WV Hatfield Mccoy ride, April 5th-9th 2012

Coming to the ride?

• Total voters
ok guys, we will be able to ride indian ridge, pinncale creek, outlaw trails, and the new Pocahontas trail system thats opening this fall

What happened to rock house?

Shoot. $175 for a bike for one day? I dunno know about that, yall. I might have to bring an ATV or a friend who can loan me a bike. I cant afford that!

It's probably because of insurance and the "dumbass broke my equipment and i need enough money to fix it" risk.

no 199 anymore unless we ride to rockhouse, but still some techical singletrack, but alot of it will be easy going trails

:shocked: Wait no track? Pffft count me out. :P

Make sure there are no rocks around...you know big ones you can see...directly in front of you that tend to draw you towards them like a magnet and cause you to crash...:devil:

Expect my decision on April 1st.....:prof:...:thumb:

PS. will there be a lot of banjo music! :shocked:

"April showers bring May flowers!"

I don't want to crap on your parade, but the mountains of WV are very unpredictable this early in April. It can snow. A lot! It most certainly will be very cold. You may not know what you are getting into here. I have skied Snowshoe in WV at the end of March! These mountains and hills develop their own weather systems that are very different from our flat-lander weather, particularly during this time of year.

If you go, It WILL be wet and muddy...and cold...COLD! (did I say cold?) and that's an understatement. Streams will be high and fast. The forest service will not have cleared winter blow-downs. Plan for mud and water getting in every orifice of your bike, gear, and body. That's not a bad thing when it's 70F outside.

You better have waterproof gear that is warm. (Over-the-boot pants or boot gaitors, warm waterproof gloves, definitely a waterproof jacket and some good undies!) Gore-Tex is your best buddy in this area, at this time of the year. You should figure on 50F highs during a good sunny day. If overcast, 35F - 50F. You will have to layer wisely to be comfortable. You won't get away with a hoodie and a sweatshirt! No way! Hypothermia is a real concern for those not prepared.

If you wait till the earth travels another 30 or so days and tilts a bit more toward the sun in our hemisphere, then that would be a nice trip. As you have it planned now in early April, it's for hardcore dudes! :shocked:

Count me out on this one! I know better!

Late May, early June. Why do I suggest? I know!