250F Clutch problems

I bought a YZ250F 2007, when I bought it the clutch wasn't releasing but when I took it home and drained the oil the clutch released but now won't engage. The guy said he replaced the clutch and had 3 hours on and then while riding it locked up. Any help?

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Cable adjustment is most likely the cause. There should be some play in the cable when the lever is not engaged. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Sounds similar to a bike my daughter bought off a guy, he said he replaced the clutch and then the clutch would not fully disengage, the cable could not be adjusted any more. Turns out the nut holding the basket had come off didn't do any damage either. Anyways I'd try to adjust the cable like DAN said but you may need to take the cover off and inspect the clutch components.

He said he also put new oil in it but when I took the cover off there was dirt inside, could that be a sign of anything or it just being dirty inside

He said he also put new oil in it but when I took the cover off there was dirt inside, could that be a sign of anything or it just being dirty inside

Was it dirt or clutch material? Does it have a burned smell? If the fluid looks dark then it's probably burned clutches.

The oil I drained looked clean but it was brand new but only half a quart in it, could that have cause it to lock? He drained the oil when it locked on him, then he only put half a quart in

usually if it is clutch material it catches in the pockets of the molding on the cover etc. like it was held there by the centrifugal force. I think I would take the clutch apart, look for the loose nut, see if you have some wear, and that takes a 15 dollar set of calipers (something every one needs to measure "everything") and the wear specs. if he used old springs you get all sort of problems if the old ones ended up sacking out at different rates, so measure them and make sure they are the same lengths.

When you say locked, what exactly locked?

usually if it is clutch material it catches in the pockets of the molding on the cover etc. like it was held there by the centrifugal force. I think I would take the clutch apart, look for the loose nut, see if you have some wear, and that takes a 15 dollar set of calipers (something every one needs to measure "everything") and the wear specs. if he used old springs you get all sort of problems if the old ones ended up sacking out at different rates, so measure them and make sure they are the same lengths.

When you say locked, what exactly locked?
The rear wheel locked on him while riding

I have been taking it a part, first time taking a part a clutch or anything in a motor really. Just wanting to make sure I remember how everything goes back In