First Dirt Bike Tire Change

First tire change is tough, it gets easier.
What I have found-
I don't have a tire changing tool, I use an old tire for a base.
Making sure the bead on the opposite side of the irons is in the recess of the rim, I stand on it.
Good quality irons, I like using three irons, seat all three irons, then start working your way around.
Tires warmed up in the hot sun are much easier to work with.
Lube, lube, lube, soap, windex, whatever, keep reapplying when it's hot.
Partially inflating the tube when it's inside the tire helps prevent pinches.
A bead buddy really helps.
Did I mention lots of lube?
The more times you do it, the easier it gets.

First tire change is tough, it gets easier.
What I have found-
I don't have a tire changing tool, I use an old tire for a base.
Making sure the bead on the opposite side of the irons is in the recess of the rim, I stand on it.
Good quality irons, I like using three irons, seat all three irons, then start working your way around.
Tires warmed up in the hot sun are much easier to work with.
Lube, lube, lube, soap, windex, whatever, keep reapplying when it's hot.
Partially inflating the tube when it's inside the tire helps prevent pinches.
A bead buddy really helps.
Did I mention lots of lube?
The more times you do it, the easier it gets.

:shocked::banana::naughty:

Dudethatsgay.jpg

I have been using dish soap for 30+ years on I could not tell you how many tires. I have never had an issue. I put a really light bead on the tire to help pop the bead when inflating.

That was a bad ass tube you took out of there.

on 1) Me too...no bad experiences
on 2) I say, just cotterize the ends shut and re-use it...:smirk: Puttin it back in shoud be easier, a little more flexible...:smirk: ..:P

I think of myself as fast as well.

Why not let everybody set up, tools and stands
and products they use ready, Go! A great head to head
contest of tire changing skill will displayed.

This winter a DBA ride would have to include this, and
no I have never used a machine either, I am far to cheap
to part with the money.

Oh and Travace, I was worked all night and
then attempted to change a tire out while I was watching my kids.

I installed a 16 inch tire iron too, I was able to let the air out
grab it with channel locks, fill with air and rode that tire as normal
it's full life.
IMGP0773.jpg

IMGP0774.jpg

it ain't rocket science.

It does get easier the more you change them and some tires are just a lot harder in general. A quality set of spoons will have you changing tires in ten minutes from start to finish, trust me it's possible by mere mortals. I've done it track side a few times. Not fun, but still doable.

The reason you do not use soap is:
Soap = It reacts to water once dried, possible to slip tire to rim ratio is high when out riding in creeks or puddles.
Wd-40 = It dries after and water will not make it reactivate.
Think? If you run low pressure, there is a chance of that happening.
I got it from a guy that is 64 years old, and has raced Baja for years, even before the 500 or 1000 ever was invented. So if any of you can throw him off his throne, have at it. I always listen to the years of wisdom. :P

Soap = It reacts to water once dried, possible to slip tire to rim ratio is high when out riding in creeks or puddles.
I got it from a guy that is 64 years old, and has raced Baja for years, even before the 500 or 1000 ever was invented. So if any of you can throw him off his throne, have at it. I always listen to the years of wisdom. :P

Makes sense however the chances of "ME" hitting any water is slim and has been since our RS canyon challenge (:smirk:) many years ago...

Yeah I will not try and knock him from his throne since he has more desert time then me. I don't see much water in the desert, so i have not had an issue with the soap getting wet and causing issues...:thumb: