250F Clutch problems

Don't try to remove the basket without a torque gun or proper tools to lock it up as you will likely damage the basket! Do you have a friend who would have the tools to do it? If yes ask him to help!

What could be wrong with the clutch since the springs and everything look fine?

Anything.....I would work the lever and inspect the movement of the pressure plate and if the plates are releasing or not, then probably take it apart and inspect the springs,pressure plate, push rod, fibers and drive plates. look at the basket for notching.

Anything.....I would work the lever and inspect the movement of the pressure plate and if the plates are releasing or not, then probably take it apart and inspect the springs,pressure plate, push rod, fibers and drive plates. look at the basket for notching.
Now there's no clutch at all. All I did was take the springs out.

SRAD97750

Staff member
maxresdefault.jpg
I bought a YZ250F 2007, when I bought it the clutch wasn't releasing but when I took it home and drained the oil the clutch released but now won't engage. The guy said he replaced the clutch and had 3 hours on and then while riding it locked up. Any help?
I just don't understand it being locked up then draining the oil and it release but won't catch now
The clutch still moves when I pull in the lever, could it still be the cable?
When the clutch wouldn't disengage it when info netural and rolled
Now there's no clutch at all. All I did was take the springs out.

I don't understand. What is actually wrong?? It will not connect the transmission to the crankshaft? OR will it not disconnect the transmission from the crankshaft?
Does the clutch lever move the pushrod to expand the clutch pack? Does the kick starter turn the motor over normally? Will the engine start in neutral?

He said he also put new oil in it but when I took the cover off there was dirt inside, could that be a sign of anything or it just being dirty inside
I took both off, on clutch side there was little bit of a black substance, not really for sure what it was.
Totally normal for a motor that used conventional oil. Leaves a black deposit on everything.

The rear wheel locked on him while riding
No knocking noises or anything
The wheel turns
The wheel locked on him while riding? So he pushed it with a locked wheel back to the truck? Did the engine die when it locked the rear wheel?
The wheel turns in neutral now?

Are springs suppose to look like this?View attachment 28355
Exactly like that.

Should I use a torque wrench to undo the bolt?
Never use a torque wrench for loosening bolts unless you are checking the torque in that direction. It can damage the calibration.
What could be wrong with the clutch since the springs and everything look fine?
I don't think the clutch is to blame. Adjustment is more likely. If the bike isn't running, there is very little chance of you overcoming the clutch drag even with a properly adjusted clutch pulled all the way in. Completely normal.
Get back to me with some specifics and I can point you in the right direction.-BIG DAN:thumb:

It goes into neutral, he o
View attachment 28358

I don't understand. What is actually wrong?? It will not connect the transmission to the crankshaft? OR will it not disconnect the transmission from the crankshaft?
Does the clutch lever move the pushrod to expand the clutch pack? Does the kick starter turn the motor over normally? Will the engine start in neutral?

Totally normal for a motor that used conventional oil. Leaves a black deposit on everything.

The wheel locked on him while riding? So he pushed it with a locked wheel back to the truck? Did the engine die when it locked the rear wheel?
The wheel turns in neutral now?

Exactly like that.

Never use a torque wrench for loosening bolts unless you are checking the torque in that direction. It can damage the calibration.

I don't think the clutch is to blame. Adjustment is more likely. If the bike isn't running, there is very little chance of you overcoming the clutch drag even with a properly adjusted clutch pulled all the way in. Completely normal.
Get back to me with some specifics and I can point you in the right direction.-BIG DAN:thumb:
It goes into neutral, it starts. When I bought it the clutch wasn't releasing, when I took it home and drained the oil it wouldn't go into gear. When I took the cover off the clutch and the springs out and back in now there's no movement in the clutch what so ever. When I drained the oil there was movement but when I took the springs out and back in, no movement now and no pressure

Have a look at your clutch actuator arm, push rod and push rod bearing for bad wear on its clutch end side and inspect the actuator arm itself for wear or damage at the bottom of the pivot arm, all mag side!
You will need the basket off to check the rod and bearing!

Last edited: