Other four stroke wont start top end rebuild

1984 Honda xl200r. Installed new cylinder, piston and rings. New fuel lines and carb. New ignition coil/spark plug wire. Valves adjusted correctly and installation sequence followed by clymer manual for third time now. Wont start, it was trying to advanced and kicking back. Now only backfres once in a while. I've noticed on the compression stroke at TDC (when the spark should spark) the pulse rotor is 180 degrees away from the pulse generator. This is why I have been back into the top to see if I messed up the sequence of installation but it all checks out as far as I can see (if that is a problem maybe thats normal the marks between rotor and generator not lining up at time of spark...im not sure and manual says thats correct since you cant put the rotor on wrong with the locating dowel and all) I need help....

I put the new carb on to eliminate fuel delivery, after suspecting that with the old carb since i broke it down and the after putting it back in the float was sticking sticking and the slow jet became clogged. The spark is blue, I put the new coil/spark plug wire on to check that of the list. Put a bit of gas in cyclinder still just a backfire after a few kicks. Before it lost compression/burnt rings up last summer it burnt the electroid out of a spark plug, i was in middle of nowwhere so i threw a new plug in and rode as far as I could grab before it cut off again. This time spark plug wasnt burnt up Im assuming it was the rings at that point since compression dropoed to 90 and they were gone when I ripped it apart. Got any better ways to check carb?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Just to clarify,
When the cam marks line up perfectly, the piston is absolutely at top dead center?
Is there more than one marking on the Cam?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Theres a mark on cam sprocket that lines with head cover, pulse rotor is fixed with locating dowel, havent visualized piston at tdc been trusting marks on altenator rotor which hasnt been removed since its been running. Ive tried pushing starting it.