Gearbox Oil

Begin Chant... "ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF! ATF!"

So I take it you're on the ATF side. :smirk:

Okay, here's the deal... I keep hearing that ATF is FUGGIN AWESOME BRAH. And then I hear that it's not good on the gears but great for the clutch.

What is your take on this?

SRAD97750

Staff member
An automatic transmission in a car uses similar components as a dirtbike transmission.
Being that my bikes are "constant mesh" style gears, the mating faces of the gears never change. There is little to no wear due to this design. ATF more than covers this duty.
Being that automatic transmissions deal with clutches (shear pressure on oil) and high heat (thermal breakdown), I am confident that it will perform in a dirtbike application. Automatic Transmissions go hundreds and hundreds of hours between changes. We want to go 10 hrs... maybe...

Now that FACT is out of the way, let's talk opinion.
I have used it in all my 2T transmissions. Love the red color, gives you a heads up on any leaks.
The clutch feel is DIFFERENT and not to everyone's liking. I like it. Never had the clutch "fade" using ATF.
My 2 cents is that, we (dirtbikers) change our oils regularily and frequently. I feel this avoids any issues that could come up from using one type over another. Use what you like...

An automatic transmission in a car uses similar components as a dirtbike transmission.
Being that my bikes are "constant mesh" style gears, the mating faces of the gears never change. There is little to no wear due to this design. ATF more than covers this duty.
Being that automatic transmissions deal with clutches (shear pressure on oil) and high heat (thermal breakdown), I am confident that it will perform in a dirtbike application. Automatic Transmissions go hundreds and hundreds of hours between changes. We want to go 10 hrs... maybe...

I have used it in all my 2T transmissions. Love the red color, gives you a heads up on any leaks.
The clutch feel is DIFFERENT and not to everyone's liking. I like it. Never had the clutch "fade" using ATF.
My 2 cents is that, we (dirtbikers) change our oils regularily and frequently. I feel this avoids any issues that could come up from using one type over another. Use what you like...
Same, Alot of people don't like the feel of ATF. And its so different than oil, I think it scares most. I like the feel of ATF better.

Bolded part ftw (even though I do not like atf)

Emily find out what Kawasaki says your supposed to run and run that oil. When I run out of the stuff I had for my Suzuki thats what Im going to do. Per Mihylos suggestion I started running all the oils that were reccommended in my service manual. I never had a problem with the Zuki after that. So now Im going to do the same thing with the Honda.

Oddly enough the cost for the Honda recommended oils is at or near the same as what I was spending for the other name brand stuff. And the reviews are similarly the same. So you cannot go wrong running what the manufacture says to run.

Emily find out what Kawasaki says your supposed to run and run that oil. When I run out of the stuff I had for my Suzuki thats what Im going to do. Per Mihylos suggestion I started running all the oils that were reccommended in my service manual. I never had a problem with the Zuki after that. So now Im going to do the same thing with the Honda.

Oddly enough the cost for the Honda recommended oils is at or near the same as what I was spending for the other name brand stuff. And the reviews are similarly the same. So you cannot go wrong running what the manufacture says to run.
This is what I do as well. I do not see the benefit of running different oils, etc other than what the manufacturer recommends. Even if other types are a couple bucks less I don't think it is worth it.

a car's auto transmission is of the same basic principal-clutch plates that bind against each other. If a car can go over 100K and still work good then why not a MC with oil changes a couple of times a year? Ive changed to auto trans Synth oil in my 2st. Shifts better, finds neutral easier and no slip. Dont believe all the hype on oils. They are all basically the same with different additives.