung for 160-170# rider stock). Do NOT soften the sag so your weight lowers the bike so you can touch better--you'll only get REALLY ANNOYINGLY BOINKED AROUND.

But as far as lowering etc you need to know what kind of riding you do, terrain, speed, etc. not being able to get a solid foot or toe down is not that big an issue on the track or the fast desert riding. It's the really rough terrain where it will bite you--if you can't get a solid foot down--tho some people are trick enough to hop off to one side and manage--you will be dumping your bike WAY more than need be, smashing and breaking things to boot. Think of it this way, a couple hundred dollar link can save you from smashed radiators, broken cases, etc.

Even though I have a link on now, before I learned to get some part of my body under the bike to save the radiators when I flop over, ha! still do it:ride: