Carbon Fiber Frame?

Carbon fiber structures can be built to do just about whatever is needed. I could see it on a MX/SX track as it's a somewhat a controlled environment. What carbon fiber lacks is impact resistance. One good impact on a nasty rock and your frame could be toast. Not exactly trail friendly.

With the weight rule I doubt that it would give much of an advantage in AMA racing.

James

Staff member
Carbon fiber structures can be built to do just about whatever is needed. I could see it on a MX/SX track as it's a somewhat a controlled environment. What carbon fiber lacks is impact resistance. One good impact on a nasty rock and your frame could be toast. Not exactly trail friendly.
Don't 'bang bars' in MX/SX as a little foot peg rub could comprise it.

Only thing I might be able to see it having an advantage is in FMX, don't those guys prefer super light bikes? However on the flip side they hit some insane gaps.
With the weight rule I doubt that it would give much of an advantage in AMA racing.
I think that the OEM frame rule would be the hardest issue to overcome.

Don't 'bang bars' in MX/SX as a little foot peg rub could comprise it.

Only thing I might be able to see it having an advantage is in FMX, don't those guys prefer super light bikes? However on the flip side they hit some insane gaps.

I think that the OEM frame rule would be the hardest issue to overcome.
dollar stock? dirt bike anyone?

If not frames, what about wheels, bars, seats, etc?

I'd think that trials bikes might benefit from the weight reduction. No idea if they have a weight or other similar rules. I know that the trials bikes are really light.

The FMX guys might benefit from the light weight, but they abuse the hell out of bikes when things don't go well.

*whistle

I wouldn't take that on an MX track personally. At least not if I wasn't the first person. Carbon Fiber has fatigue issues and doesn't like to flex well at all. It's like taking the issues of an aluminium frame and magnifying them. Brittle? Check. Dislike of flex? Check. Has to be stupid light though.

I would like to say that this is completely false, I know from personal experience that carbon fiber will flex, and that is why carbon fiber road bikes and mountain bikes have come so far, because the companies have found ways to make them flex and absorb impact, it all depends on how it's layered...

That being said, I still wouldn't ride a dirt bike with a CF frame because of the massive stress loads the frames take.

For that much money I could own 2 and a 1/2 Service Honda AF bikes. Id get a 250AF, and a 500AF with a roller for parts.:thumb:
I'd buy one CR500AF for climbing monster hills and a KX500AF for going across the desert really fast.

Oh and spare parts.

If not frames, what about wheels, bars, seats, etc?

I'd think that trials bikes might benefit from the weight reduction. No idea if they have a weight or other similar rules. I know that the trials bikes are really light.

The FMX guys might benefit from the light weight, but they abuse the hell out of bikes when things don't go well.
Wheels and bars seem like they'd get damaged as much or more(I'd go with more) and frames. Seats, I don't see how much weight can be saved switching from plastic:noidea:

or,,,one RM and $34,000 worth of land to build a track and ride :ride:
With the cost of farmland... That's like 3 acres:lol:

I would like to say that this is completely false, I know from personal experience that carbon fiber will flex, and that is why carbon fiber road bikes and mountain bikes have come so far, because the companies have found ways to make them flex and absorb impact, it all depends on how it's layered...

That being said, I still wouldn't ride a dirt bike with a CF frame because of the massive stress loads the frames take.
Dirt bikes put allot more stresses on a frame than a mountain or road bike frame no? To make it flexible you give up some strengths, that maybe on a bicycle is unimportant, but on something with a motor... kind of needed.

I wish pro MX rules didn't dictate that the bikes have to be consumer available. Handmades would be sooo much more interesting to watch. No weight limit? more competition!

I wish pro MX rules didn't dictate that the bikes have to be consumer available. Handmades would be sooo much more interesting to watch. No weight limit? more competition!

It used to be that way... Privateers were getting hammered so AMA brought in the production rule.... Factory riders were showing up with some crazy bikes that had 100k into the R&D just for a certain track and this was back in the early 80's.... then after the production rules were cast into effect you would actually get the occassional privateer coming in and pulling a podium or 2... The factories didnt like that so they bought some new rules with an AMA president (Steve White?) which leads us where we are today.... loud overpowered 4T bikes and a displacement ruling that was post dated 1982...... I think White Bros.(unrelated) actually started the 1st 4T national out in Cali in 85ish...