First Dirt Bike Tire Change

ok i guess i needed a work out and thanks to the asshole previous owner of my bike i got one.

i let all the air out of the tube. loosened the rim lock. put the rim spoke side down. Pushed on the tire to break the bead. put the tire iron in and started to try and get leverage and WTF is this... the tire iron would not budge and felt like it was gonna snap in half. So i check the internet and DBA chat for advice. all stuff i pretty much already know. I try hitting the tire with a hammer as i think maybe the bead is not broke yet. Nope it is.... i do much investigation on the tire and notice that right where the rim lock is it feels hard as a rock. Im having my son hold a screw driver to let the air out as i jump on the tire thinking well maybe not all the air is out.

NOTHING is WORKING.... finally with some coazing from DBA chat i decide fuck it im just gonna cut this tire off as its done anyway. so cutting away i go. I only had to cut the tire about half way before that gave enough so that tire irons had enough leverage to get the tire off.
2efrk8o.jpg

So tire is off and this is what i notice....
abji1l.jpg

WTF it is completely cut and its holding its shape with no air in it.
Notice how thick this tube is....
ehlkiu.jpg

then i remember i could hear something moving around in my tire when i spun it so i look into the tire first for dirt or rocks or something and there is nothing... so i shake the tube and i hear what sounds like marbles in there... so i poor them into my hand...
3358jg5.jpg

So DBA WTF kind of tube was this? and i dont care how good on flats they are im NEVER putting that SOAB in to my tire.
Thanks for the work out asshole previous owner.

That looks like a "HEAVEY DUTY" Tube with dried up slime in it. Get out the WD-40 and put it on the bead of the new tire It will fly right on the rim and dry. Soap is a no-no. Give me a call if you have any ???

That looks like a "HEAVEY DUTY" Tube with dried up slime in it. Get out the WD-40 and put it on the bead of the new tire It will fly right on the rim and dry. Soap is a no-no. Give me a call if you have any ???

that tube is cut in half.. i dont think its gonna work :P I dont think i want to put one of those in anyway. Seriously it was about to bend my rim or snap the tire iron if i was to try any harder then i was.

why is soap a no no tho ? someone in chat told me to use soap.

I have been using dish soap for 30+ years on I could not tell you how many tires. I have never had an issue. I put a really light bead on the tire to help pop the bead when inflating.

That was a bad ass tube you took out of there.

i guess the whole reason why this angers me so fucking much is everything on paper sounds so easy. Ive changed 1000's of BMX tires yet this is giving me so much trouble. Even when i watched about 6 youtube vids and when i do the step they show my tire is NO WHERE near as easy as theirs. i seriously think that something is not right with my rim or the tire i got.

BTW finished getting the tire on and PINCH :mad:

One key to changing a tire, besides patients, is warm the tire up by sticking it out in the sun so it is all gooey and flexes more.

One key to changing a tire, besides patients, is warm the tire up by sticking it out in the sun so it is all gooey and flexes more.

thats prolly part of why in all those vids thier tires look like rubber bands when mine feels like plastic.

You could watch me change one. It only takes me about ten minutes.

It's all about the method, not strength. Well some strength is needed.

i guess the whole reason why this angers me so fucking much is everything on paper sounds so easy. Ive changed 1000's of BMX tires yet this is giving me so much trouble. Even when i watched about 6 youtube vids and when i do the step they show my tire is NO WHERE near as easy as theirs. i seriously think that something is not right with my rim or the tire i got.

BTW finished getting the tire on and PINCH :mad:

Been there done that. I hate pinches.:shocked: I have the tire changing stand, but mine did not come with that handy metal 3 foot cheater bar.