Choices for first time

Bad news... I ripped the plastic shock dust sleeve thing... is that a big deal? do I need to fix it and/or how?
I'm guessing your talking about the upper front fork gaiters?
For your bike these gaiters should be readily available on fleabay or direct from Honda and shouldn't be too pricey but yes they are important as they keep all the crud off the chrome stanchions and seals free from debris so get it fixed before you ride it again if poss!

lol, now we just have to await all the :popcorn: Replies:lol:
Importance kinda depends on the climate you have I s'pose where I am it's always mud, mostly rain and both combined with split gaiters means woes for your chrome and seal but if your somewhere nice and dry its not a biggie!

Last edited:
lol, now we just have to await all the :popcorn: Replies:lol:
Importance kinda depends on the climate you have I s'pose where I am it's always mud, mostly rain and both combined with split gaiters means woes for your chrome and seal but if your somewhere nice and dry its not a biggie!
In DFW TX the weather is pretty dry. Could I just take both of those off and use "Shock Sox"? The guy who started the company is down here and sponsored a former friend of mine. I see them a lot on the Race type bikes...

How hard are they to replace?

Last edited:
In DFW TX the weather is pretty dry. Could I just take both of those off and use "Shock Sox"? The guy who started the company is down here and sponsored a former friend of mine. I see them a lot on the Race type bikes...

How hard are they to replace?
One clip either end so not too hard but forks need to come off! Can be done with or with out front wheel in place!
Forks off via the 8 pinch bolts on the upper and lower trees below the handlebars! Front brake lever and master cylinder will have to be removed from the bars or bars off first to allow the forks to slide down and drop out!
Make sure if your going to do it that you re-torque the pinch bolts again on refit!
Might be something you want to have a buddy who's done it before around!

One clip either end so not too hard but forks need to come off! Can be done with or with out front wheel in place!
Forks off via the 8 pinch bolts on the upper and lower trees below the handlebars! Front brake lever and master cylinder will have to be removed from the bars or bars off first to allow the forks to slide down and drop out!
Make sure if your going to do it that you re-torque the pinch bolts again on refit!
Might be something you want to have a buddy who's done it before around!
Yeaaaaah... so not going to be me doing it!! I'll have to look around for someones help... I want to learn but I don't want to kill myself or my bike in the process

Just remember if you do go for it, while the bike is on the jack or stand, if you remove the front end it will become back end heavy and fall! Be careful and strap it down round the bottom frame rails and place a bucket or box under the rear wheel!

Just remember if you do go for it, while the bike is on the jack or stand, if you remove the front end it will become backed heavy and fall! Be careful and strap it down round the bottom frame rails and place a bucket or box under the rear wheel!
:panic::crash: I am frightened lol

Nah it's all a big learning curve! Next year you'll be wanting to rebuild it lol
Just don't ever stop asking questions of those in the know! Not me though, im not a mechanic and have never raced competitivly but I know a little and happy to share what I do know!

Last edited:
Sooooo. I rode on Saturday and did decently. However my knee has been achy since then. Looks like I'm going to have to get a brace. Any suggestions? I went to an orthopedic and he was a jerk. I don't want to spend a crap ton of money just because it's a name brand