WV Hatfield Mccoy ride, April 5th-9th 2012

Coming to the ride?

• Total voters
"April showers bring May flowers!"

I don't want to crap on your parade, but the mountains of WV are very unpredictable this early in April. It can snow. A lot! It most certainly will be very cold. You may not know what you are getting into here. I have skied Snowshoe in WV at the end of March! These mountains and hills develop their own weather systems that are very different from our flat-lander weather, particularly during this time of year.

If you go, It WILL be wet and muddy...and cold...COLD! (did I say cold?) and that's an understatement. Streams will be high and fast. The forest service will not have cleared winter blow-downs. Plan for mud and water getting in every orifice of your bike, gear, and body. That's not a bad thing when it's 70F outside.

You better have waterproof gear that is warm. (Over-the-boot pants or boot gaitors, warm waterproof gloves, definitely a waterproof jacket and some good undies!) Gore-Tex is your best buddy in this area, at this time of the year. You should figure on 50F highs during a good sunny day. If overcast, 35F - 50F. You will have to layer wisely to be comfortable. You won't get away with a hoodie and a sweatshirt! No way! Hypothermia is a real concern for those not prepared.

If you wait till the earth travels another 30 or so days and tilts a bit more toward the sun in our hemisphere, then that would be a nice trip. As you have it planned now in early April, it's for hardcore dudes! :shocked:

Count me out on this one! I know better!

Late May, early June. Why do I suggest? I know!

You serious? :foul: I don't wanna drive to WV to get shatted on by the weather man..

Buck makes sense.

I think the ride should be moved or no one will want to go. Riding in 40 degree and below weather = No fun. especially if it's muddy or rainy.

James

Staff member
Even around here April is debatable, depending on the day it can still be really cold. :noidea: I personally would say closer to end of May/June.

Even around here April is debatable, depending on the day it can still be really cold. :noidea: I personally would say closer to end of May/June.

In april ive already had rides up north in mid michigan and theres not that much mud, even in mid march its not bad

Huntington, WV Average snowfall
jan:8.6
Feb:7.3
March:4.5
April:0.6
May:T
June:T
July:0.0
Aug: T
Sept: 0.0
Oct:0.1
Nov:1.3