Breaking in new boots?

in the oven at the lowest setting, usually 170* for about 10 mins. put them on as tight as possible and walk for a few mins.
Mink oil and stuff just softens the material which is what you dont want... armor-all or leather jacket spray will help protect them from weather

in the oven at the lowest setting, usually 170* for about 10 mins. put them on as tight as possible and walk for a few mins.
Mink oil and stuff just softens the material which is what you dont want... armor-all or leather jacket spray will help protect them from weather

now THAT'S a big oven!!!!

seriously IMO the best bet is to just ride in the elements with em. a couple puddle splashes or some mud and then them drying off or getting hot from the sun all while you ride is gonna make em perfect.

seriously IMO the best bet is to just ride in the elements with em. a couple puddle splashes or some mud and then them drying off or getting hot from the sun all while you ride is gonna make em perfect.

It's not always that easy, I attempted to get on my bike and I couldn't even sit down with the boots on with my feet on the pegs right, let alone shift. I feel more uncomfortable walking and trying to sit on a bike then I did with my casts' when I broke my foot :shocked:

It's not always that easy, I attempted to get on my bike and I couldn't even sit down with the boots on with my feet on the pegs right, let alone shift. I feel more uncomfortable walking and trying to sit on a bike then I did with my casts' when I broke my foot :shocked:

if its that bad there is something wrong ... wrong size boots or something because there is no way you shouldnt be able to sit down... no amount of "breaking in" is gonna help that.

in my case i have had total opposite ends of the spectrum as far as boots go.

first pair were the cheapest crappy boots i could find ... Fly mavericks and i couldnt shift at first myself. coudnt get my foot all the way under... 2 or 3 rides and they were good tho.

Skip to a year later after i rolled a ankle i bought Sidi's These were way more uncomfy for me at first. So bad that it hurt my toes and i would get cramps while riding sometimes. These took a few more rides but after maybe 5 rides there are great and i could wear them all day long without any issue.

if its that bad there is something wrong ... wrong size boots or something because there is no way you shouldnt be able to sit down... no amount of "breaking in" is gonna help that.

in my case i have had total opposite ends of the spectrum as far as boots go.

first pair were the cheapest crappy boots i could find ... Fly mavericks and i couldnt shift at first myself. coudnt get my foot all the way under... 2 or 3 rides and they were good tho.

Skip to a year later after i rolled a ankle i bought Sidi's These were way more uncomfy for me at first. So bad that it hurt my toes and i would get cramps while riding sometimes. These took a few more rides but after maybe 5 rides there are great and i could wear them all day long without any issue.

Well I was thinking about exchanging the tech 3s for a pair of axo boxers, I think I'm gonna have to do a top end on my bike and that will give me an extra 100 bucks. And I will feel better about wearing a pair of 100 dollar boots that are uncomfortable vs. a pair of 200 dollar ones :lol:

Too bad they dont make a boot stretcher device like something you could pump up with air pressure to stretch it for a while before you wear them. Enjoy your new boots. I sure could use a pair.

Well I was thinking about exchanging the tech 3s for a pair of axo boxers, I think I'm gonna have to do a top end on my bike and that will give me an extra 100 bucks. And I will feel better about wearing a pair of 100 dollar boots that are uncomfortable vs. a pair of 200 dollar ones :lol:
just be careful if you go with a cheaper boot you will be replacing them faster. also you might hurt your feet more. :noidea:

So I took the kids out riding today. I also attemted to break in my top end. And I just threw the boots on strapped them down as tight as I could stand it and putted around doing my break in. It was rather uncomfortable for the first break in period. But by the time I loaded up the bikes I hardly noticed that they were as tight. So I think that after a couple of more rides they should be good to go.

Too bad they dont make a boot stretcher device like something you could pump up with air pressure to stretch it for a while before you wear them. Enjoy your new boots. I sure could use a pair.

they do... not specifically for MX boots but
wooden-shoe-stretcher-2.jpg

:prof: that actually could be a product that would sell... make a MX boot specific one and sell it to cycle gear :thumb: