Cdi or coil

Just a thought, shavings on the crank positioning sensor will cause it to not fire as its not getting the signal to fire the spark plug, Learned that recently with my bike. :banghead:

Does the pic indicate shavings or your just sayin?? I did test the magneto anf it tested in spec sooo idk

There may not be a kill switch, but there was. That wire is likely lurking somewhere. If it shorts to the frame, then no spark.

The first thing to do is to make sure the wiring on the bike is good. That doesn't cost anything. check ever part of every wire involved in the ignition. I've seen broken wires where the insulation was still good. There was so much flex and vibration that the wire was broken inside the insulation. After all the wiring is known to be good, in my experience the order of failure is stator/pickup coils, ignition coil, and finally the CDI.

In most bikes the CDI is a very reliable and low failure part. Some bike are notorious to fry the CDI like the XT550 and XR650L.

Measuring the ohms of the stator, pickup or ignition coils doesn't mean that they are good. I've seen several stators that measured OK as far as the ohm reading, but were still bad.

I see a lot of shavings on that pickup coil. Those shavings kind of short out teh magnetic circuit and reduce the magnitude of the pulse. Get all of those out of there even if it means removing it to clean it.

There may not be a kill switch, but there was. That wire is likely lurking somewhere. If it shorts to the frame, then no spark.

The first thing to do is to make sure the wiring on the bike is good. That doesn't cost anything. check ever part of every wire involved in the ignition. I've seen broken wires where the insulation was still good. There was so much flex and vibration that the wire was broken inside the insulation. After all the wiring is known to be good, in my experience the order of failure is stator/pickup coils, ignition coil, and finally the CDI.

In most bikes the CDI is a very reliable and low failure part. Some bike are notorious to fry the CDI like the XT550 and XR650L.

Measuring the ohms of the stator, pickup or ignition coils doesn't mean that they are good. I've seen several stators that measured OK as far as the ohm reading, but were still bad.

I see a lot of shavings on that pickup coil. Those shavings kind of short out teh magnetic circuit and reduce the magnitude of the pulse. Get all of those out of there even if it means removing it to clean it.

Okay man, i did check the wiring at the track and all seemed good, i will clean up stator and such, but the old wires where the kill switch was are all taped up so it cant be grounding.

Ive narrowed it down to stator. If i stick screw driver in plug cap and put it to cylinder it sparks, but it dosent with my plug. Then i used my lawnmower to check my plug and sure enough it sparked.

Last edited:
Did not the CR500 came with three different types of stator set ups. As I understand it one was much better than the other two. I know I have seen one of the good one's used in an old Husqvarna rebuild.

Paw Paw

Is putting rope in ur jug to make engine not turn safe? I got puller but the engine turns when i try to get it tight. If so what kind of rope

Most flywheel pullers have two places for the wrenches so that the flywheel can be held while turning the other.
I have used rope in the past. but I am not fond of it. You could also use a strap wrench to hold the flywheel.

Paw Paw