Gearbox Oil

Now the question is what type of ATF. Old school Type F, one of the Dexron's (II, III, IV,V), Mercon, or few others that are specified for European or Japanese vehicles?

It's my understanding that the old school Type F is best, but I really don't know.

Now the question is what type of ATF. Old school Type F, one of the Dexron's (II, III, IV,V), Mercon, or few others that are specified for European or Japanese vehicles?

It's my understanding that the old school Type F is best, but I really don't know.
I believe you are correct, Type F is what i've always thought they meant by "atf". "atf" Generally means "Type F". (In the automotive world anyways) ..Otherwise they would say Dex/merc.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I use type F. Zero facts backing my choice besides price. :smirk:

I think whatever fluid you put in a 2T transmission should not keep you up at night. You also shouldn't be thinking about your fluid while you ride. It should not cross your mind.
If you are, you should change to something that puts your mind at ease. Something you TRUST.
Riding is for the enjoyment of it, and not the contemplation of eminent destruction. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I use type F. Zero facts backing my choice besides price. :smirk:

I think whatever fluid you put in a 2T transmission should not keep you up at night. You also shouldn't be thinking about your fluid while you ride. It should not cross your mind.
If you are, you should change to something that puts your mind at ease. Something you TRUST.
Riding is for the enjoyment of it, and not the contemplation of eminent destruction. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Which is why we don't ride 250f's? :devil:

Type F FTMFW!

:wink:
IMAG3188.jpg

Wow, didn't even notice the reflection of my lower fork leg in the fluid :shocked: :rocker: