Carbon Fiber Helmets

I know carbon fiber is super strong when it comes to tensile strength, but for some reason I dont trust it as a helmet material. Maybe its because I see those race cars exploding upon impact. Then again im not hitting the ground at over 200 miles an hour. My question, what do you think about these helmets? I bought a fly carbon 2 without knowing it was carbon until I got it today. Dont ask :smirk:. It fits pretty good, and its really light. Being so light it makes it seem cheap, but it doesnt flex like like a plastic or fiber glass helmet. Someone talk me into this helmet so I can trust it a little more. Thanks :thumb:

Heres the pic

temporary_zps97428d09.jpg

I know carbon fiber is super strong when it comes to tensile strength, but for some reason I dont trust it as a helmet material. Maybe its because I see those race cars exploding upon impact. Then again im not hitting the ground at over 200 miles an hour. My question, what do you think about these helmets? I bought a fly carbon 2 without knowing it was carbon until I got it today. Dont ask :smirk:. It fits pretty good, and its really light. Being so light it makes it seem cheap, but it doesnt flex like like a plastic or fiber glass helmet. Someone talk me into this helmet so I can trust it a little more. Thanks :thumb:

Heres the pic

temporary_zps97428d09.jpg

A couple things...
1) What do you mean by FLEX? Helmets (as I know) are supposed to flex a little so you can pull it "apart" to fit over your mellon.

2) Carbon fiber is supposed to be light weight which is why it feels light to you.

OK 3 things
3) Check the ratings on it... is it DOT and/or Snell approved? etc. etc. etc..

A couple things...
1) What do you mean by FLEX? Helmets (as I know) are supposed to flex a little so you can pull it "apart" to fit over your mellon.

2) Carbon fiber is supposed to be light weight which is why it feels light to you.

OK 3 things
3) Check the ratings on it... is it DOT and/or Snell approved? etc. etc. etc..

When I put it on my head it doesnt creak or flex like a plastic helmet. I know im just being paranoid :shocked:. It is snell and DOT approved. Disregard this thread... It was stupid :thumb:.

Is it AMA FIM approved?? If so dont question it. Just wear it. If its only DOT, Snell or ANSI its still pretty good. If there is any other ratings or no ratings to be found. Send it back.

My Thor Force II is a carbon fiber helmet. Its probably the best helmet Ive ever owned. Because its so much lighter than than anything else out there it feels like your not even wearing a helmet by comparison.

Is it AMA FIM approved?? If so dont question it. Just wear it. If its only DOT, Snell or ANSI its still pretty good. If there is any other ratings or no ratings to be found. Send it back.

My Thor Force II is a carbon fiber helmet. Its probably the best helmet Ive ever owned. Because its so much lighter than than anything else out there it feels like your not even wearing a helmet by comparison.

I've never heard of these registrars before... I thought that if it was Snell (for sure) and DOT approved yo uwere good toi go since they were the top registrars when it came to safety. Again, this is what I thought.

I don't know how the AMA tests helmets. In that past they DIDN'T, but they approved ones for racing in their events or disapproved them, from what I could tell in the 60's and 70's simply by reputation and how much of your head they covered. The age old drop test (does it bouce like a ball or simply bounce like it is being deflected) when you drop it on a hard floor, concrete, or pavement.

I've never heard of these registrars before... I thought that if it was Snell (for sure) and DOT approved yo uwere good toi go since they were the top registrars when it came to safety. Again, this is what I thought.

There are a few people I've tried selling helmets to who won't buy a Snell approved. Supposedly Snell only tests three parts of the helmet for impact, the two sides and the top in certain locations. A few helmet companies who are Snell "approved" have been caught reinforcing the parts hit to pass the test and then just skimping out on the rest of the helmet to save money. I know larger companies, like Fly for instance, probably dont do this. I dont know, I just think some people are retarded... kind of like me :D.

There are a few people I've tried selling helmets to who won't buy a Snell approved. Supposedly Snell only tests three parts of the helmet for impact, the two sides and the top in certain locations. A few helmet companies who are Snell "approved" have been caught reinforcing the parts hit to pass the test and then just skimping out on the rest of the helmet to save money. I know larger companies, like Fly for instance, probably dont do this. I dont know, I just think some people are retarded... kind of like me :D.

1) don't under estimate yourself...:thumb:
2) I doubt Snell would "overlook" the obvious OR they might feel the high impact or critical areas are in fact well protected resulting in an apporoval. Snell is UP THERE in equipment safety like UL is to the US regarding Electronic safety. :thumb:

Are your non SNELL buying friends so sure that any other agency tests more thoroughly?

SRAD97750

Staff member
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
"DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself."

Snell is in addition to DOT. Not in replacement of.
If you have the snell rating, then it's DOT approved as well.
No helmets can reach the mainstream market without being DOT approved.

Last edited: