East meets West DBA Ride!

Would you be willing to travel to the middle of the Countryfor a DBA ride and when?

• Total voters
Ray and jer, if you two get jerbs we could make this happen..................................

:edit:
Actually, the only way i think this would be fesible is if someone can hook us up with a big ass SUV or van and a big (ish) trailer. Then we pick up hawk and james on the way or if we get some other people to go in on it

Dave chime in on this but what about the MOAB area? i know it looks a bit closer on the map but us west coasters have to go over the mountains :P

Ray and jer, if you two get jerbs we could make this happen..................................

:edit:
Actually, the only way i think this would be fesible is if someone can hook us up with a big ass SUV or van and a big (ish) trailer. Then we pick up hawk and james on the way or if we get some other people to go in on it
I gotta jerb, but it's another year before I get my license. Let's do it dude :thinking: make things happen

Can we add another poll to this to vote on a location? A neutral location is awesome. But a location that is suitable for most riders and skills would be nice too so those members with youngins can take their families.

Can we add another poll to this to vote on a location? A neutral location is awesome. But a location that is suitable for most riders and skills would be nice too so those members with youngins can take their families.

Would that mean you are going to be a daddy? :jawdrop::smirk:

Would that mean you are going to be a daddy? :jawdrop::smirk:

Hahaha NOPE! But being able to go shopping for a little PW50 would be fun. But the post was intended for those with young riders in the family. Plus dads out there could have an easier time getting approval from the wifey if they say the trip is a FAMILY vacation :smirk::wink:

squirrel.jpg
That's some funny shit! I had a retriever that you couldn't even put together the "sss" and the "q" of that word two rooms away and whispering it before he was on high alert and looking out the windows! Jesus it's early! Gotta meet my buds in an hour to go to the cabin! "C"....."offee!"

That's some funny shit! I had a retriever that you couldn't even put together the "sss" and the "q" of that word two rooms away and whispering it before he was on high alert and looking out the windows! Jesus it's early! Gotta meet my buds in an hour to go to the cabin! "C"....."offee!"
Well Shit the bed Buck. Hitting the cabin to do some food storage?

Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas. Those are the central states and about dead center from 08889 NJ and San Francisco and its almost familiar territory to Nedge possibly making this an international event.
I love to ride and have No problem doing 8 hrs on a bike, I have no problem pulling off the boots and helping kids ride either and often prefer the latter of the 2. One of the reasons why I enjoy the Eastcoast ride so much is because of the people I met. Dont get me wrong the riding is great, but I can ride at home. There isnt a week that goes by that my son doesnt ask about the East coast ride. There isn't a week that goes by that my son doesnt get a text from Shortshift asking how he's doing. Same goes for NH, JYD, Jmac and the list is growing. These are friends that we have made for the rest of my life and these kids will hopefully continue this ride long after we are gone....
Lets find a place with decent trails, hopefully a decent track ,a great place for the 5 yr olds and a great place for the 40yrolds. A place where we can hook up the RVs and pitch a tent and share the fun.

In the meantime I'm gonna put Jmac and Snowflake incharge of finding places that will accommodate everyone...... They arent choosing for us, just doing the leg work.
We also need more people. A group of 30ppl+ would be excellent. :thumb:

I'd be in if all the stars align. I could probably talk Rolls into going, which would help in the costs, but with 4 days of driving, it would have to be a 2 week vacation for me. So, keep planning, and I'll keep working on the new POS MH, in hopes of meeting, and riding with you all.:thumb:

I think it is a mistake to plan such a trip for a "central" location. Riders who plan to attend will, many are all talk and the book of excuses will come out when it is time to roll. To accomandate the talkers and pick a less desireable location makes little since to me.

What Epic riding areas are found in the suggested region(s) Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas? Sure the locals have places to ride, but would that same local rider take the time to travel a 1000 miles to ones favorite local spot? I know of many good spots to ride within a few hours of my home. Would I drive a 1000 miles to come ride here, No. Because there is no place to camp for a week and ride. Sure plenty of good places to ride for a day and even campout on a weekend. However, one would be riding many of the same trails, on day 2 and for sure, on day 3.

The Epic spots to ride are Epic because there is no MX track nearby. Areas with a few trails, less than 50 miles, many of which are Quad routes and a MX Track are not known as Epic spots, but Squid Pits. They sure beat having no place to ride.

I do not understand the desire to take unskilled riders? I think one should learn to ride before heading out on a multi-day adventure.

To me it is like hitting the National MX series before one has won a race in ones local MX series.

Nothing destroys a good riding area faster than having a beginner area near/in a campground. Campgrounds are for camping. Ride out quitely and stay away for the day. Having your kids doing loops thru the campgound all day, only gets us thrown out of another campground. If you can't ride, go to your local squid pit and learn to ride. Then plan an Epic adventure or join a group like this one.

I thought this forum was about Dirt Bike Addicts? I think Dirt Bike Addicts would have a spirit of adventure and seek out the best riding, when gathering with other Dirt Bike Addicts.

As a former Pro MX rider, my sights were set on getting as fast as I could. Riding the Florida winter MX series, the National MX Series and Supercross. I raced Mammoth Mtn., a must do event for an MX rider. I cannot imagine in my race days, driving a great distance to join guys on a forum, to ride a track. If your a racer, you should go race the best riders in your area, if your winning at the highest level, start hitting regional events and then hit the Nationals. If your looking to be the fastest rider on a forum, one has serious mental issues, sell your bike and check into a mental hospital today.

None of my comments are to bash MX, I love MX, its a great sport. Those of you that have a variety of good tracks in your area are very fortunate. I will tell you present MX riders that you do not know what your missing out on, camping and riding technical single track trails in the desert or mountains. I ride with a lot of former pro MX'ers. Getting together for a trail ride adventure is a lot of fun. Sad that some riders never give it a try. They ride a trail at the local squid pit track and "think" they tried trail riding. But they have no clue...

My experiance is leave the non riding family members and entry level riders at home. Nothing wrecks a great epic adventure ride more than having non riding family members in camp. This is multiplied by many factors if your spouse gives you "the look" when you return late. One or more days, you will need to plan to spend time with the non riding family members, just to keep the peace. When riding, your going to feel guilty thinking of your family "left" in camp. You will be looking for an excuse to cut the ride short. Riding unfamiliar terrain and not being focused on the trail ahead is not a good idea. The exception is those of you who have non riding partners who enjoy camping and are self motivated. If you and your partner are going to "miss" each other or feel the need to do things together on the trip, plan a seperate trip with them.

Rent cabins in the area or have the camp food catered. Nothing weeds out the talkers, faster than a deposit for the cabin or the caterer... Why jump thru all the hoops of the talkers who will not attend the ride. Having the food prepared for you on a multiple day ride allows one to focus on riding, prepping bike...no need for Ice runs, taking trips to the grocery store for the stuff your forgot...

Moab is a great destination. It is very scenic. Not much single track in the Moab area. The majority is 4wd drive roads. Easier access if you have a plated bike. Otherwise you will need to haul the bikes to various staging areas. White Wash is nearby and has a day of good trail riding. San Rafael Swell is a couple hours away? Not a lot of single track, mostly jeep roads, sand washes and the 5MOH.

I think a trip like this requires a minimum of six months lead time for a highly motivated group of riders. A year is better. Many need at least six months lead time to get time off work.

The time of year is important as well to have the best chance at Epic riding conditions.

If one plans a trip to Moab, it can get very (deadly) hot in the summer. Winter riding can be cold and flash flooding can occur. When rain is in the area you need to stay out of the canyons and washes. Also need to plan around the jeepers. They have a major gathering in April?

Spring can be great in the Mountains, but high water crossings, snow drifts and down trees are likely. Fall can be the best time of year if one is a local and you can take advantage of those perfect ride days. But rain and snow can ruin a planned trip in the Fall. I think July 15th-September 15th are the safe times to plan a high country trip.

Having ride leaders that are familiar with area trails helps. I think ten riders in a group is max.

Personally I love the adventure of exploring, new to me areas. I study maps of the area and go see what I can find. This does not work so well with less experianced riders, as no one knows whats ahead and things can get most challenging, fast. Never proceed down something you cannot ride back up. Turn around.

Pick the destination, then the dates, send in the deposit for the cabins, caterer or reserve the campground...

One option is to load the bikes/gear into a large rental truck. One or two riders drive the truck and the rest fly in and rent cars, if staying in cabins or rent RV's.