Carbon Fiber Helmets

What are the recommendations for replacing a helmet in an event of a crash. I believe they are pretty much equal no matter what brand it is. I know you should not put a price on your head. But, dam those helmets are not cheap. That is a lot of cash to have it hit the ground a couple of times. Just to have it become unsafe to use.

What are the recommendations for replacing a helmet in an event of a crash. I believe they are pretty much equal no matter what brand it is. I know you should not put a price on your head. But, dam those helmets are not cheap. That is a lot of cash to have it hit the ground a couple of times. Just to have it become unsafe to use.
Bell and Shoei among others will do a free inspection if you send it to them.

As a rule of thumb, if it rocks your brain the helmet is probably compromised.

I have begun to favor the idea of buying something you can replace after one of those head rattlers. After taking a few apart since 1966 I kind of came to the conclusion that the liner quality was about the only difference in a top if the line priced helmet and an upper medium priced one.

I know carbon fiber is super strong when it comes to tensile strength, but for some reason I dont trust it as a helmet material. Maybe its because I see those race cars exploding upon impact. Then again im not hitting the ground at over 200 miles an hour. My question, what do you think about these helmets? I bought a fly carbon 2 without knowing it was carbon until I got it today. Dont ask :smirk:. It fits pretty good, and its really light. Being so light it makes it seem cheap, but it doesnt flex like like a plastic or fiber glass helmet. Someone talk me into this helmet so I can trust it a little more. Thanks :thumb:

Heres the pic

temporary_zps97428d09.jpg
I did not see where or even if you posted. How much did you pay for the helmet? You do not have to tell us if you do not want to. But, I bet it was around the price of a new 6D helmet. Like I said you do not have to tell us.

The 6D helmets are DOT and ECE (European standard) but not SNELL.

After knocking myself out and getting a concussion, I threw away my helmet and started looking into new ones. Through some connections I could get pretty much any helmet i wanted at a mid-pack price point. I decided to stick with a Shoei. I looked into the 6D's, tried them on and liked the fit. They are a slightly bigger helmet but i really couldn't say that I noticed the difference. they are a local company, about 4 miles from my house. i didn't go visit them though, thought about it.

This is off of their website 6D's website:
The 6D ATR-1 Helmet is certified to meet and exceed the U.S. DOT (Department of Transportation) FMVSS218 and the ECE (Economic Community of Europe) 22.05 safety standards. The ECE 22.05 standard is the most recognized international helmet standard, required by over 50 countries worldwide. The combination of our dual certified helmet to both DOT and ECE assures a broad range of high performance protection. While the DOT certification provides for penetration protection and max G loads at controlled dwell times, the ECE certification provides for high velocity impacts similar to Snell testing.

The ATR-1 off-road helmet is not Snell approved. Snell is a totally voluntary program, which is not required by any U.S. government safety authority or any major U.S. racing sanctioning body. Meeting Snell’s criteria would require the shell to be both stiffer and heavier than necessary, which, in the case of the 6D ATR-1 helmet, is contradictory to meeting the safety objectives set forth by our company.