2 Stroke clutch help

posted this on the welcome tab thouht id repost here by advice from redordead89:

hey everyone, im currently riding on a 2005 honda cr85r i was looking for a forum that would allow me to talk to other riders and discuss shit..i just broke my clutch lever earlier and i want to replace it with a sick one, any suggestions? also i was curious i just got my bike back from a really good shop (theyve been working on bikes and racing for years...) and i had them readjust the clutch lever and cable but i wasnt able to feel comfortable riding where they set it..cuz i have smallish hands, inorder to fully engage the clutch with the clearance of my fingers, i had to move my hand to the end of the grip and use like the last two inches of the lever instead of like right above it, and i feel iffy to ride like that cuz my hand isnt grasping the handgrip or even centered...also after the bike is hot and i pulled the clutch in while in 1st the bike would still move forward slowly, is that normal? any tips suggestions would be awesome thank..

Jessie, sometimes it's as simple as an adjustment on the cable. Clutch creep is not at all uncommon. It's been a while since I worked on an 85 but, I ran ATF, type F in the tranny and that worked flawlessly. :thumb:
yea when i took it to the shop they changed the tranny fluid in it as well, did a full tune up, idk what kind of oil they used..it runs great for the most part, its just that lever..when i took it in they sorta laughed at me cuz i had adjusted it on my own and they said i had tightened it all the way or sumthing and there needed to be a 1/4in free play for when it gets hot and things expand or sumthing like that..but it seemed to ride fine with me..this meaning it didnt move or creep when pulled in..i only really use the clutch when i up shift and when i have to stop fast..(pretty sure anyway..then again i learned to ride on my own so...any bad habits or mistakes i may be making i probly am not aware of..)

Small hands can be difficult to find a good lever with the correct throw. Did you replace with a stock lever? There are different pull actions on bikes and a one size fits most or all is always talked about in the YZ 2T forum. It can be a clutch adjustment, or the throw/pull that your new lever is doing to give you clutch drag. It can also be notching in the basket. Suggest replacing lever/perch with what you had before, adjustin cable and see if that does you better.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/664
Checkout ASR unbreakable levers, they're great looking, very high quality and adjustable for smaller hands:thumb:
those do look nice...particularily the short ones..i seen on a youtube vid of sum dude that had these kool ones that can bend in like every direction..i wonder if these are it..i think my problem is i gotta find a way to adjust the cable or sumthing so that it is fully engaged before it gets to my fingers..ill post pics so that it makes more sense and people can help me better with advice on what i need to do..i was also thinking (and talking to my bro in law) about fluid clutches (i kno they probly dont have them for my bike but i wouldnt be surprised if they made a universal type thing, people are modifying everything to be badass pit bikes)..anybody using one right now? how do they compare to cable?

lol yea gotcha tho...ok heres pics..the first pic is where i want it to be fully engaged as to where u cant pull it in anymore to give the rest of my fingers that clearance to hold onto the grip..second pic is just another angle..third pic is how i have to pull it in to fully engage it and i cant hang onto the grip really..would a one finger lever maybe fix this? i figured itd still be the same stiffness to pull it in and maybe i might still need atleast two fingers to engage it

Attachments

• 2016-08-06 12.40.07.jpg
    2016-08-06 12.40.07.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20160806_123325.jpg
    20160806_123325.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2016-08-06 12.47.48.jpg
    2016-08-06 12.47.48.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2
First things first, replace that snapped clutch perch! And you should clutch when you downshift too!
The Asv levers and cheaper alternative MSR are reach adjustable and would likely help you a great deal! They come in shorter lengths too for the purpose of 2 finger use allowing the rest of your fingers to be free to grip the grip without being squished!

Last edited:
First things first, replace that snapped clutch perch! And you should clutch when you downshift too!
The Asv levers and cheaper alternative MSR are reach adjustable and would likely help you a great deal! They come in shorter lengths too for the purpose of 2 finger use allowing the rest of your fingers to be free to grip the grip without being squished!
great advice thank u..yea like if im riding a straightaway and i just want to slow down a bit ill just brake and downshift with the rpms till im in the gear i want but sumtimes (i guess most times now that i think about it) ill pull in clutch and downshift meanwhile i give it throttle to not bog out...i dont ride tracks i just ride around canal banks and corn fields/alfalfa..not sure if that makes a diff..

ps haha yea i havent ridden it, i just broke it yesterday..
Excellent if you're doing it and not even thinking about it!
You ok though? ( broken lever) The little 80+85's are great little bikes to start out on so nice one on choice of ride:ride: And it's red:thumb:

haha yea thank u..im 120ish 5'3 so it was a good height and fast enough to be fun and still scary lol...i love it really..ill probly just bore it or swap for a bigger motor but i love it as is now, if anything ill just add performance parts and make it a super badass little bike..power doesnt scare me, i can ride the thing pinned out to the max and ive ridden a 125 suzuki 2st also but i couldnt touch and if i cant touch the ground that tripps me out and i cant ride like that..thats why ive stuck to the 85..eventually ill probly get a 4st for trails or a badass quad..it just sux cuz we have all those gay red/green tag laws and so i cant really take mine just anywhere :/